Processor Chip Critically Overheated
6942 18 2018-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boverhultz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54354 ft
United States

Anyone else having this issue? I already opened a case with cutomer support but just wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem and if maybe its a known defect. I have only had the MA for 2 weeks. I was flying over a football field about 1M off the ground with my DJI goggles when I lost signal so I lifted my gogles to look for the MA but it was on the grass upside down. I think that the fan malfunctioned which overheated the chip and shut the drone off mid flight. Good thing I wasn't 300ft up over concrete otherwise the MA would have been destroyed. Now when i turn it on, after less than 1 minute I get the critically overheated error along with barometer, camera, air encoder and compass errors. So it looks like no flying for a while.
2018-3-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Wow that's unfortunate. I've never or rarely seen cases of overheating on Mavics so yea you are an unlucky guy

Did you ever hear the cooling fan on your Mavic Air? Normally, you should be able to hear the cooling fan if the aircraft is idle for 2-3 minutes. It's supposed to be quite loud.
2018-3-2
Use props
boverhultz
lvl.1
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-2 09:16
Wow that's unfortunate. I've never or rarely seen cases of overheating on Mavics so yea you are an unlucky guy

The fan used to come on before this happened but now it doesn't.
2018-3-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

boverhultz Posted at 2018-3-2 09:20
The fan used to come on before this happened but now it doesn't.

Heh DJI support will make a diagnostic when you them send your drone for repair. There ain't much to say apart that your drone is clearly a faulty unit.
2018-3-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

We are so sorry for the accident, since you have already sent in the drone, our repair team will take good care of it and make it clear for you, please post the case number here if you need any assistance during this process. We will do our best to assist.
2018-3-4
Use props
boverhultz
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-4 22:58
We are so sorry for the accident, since you have already sent in the drone, our repair team will take good care of it and make it clear for you, please post the case number here if you need any assistance during this process. We will do our best to assist.

CAS-1521345-Q2V3Y9
2018-3-5
Use props
jkoreanshop1987
New
Singapore

I had the same issue after flying it once in Bali. Processor chip overheated warning. There is a ticking sound and the fan cannot be heard spinning.
2018-3-13
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

Fan failure is the usual cause. Has to back for repair
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5eef4856
lvl.1
Chile

Been flying DJI for years now I loved the Mavic air by far the coolest drone I've had in all the models from the P4P which was my absolute favorite until Mavic Air. Since having the mavic really I'm like a lot of you haven't had many flights about 6 with no issues until now Processor chip overheated warning. I can't fly the drone it turns on I updated the firmware just fine thats not the issue I think the main reason is the fan doesn't turn on anymore for whatever reason. Because within 2 minutes the top back of the craft feels extremely hot. I thought my solution was take out the battery let sit for an hour because when I turned on the craft after about an hour it was working I could take off if I wanted but shortly after sitting idle the error came back Processor chip overheated warning. I will need help getting this replaced please DJI I don't think I purchased a care package but now I regret because I wasn't expecting an error like this to happen I can understand if I crashed the drone now it's not working. This is a big problem for me because I have barely used this drone no more than 100 minutes of flight time. Please DJI if your reading this please make good for me and replace this drone it looks brand new out the box I bought the fly more combo all registered to me I just want you guys to make it right by a long time flying customer of yours. I have 4 DJI Drones under my bed and this was my favorite until now. Scott Raley
2018-3-25
Use props
MARZOTRECE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2402 ft
Philippines

Same issue with my MA. Until now i do not have my drone yet and with the store i bought. They told me to wait for dji advise. Somebody from DJI will please help me? - Richard / Philippines
Screenshot_2018-04-27-22-34-52.jpg
2018-5-7
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

MARZOTRECE Posted at 2018-5-7 12:07
Same issue with my MA. Until now i do not have my drone yet and with the store i bought. They told me to wait for dji advise. Somebody from DJI will please help me? - Richard / Philippines

Hi! What is your firmware versions of Mavic and RC?
2018-5-7
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

MARZOTRECE Posted at 2018-5-7 12:07

probably a bad/faulty fan.  Return to store if you still can.
2018-5-7
Use props
kenserfud
New
United States

Same thing here though I hadn't even flown the MA today. I've only had the damn thing for three weeks...
2018-6-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I cannot believe these are genuinely overheating even if the fan is broken.. it would take longer than 5 minutes to bake the SoC, just not enough thermal energy to saturate the block of aluminum within that time.  I’m going to assume that the SoC is around 5watt TDP.. it’s actually probably less like 2.5Watt TDP... but even at 5 watts it wouldn’t be enough thermal energy to saturate that block within 2-5 minutes...

That is unless... the ESCs are thermally connected to the same HeatSink.. than yes that would saturate the block way more rapidly I could see even with a functioning fan that may be too much at that point to last an entire battery.l before overheating. but if the SoC and the ESCs are not thermally connected, it shouldn’t be baking the SoC.. infact the air intake is behind the gimbal which acts as a bit of a scoop that should be enough air flow at speed to cool it off without a fan.. the fan is there in same way a modern car has a fan on radiator.. mostly there when there is no air flow such as stationary or in slow traffic.. doesn’t need to run all the time and likely won’t as long as the temps are sustainable.  My gaming computer does this too, as long as everything is cool enough all the fans stop, and has a very quiet fab curve.. infact I can game on my GPU for a good 5 minutes at 4K high settings before the fan comes on because that’s how long takes me to pass thermal threshold.  

So long story short, something really wrong... either ESCs are thermally connected to the SoC... the app is misreading tempatures and shutting the drone off, the drone is misreading tempatures ir there is no thermal paste between the heatsink and the SoC and surrounding parts and heatsink cannot absorb any thermal energy because of that.  

2018-6-17
Use props
Royyab
New
Israel

Last Saturday It happened to me with my MA . While he was Hovered I got the message about the overheating which made my MA started to go up and go home. The Mavic started to get stuck in the branches, which eventually caused him to crash, but luckily it was 10 meters high and he was not badly hurt. After I turned it off and turned it on I did not hear his fan in action and got the alarms on the overheating again. When I returned the Mavic to the store for inspection they told me that it happened to someone before me the overheating warning and they sent it to the DJI. Now I'm waiting.
2018-6-17
Use props
djiuser_UbjPkFcil93r
New
Flight distance : 4009 ft
United States

I'm having this issue with my spark. I have only had my spark for about 5 days.
No crahes all smooth flights untell today when this error popped up. I landed it safe and now awaiting for the 3rd party through wallmart to respond to my email about doing a exchange for another unit.
2018-6-21
Use props
djiuser_hAxdWv5fxX4X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 106125 ft

It is happening to mine within minutes of flying.
2018-6-22
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

djiuser_hAxdWv5fxX4X Posted at 2018-6-22 12:22
It is happening to mine within minutes of flying.

Do you hear a fan turn on at all?  if not it's bad fan and send in for replacement/repair.  Same thing as having a PC fan not working.  Will overheat in minutes.
2018-6-22
Use props
vlaporte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft

My Spark overheats and gives error code - barometer error due to overhearing. IF you fly immediately it stays warm but not hot.
If you turn on and not fly it gets very warm on top of drone - not battery and get above error.
I took top off and to view fan and heat sink - now stays just warm not hot and no error code and flys fine.
After reviewing many posts about "hot Spark" I decided that the cooling fan needed more intake air to cool properly. So I drilled an array of air intake holes in the top shell of my Spark.
Now it stays cool even at rest (power on but not flying).
I also bought a micro USB to iPhone cable which makes setup link (controller to iphone) much easier - just plug in - no wifi setup period.
Happy Landings,
Vince
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules