Motor Current Error. Check your propellers and fly with caution.
12Next >
16504 51 2018-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok so I've searched the forums and other forums for the error message "Motor Current Error. Check your propellers and Fly with Caution". This is on my Mavic Pro Platinum. I have not seen where this issue has been resolved. Maybe someone here knows. It only happens in sport mode and I've tried 3 brand new sets of props.and still get it occasionally. Hopefully someone can help. I want to take this one to the Caribbean with me in three weeks. Thanks
2018-3-3
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It sounds like you are overloading the motors which is why it is only happening in sport mode. Do you recall what how you were flying when the error occurred? Were you on full throttle and making abrupt turns (yaw) or climb?
2018-3-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi, Are you using after market props, I have read of issues that those props are causing motors to get hot and give the over current message
2018-3-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-3-3 22:19
Hi, Are you using after market props, I have read of issues that those props are causing motors to get hot and give the over current message

They are DJI props from DJI
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This tends to happen more in cold climates and very fast winds - ease off on the sticks when flying in these conditions and the warnings stop.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here is my flight log
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/JVW5GO4RE7QVFEPI03D9/
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-4 03:42
This tends to happen more in cold climates and very fast winds - ease off on the sticks when flying in these conditions and the warnings stop.

It was 65 degrees though and very little wind
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-3-3 22:05
It sounds like you are overloading the motors which is why it is only happening in sport mode. Do you recall what how you were flying when the error occurred? Were you on full throttle and making abrupt turns (yaw) or climb?

I uploaded my flight logs. I don't see anything unusual!
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-3-4 03:45
It was 65 degrees though.

Has happened with me in sub zero temps but never in normal weather conditions. Perhaps look into changing your props. If it persists then it may be best to return it for diagnostic tests - you don't want the motors to stop mid flight!
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-4 03:47
Has happened with me in sub zero temps but never in normal weather conditions. Perhaps look into changing your props. If it persists then it may be best to return it for diagnostic tests - you don't want the motors to stop mid flight!

I've changed them with 3 sets now. I'm going to calibrate the IMU and see if that does anything. Hopefully it's something minor otherwise it will go back.
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-3-4 03:50
I've changed them with 3 sets now. I'm going to calibrate the IMU and see if that does anything. Hopefully it's something minor otherwise it will go back.

Fingers crossed. Perhaps refresh the FW too using Assistant 2.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-4 03:51
Fingers crossed. Perhaps refresh the FW too using Assistant 2.

I will try that too. I've seen in some other forums where refreshing the FW fixed it. This seems to be a common ocurance with the MPP
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-3-4 03:54
I will try that too. I've seen in some other forums where refreshing the FW fixed it. This seems to be a common ocurance with the MPP

2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for your assistance A CW
2018-3-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

You didn’t mention if you were flying full throttle whilst raising the altitude?  Had you just begun flying?  Both sticks full forward.?
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-3-4 05:11
You didn’t mention if you were flying full throttle whilst raising the altitude?  Had you just begun flying?  Both sticks full forward.?

I was flying full throttle. Going straight. I just refreshed my firmware and recalibrated the IMU and I'm still getting the error.
2018-3-4
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

I have had this issue before.  It does happen in sport mode, full throttle, into a head wind or tail wind sometimes.  The motors are working overtime trying to compensate for strong wind gusts.  In my opinion, if you over amp the motors for to long  a time, you could damage the windings on the motors.  This is just my 2 cents.   I do alot of mountain flying with usually gusy wind conditions.  I try to pick days that are pretty calm, but you can never tell for sure.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I reinstalled the firmware and calibrated everything. Now its doing it in normal mode also. I'll contact DJI in the morning unless on of the DJI admins chime in here.
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-3-4 03:55
Thanks for your assistance A CW

No probs - bottom line is to simply ease off the sticks a little in colder temps and stronger winds. It's just a gentle yellow warning in the app and nothing critical to worry about providing you fly with caution in those conditions as the warning message states. Fly safe mate.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MBrown Posted at 2018-3-4 07:04
I have had this issue before.  It does happen in sport mode, full throttle, into a head wind or tail wind sometimes.  The motors are working overtime trying to compensate for strong wind gusts.  In my opinion, if you over amp the motors for to long  a time, you could damage the windings on the motors.  This is just my 2 cents.   I do alot of mountain flying with usually gusy wind conditions.  I try to pick days that are pretty calm, but you can never tell for sure.

Thanks. I'll see what DJI says tomorrow.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-4 08:52
No probs - bottom line is to simply ease off the sticks a little in colder temps and stronger winds. It's just a gentle yellow warning in the app and nothing critical to worry about providing you fly with caution in those conditions as the warning message states. Fly safe mate.

I'm going to check with DJI just to make sure. I'm supposed to be taking this to the Caribbean with me in just under 3 weeks.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE; I sent my Mavic to DJI today.
2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

please keep us posted

how many flights you have on that mavic?  you maybe have bad motor causing it to draw to much current hence the error code
2018-3-5
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

drone_user Posted at 2018-3-5 13:37
please keep us posted  

how many flights you have on that mavic?  you maybe have bad motor causing it to draw to much current hence the error code

3 1/2 hours for a total of 27 flights. I only have had it for 27 days.
2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-3-5 13:40
3 1/2 hours for a total of 27 flights. I only have had it for 27 days.

that's not that much air time, have you had any crashes?
2018-3-5
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

drone_user Posted at 2018-3-5 20:40
that's not that much air time, have you had any crashes?

No crashes, it was that way out of the box.
2018-3-6
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE: DJI replaced my MPP. all is good now. Thanks DJI
2018-4-3
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Glad to hear you got it worked out.  
2018-4-3
Use props
Robogo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73343 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I have a Mavic Air (only a few weeks old) and today I saw this error message while I was flying. There was no wind whatsoever, temperature was like 23°C (~75°F), sunny. I flew my drone yesterday and 3 days last weekend and had no problem with it at all. After yesterday's flights when I came home I updated the firmware (.0400) and then I received this error today. First I've got it in Sport mode (only did like 5 seconds of it tho') then later I've got the error kinda randomly. When I was flying slower or faster, even when hovering, did not matter (I have recorded my screen). The props are brand new basically.
Any ideas? Thoughts?
Thank you guys.

Kind regards, Rob
2018-5-6
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-6 10:32
Hi All,

I have a Mavic Air (only a few weeks old) and today I saw this error message while I was flying. There was no wind whatsoever, temperature was like 23°C (~75°F), sunny. I flew my drone yesterday and 3 days last weekend and had no problem with it at all. After yesterday's flights when I came home I updated the firmware (.0400) and then I received this error today. First I've got it in Sport mode (only did like 5 seconds of it tho') then later I've got the error kinda randomly. When I was flying slower or faster, even when hovering, did not matter (I have recorded my screen). The props are brand new basically.

I sent mine back to DJI and they replaced it.
2018-5-6
Use props
Robogo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Kevin Halle Posted at 2018-5-6 11:17
I sent mine back to DJI and they replaced it.

I refreshed the firmware via the DJI Assistant and checked the props (removed and put them back). I'm going to try it tomorrow. If I'll get the error message again I have to find out how to send it back.

Did you choose Propulsion Error when you requested repair?

I will talk to the online support on Tuesday (Bank Holiday tomorrow in the UK).

2018-5-6
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-6 12:04
I refreshed the firmware via the DJI Assistant and checked the props (removed and put them back). I'm going to try it tomorrow. If I'll get the error message again I have to find out how to send it back.

Did you choose Propulsion Error when you requested repair?

Yes, it was a propulsion error.
2018-5-6
Use props
shyd
New
Flight distance : 366414 ft

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-6 10:32
Hi All,

Hi all,

today I saw the message the first time like Robogo did. Conditions were exactly the same as Robogo describes. It was the first flight with the .0400 firmware. My overall flight time with the Mavic Air is about 3h though.

Regards,
Dennis
2018-5-6
Use props
Robogo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

shyd Posted at 2018-5-6 12:10
Hi all,

today I saw the message the first time like Robogo did. Conditions were exactly the same as Robogo describes. It was the first flight with the .0400 firmware. My overall flight time with the Mavic Air is about 3h though.

Hi Dennis,

Interesting... so perhaps it is a firmware issue?
But unfortunately we can't go back to the previous one or can we?
2018-5-6
Use props
shyd
New

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-6 12:18
Hi Dennis,

Interesting... so perhaps it is a firmware issue?

Hi Robogo,

I hope so!
Well, I don't know if we can go back. I'll take a look at some other flights the next days. Perhaps more and more people are getting this message and maybe there will be fix for that soon. Let's see.
2018-5-6
Use props
Robogo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

shyd Posted at 2018-5-6 23:32
Hi Robogo,

I hope so!

Well, I flew a bit today (all 3 batteries) and I did see that message again. Not as many times as yesterday but at least 2-3 times in that 45-50 minutes I flew. I will try to have a chat with the customer services tomorrow and see what they say.
Before the update it said you can not downgrade from this update and when you connect your drone to the DJI Assistant 2 it only shows you the actual firmware but not the previous ones. Perhaps there is an unofficial way to revert it back to a previous one?

Any updates with yours Dennis?

Anyone else has this problem with the new firmware?
2018-5-7
Use props
shyd
New

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-7 10:25
Well, I flew a bit today (all 3 batteries) and I did see that message again. Not as many times as yesterday but at least 2-3 times in that 45-50 minutes I flew. I will try to have a chat with the customer services tomorrow and see what they say.
Before the update it said you can not downgrade from this update and when you connect your drone to the DJI Assistant 2 it only shows you the actual firmware but not the previous ones. Perhaps there is an unofficial way to revert it back to a previous one?

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences!
I didn't take a look at downgradeability yet.

Sadly there were no time to fly today, so I don't have any news on this. Let's see if I will get something more by tomorrow.
2018-5-7
Use props
Robogo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

shyd Posted at 2018-5-7 10:36
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences!
I didn't take a look at downgradeability yet.

You are welcome. I'm trying to figure out if it's only my drone or software issue.
I will look into the downgrade option if there is such a thing somehow....

Ok, please let us know of your findings ;-)
2018-5-7
Use props
shyd
New

Robogo Posted at 2018-5-7 10:40
You are welcome. I'm trying to figure out if it's only my drone or software issue.
I will look into the downgrade option if there is such a thing somehow....

Today there was time for two flights with one battery.
The message only popped up once during the first flight.
In both flights I switched to sports mode right after takeoff. There were quite high winds.
2018-5-8
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Today I was flying after updating to v01.00.0400, and at the end of 1st battery I got Red error: Motor current error. The message appeared only for 2 sec after I pushed full forward + full down, also there was side wind about 6 m\s and temp was 21C. I landed, checked props, and after that I spend another two batteries flying OK.
2018-5-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules