o(^-^)o
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hi.

I tried for two weeks now to get an even look of the pictures and videos made
with my OSMO+. I just cant figure out how to achive that?

The problem is, that pictures and videos only is in focus in the center and not in
the left and right side. What am I doing wrong?

I tried to calibrate gimbal, make lens calibration, reset and so, but the result is
the same. The lens is also totaly clean so thats not the problem.

Look at the picture attached and You can see. (Look at the brick's on the
right side of the house.. They are unclear and unsharp.

House

House

2018-3-4
Use props
Orind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129754 ft
United States

Looks like depth of field issue--what was the shutter speed and f stop?
2018-3-4
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Orind Posted at 2018-3-4 08:45
Looks like depth of field issue--what was the shutter speed and f stop?

I was shooting in AUTO-mode, so cant tell you, but Ill try be aware of the settings
and record in MANUAL-mode next time, to compare the results.
2018-3-4
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

let us know what you learn so that we can all understand how to capture images correctly.
2018-3-6
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-3-6 09:10
let us know what you learn so that we can all understand how to capture images correctly.

I’ll do as soon as possible
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

These units are based on the process of tapping to focus. Also, you can try to focus your camera in real time by turning on/off the auto focus option.
2018-3-6
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-6 09:44
These units are based on the process of tapping to focus. Also, you can try to focus your camera in real time by turning on/off the auto focus option.

Hi Mark.

Thanks for answering my question regarding the unsharp picture "problem".
I understand what you are saying about tap-to-focus. Thats similar to my DSLR,
and other pocket camera's
The difference here is, that when I take a photo with my other camera's, Canon,
GoPro, Panasonic etc, the picture i get a nice picture or video almost 100% sharp
in hole the view-field. If I deside to focus on a specific area in the view I can tap, to
be sure that part will for sure stay sharp / in focus. But it does not give me a result
of the rest of my picture is blury, unsharp or way out of focus.
Thats what happen with the OSMO, and thats not a sheap camera for sure!.

If I do record a video by paning from left to right slowly as I suppose should be possible
with this type of camera, then only the very center of by recording will be crisp and sharp.
Exactly as the picture of my house.

I realy cant imagine that theis expensiv piece of hardware is ment to work like that. I realy hope
that it's me doing something wrong in the settings. Because that kind of results cant be used
to anything related to Pro or semi-pro work for me, and then it's a waste of money buying
the Osmo+.
2018-3-7
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Am I the only one with this problem?
Just made some new pictures today with manual photo settings.
I get same result as the first picture I posted in this tread.
Tap-focus or Infinit-focus same result.
I can take exactly same picture with my dslr, compact camera or mobile phone. They are perfect.
Is this a hardware issue / defectiv device or is it realy not better than this?

DJI?
2018-3-9
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Aloha

FYI.. I desided to try fix this problem by my self, and goes what... IT WORKED!!!

What I did was downgrading the firmware to the prior version via SD-card. Then I downloaded
the latest version to SD-card and upgraded one more time.
Last I did a lense calibration as described in the guide attached to the firmware download file, by
finding an objekt at least 50 mar away, pointing at that and start calibration.

Today I was shooting some video with the OSMO+ at a handball tournament, and also made some
pictures.
The pictures was nice and sharp looking from edge to edge, and the same was the video's
By switching to manual video settings doing some tweaking, the result was even more better.

If this result is going to stay, the OSMO+ is exactly what I expected.. PERFECT..
2018-3-11
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

FarmerMac Posted at 2018-3-11 03:23
Aloha

FYI.. I desided to try fix this problem by my self, and goes what... IT WORKED!!!

I'm giving that a try.
2018-3-13
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

FarmerMac Posted at 2018-3-11 03:23
Aloha

Hmm... tried this several times and no matter how many times I calibrate Infinity just means everything is in soft focus.

When it is calibrating, it starts with a very wide angle, then goes to a middle angle, then a zoomed in angle in order to calibrate. I assume it is averaging the focus out.

I never get that wide angle even when zoomed out as far as possible. It stays at what calibration takes to be the middle angle. Is that a sign that something is wrong with my camera?

The image also seems very noisy even in the brightest of light with the iso right down.
2018-3-14
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Lwgray 0 Posted at 2018-3-14 23:42
Hmm... tried this several times and no matter how many times I calibrate Infinity just means everything is in soft focus.

When it is calibrating, it starts with a very wide angle, then goes to a middle angle, then a zoomed in angle in order to calibrate. I assume it is averaging the focus out.

Im sorry You cant get it to work.
When you do the calibration are you then sure you place an object in
the center of the screen that is at least 50 meters away?
2018-3-15
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

FarmerMac Posted at 2018-3-15 00:03
Im sorry You cant get it to work.
When you do the calibration are you then sure you place an object in
the center of the screen that is at least 50 meters away?

As far as I can tell its fifty metres away... or more.
2018-3-15
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

Lwgray 0 Posted at 2018-3-15 06:27
As far as I can tell its fifty metres away... or more.

I made several tests yesterday and all is fine now. Actualy I get the
best results by using infinit focus.

Maybe your device is defective?
2018-3-16
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

This is the best I've managed to get Infinity. This is a screen grab with one on Infinity and the other on AF... The AF is better. Infinity is soft. You can best tell from the writing on the wall in the top right of the image and the leaves of the trees.

I've finally eliminated noise by putting it on Manual at 50 shutter speed and 100 iso. (Though it insists of defaulting to 60 shutter speed no matter that I put it on manual and am shooting 25fps.) And I've put an ND16 filter on. It is very bright where I live. Probably this is not much use for night images, but walking and talking shots in the dark is probably going to lead you over a cliff... I wouldn't go much over 200 ISO on this camera. It gets very noisy very quickly. Shutter speed over 50 for 25fps looks ok up to about 100. Then it starts being noticeable not in a good way.

I've turned sharpness down two notches. Which sounds counterintuitive, given my complaints of soft focus, but with AF focusing you get a better sharp image with sharpness not just off but down... even if it keeps on refocusing when you'd rather just lock it. Regardless of whether the sharpner was +1 0 or in this case -2, Infinity was always soft.

Infinity is soft regardless of how many times you recalibrate... I think a means of locking the AF once you've focused would be more useful. Is there a way of doing this and I've missed it? I assume Infinity sort of averages out a focal setting, but AF gives a better image and so why not let one lock that off? In very bright light you have a big depth of focus so it is in effect infinite focusing. And as the aperture opens in low light, I'd say infinity simply gets worse and you're still better off with AF.

It would be nice to be able to monitor the sound as this was a very noisy environment and there was a lot of clipping from the radio mikes. I have had pretty decent sound from this, despite everyone telling me the sound on these is useless. However, I've discovered the main issue with the sound is that you cannot monitor properly in the field. That indicator only has one bar that flashes red and you really can't see it unless you are constantly concentrating on it. It needs a big warning sign when levels go beyond the odd pop and bang. And despite my setting the sound at 8, the level defaults to 30 once I've stopped shooting and closed all things down... One more thing to remember when on a shoot!

I think I've got this working as well as it can... I think the software needs a better sound monitor and a means of locking the AF once you've focused. I've no idea how they can fix infinity on this... take more setting to find an average? Have it respond to shifting DOF? I suspect Infinity simply cannot work and that a means of locking the AF is the simplest way to fix this issue with this camera.

Oh, and definitely D-log is the only colour setting. You can get some decent colour grading plug ins that let you sort out a colour grade you like without having to get too technical. A little contrast, a touch of vibrancy, some sharpness in the details, can go a long way to making the image match the footage from the other camera's you would use...

2018-3-17
Use props
Afro_Ghost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36447 ft
Mexico

FarmerMac Posted at 3-11 03:23
Aloha

Hey, do you have "after" photos o videos taken?

I've been reading a lot of posts with this problem, my OSMO as well, but I still don't reach the sharpness. I'll try this and comment below if I achieve the calibration =)
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules