Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HELP PLEASE! Mavic Air lost signal and no where to be found
4060 20 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189026 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,
I have recently took my mavic air for one if its first flights.
I took off from the side of a road which is approx 1010ft above sea level.
The weather conditions permitted however it was at the upper limits of winds speed of 25mph westward direction.
The aircraft took off and it was stable at first but later on it seemed like the wind took it away, it kept going further and further behind me, I pushed the left stick up to compensate the drift but nothing seemed to work.
The connection started going and I panicked and selected RTH mode. It worked at first but the connection with the RC went again. So the data downlink was lost for 201 seconds the most.
After I regained connection, the aircraft was still on RTH mode however the battery level was critical and it started to land on its own.
After that,  the connection completely was lost and I was never able to regain it. Later I looked on the map to see the last known location, and it was somewhat 4000 feet west of the take off point over a location of 715ft above sea level.
With a height of 184ft above the take off location.
So considering the altitude difference with the take off point and the last known point, the aircraft would be 480ft above the last known point.
I tried to look at the last known location but wasn't able to find it at all.
I'm just asking for guidance if anyone would be able to draw the rough estimate of the landing site from the last known location if I provide the airdata flight log.
Thanks very much in advance.

This is the airdata flight log of the flight:
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=iwlEwb
2018-3-4
Use props
Wyke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Given how thick those woods look, I’m not surprised you’re having problems finding it but as it entered auto land, I’m thinking it’s got to be near its last known position. Up a tree probably.
2018-3-4
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I agree. Only a hundred feet or so west of the Oldham Road. I think you have a great chance of finding it. Zoom in on the Airdata map and you can see your Mavic went back and forth a bit. If you have your own location set on your phone you can probably walk yourself close to the crash site. I'd start by looking up!
2018-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Use link below much more information. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link, will see if we can help

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Looks like it auto landed in critical battery, if you can load ph logs then we should be able to pinpoint location, alternatively if you play back your flight in app just above slider at bottom of page you will see your coordinates, go to end of flight and you will see above your slider your coordinates.
2018-3-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If you regained the signal when the drone entered into Critical Low landing mode, that last location you can view on the app might be the last location of the drone, but if it was windy, or any other factors, it is hard to say. But you can go the app and check the last coordination and find the drone. At the same time, please also contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis if the drone is under warranty period (within 12 months old), if it's a warranty case, we will compensate the drone according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-4
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-4 18:47
If you regained the signal when the drone entered into Critical Low landing mode, that last location you can view on the app might be the last location of the drone, but if it was windy, or any other factors, it is hard to say. But you can go the app and check the last coordination and find the drone. At the same time, please also contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis if the drone is under warranty period (within 12 months old), if it's a warranty case, we will compensate the drone according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support

Thank you very much for your assistance, regarding what you have just said about the last known coordinates from the app, ive been using that location since friday to find it but i think its gone forever im afraid.   ive contacted dji support and raised a case number and the analysis team are in decision as to whether this will be a warranty case or not..
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-4 07:33
Use link below much more information. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link, will see if we can help

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

here you go, ive uploaded the log.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/RBBMN5J8MN5CMU4Z7KSQ/#
2018-3-6
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Not sure if this will help. I looked at your CSV files and checked the KML file. I see that the Mavic Air auto landed from the flight path where  I circled in the photos.
If there was no wind it should of dropped straight down. If you use Google Earth you can line up the flight path and estimate the drones location.

2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-6 10:58
Not sure if this will help. I looked at your CSV files and checked the KML file. I see that the Mavic Air auto landed from the flight path where  I circled in the photos.
If there was no wind it should of dropped straight down. If you use Google Earth you can line up the flight path and estimate the drones location.
[view_image]

eh, im really confused. looking at the last AC location that flight path you provided seems to be more north than the one ive got in the flight log?
thats amazing how youve just mapped that haha i really appreciate it man!
2018-3-6
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-3-6 11:09
eh, im really confused. looking at the last AC location that flight path you provided seems to be more north than the one ive got in the flight log?
thats amazing how youve just mapped that haha i really appreciate it man!

Here is a straight down view of your flight.
It was a nice straight flight path except where it ziz -zaged  at the end. I would of thought RTH  would not of done that.

2018-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-3-6 10:39
here you go, ive uploaded the log.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/RBBMN5J8MN5CMU4Z7KSQ/#

THi 0k, your name is too long, looking at your log at 4.13 RTH was initiated from 4.13 to 5.48 your Aircraft was loosing ground I’m presuming because of strong winds, at 5.49 you lost downlink for almost 4 minutes your aircraft maintained altitude but looked like it was being blown backwards, my thinking is you lost signal because area you were flying in at the time above plenty of trees, trees are a great source of soaking up radio waves so this is one possibility for loosing radio signal.
During the loss of downlink your aircraft lost a lot of ground almost 2500 ft I’m presuming it was a stronger wind at 200 ft than you thought, there wasn’t much you could do with no radio signal, one thing I would say is when ever your flying any distance you should always fly away from home into the wind just in case similar happens.

B1houdini has given you good location as to where you might be able to find your aircraft it should not be damaged as it had plenty of battery to land. I hope you find it. Good luck.

2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-6 12:03
THi 0k, your name is too long, looking at your log at 4.13 RTH was initiated from 4.13 to 5.48 your Aircraft was loosing ground I’m presuming because of strong winds, at 5.49 you lost downlink for almost 4 minutes your aircraft maintained altitude but looked like it was being blown backwards, my thinking is you lost signal because area you were flying in at the time above plenty of trees, trees are a great source of soaking up radio waves so this is one possibility for loosing radio signal.
During the loss of downlink your aircraft lost a lot of ground almost 2500 ft I’m presuming it was a stronger wind at 200 ft than you thought, there wasn’t much you could do with no radio signal, one thing I would say is when ever your flying any distance you should always fly away from home into the wind just in case similar happens.

haha i know i need to change it, only recently got this account.
okay its been lost since friday and pretty crappy weather has been churning up this location so id be surprised if the drone was completely intact and the internals werent water logged.
what do you think the state of the drone would be after a few days of it being lost? is it weatherproof?

ive also contacted Dji and opened up a case number.
im guessing it would be highly unlikely for them to replace my aircraft under warranty?
2018-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-3-6 12:42
haha i know i need to change it, only recently got this account.
okay its been lost since friday and pretty crappy weather has been churning up this location so id be surprised if the drone was completely intact and the internals werent water logged.
what do you think the state of the drone would be after a few days of it being lost? is it weatherproof?

Well you did the right thing creating a case you never really know with dji. Aircraft is not completely waterproof but as long as it’s not completely immersed in water it’s usually recoverable, if it’s in open ground it could have been picked up but I think it’s worth getting some help and giving the area a once over before you give up, maybe try searching within 50 metres circumference of where you think it came down.
2018-3-6
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-3-6 12:42
haha i know i need to change it, only recently got this account.

"im guessing it would be highly unlikely for them to replace my aircraft under warranty?"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will chock this up to pilot error. Sorry for your loss, it may be salvageable if the battery went totally dead before it started raining. If you find it put it in a Zip Lock baggie with some descant (dry rice) for a couple of days, throw the battery away and buy a new one. If nothing is retrieved hopefully DJI will give you a 30% discount on another one, you only need to purchase the drone and however many batteries you want.
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-6 13:04
"im guessing it would be highly unlikely for them to replace my aircraft under warranty?"

okay thats fine, just waiting on their analysis confirmation. how much is the mavic air on its own by the way ? if anybody knows??
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-6 13:04

yeah just got the analysis confirmation and they did infact chock it up to pilot error.
instead of a 30 percent discount they offered a measaly 15 percent.. is there any point in fighting my case so i can get a better discount? As i dont really want to steer away from DJI
2018-3-7
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-3-7 09:38
yeah just got the analysis confirmation and they did infact chock it up to pilot error.
instead of a 30 percent discount they offered a measaly 15 percent.. is there any point in fighting my case so i can get a better discount? As i dont really want to steer away from DJI

Fighting them is a tough road to hoe, if you had the drone to send back they may increase the discount, I would do as suggested above and give it your best shot to recover it, hopefully you can find it.
2018-3-7
Use props
MoNoAd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 946788 ft
Brunei

Since you lost the MA, whats your next plan, are you going to buy another MA? What are you going to do with the left over such as battery, Remote Control and other accessories you have purchase?
2018-8-7
Use props
djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hey all, i did forget to update but after 8 days of searching for the drone, i finally found it amongst the woods, within a 5 metre radius from the last known GPS coordinates. It is a sturdy bit of equipment to say it withstood the harsh wintry weather and rain! i had to open it up and use electronic solvents to remove any moisture that could harm the circuit boards but other than that it still works a charm to this day!
just another case where Dji has been proven to build solid and reliable products!
2018-8-7
Use props
travelswithlewi
First Officer
Flight distance : 241109 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_A4NKykrqhg0k Posted at 2018-8-7 00:54
Hey all, i did forget to update but after 8 days of searching for the drone, i finally found it amongst the woods, within a 5 metre radius from the last known GPS coordinates. It is a sturdy bit of equipment to say it withstood the harsh wintry weather and rain! i had to open it up and use electronic solvents to remove any moisture that could harm the circuit boards but other than that it still works a charm to this day!
just another case where Dji has been proven to build solid and reliable products!

Amazing news, glad you found it in the end!
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules