Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
petsafe wireless dog fence = strong interference
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grantiago
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1262736 ft
United States

Just a heads-up. I haven't seen this anywhere else in the forums so I wanted to share my experiences.  
We have a Petsafe wireless dog fence. It works with a base-station that emits a wireless signal that sets a perimeter.
The dogs wear collars with a reciever.
If they go near the limit, the collars emit a warning beep. They know better than to go beyond that.

I usually start the drone in the house and walk out to an overlook on my property -- outside of the perimiter of the dog's wireless signal;
Which had never occured to me. Though I had noticed if I flew past my usual landing zone, and unknown to me, into the dog perimeter,  the drone became hard to control. I just shrugged this of as lack of control on my part.

On startup, in the house, I always get the warning of strong interference. I assumed this was from the wireless router inside the house. By the time I get to the overlook  -- take-off zone, the warning is gone.

Today I was flying in a partly cloudy sky. The sun came out and I steped back into the shade to see the screen better -- where the dogs were sitting. In doing this I stepped back inside the perimeter of the dog fence. Got the signal lost warning and, for lack of a better word the camera image, became intermitent. I stepped back into the sun to visually track the drone and got the signal back.

I didn't figure it out at first. Shut down,  got on the www and did a little trouble-shooting, investigating. To make a long story short. Stepping back and forth into and out of the pet perimeter kills my image and controller signal.

The range of the dog fence is about 36 meters! I'm sure that goes up as well. If your neighbors have pets I would make sure to fly at at least 50 meters altitude.

2018-3-4
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Good helpful information, thanks
2018-3-4
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

That clears up a few things I didn't think about...and I am the one to tell the neighbor to put in the damn Petsafe wireless dog fence!
2018-3-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey, good find. If I ever fly near any dog owners homes. Thanks.

Who'd have thunk it? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, the dog fence is just one of thousands of devices that transmit on the same band as our aircraft. You can also add any Bluetooth device in the vicinity, remote control garage door, wireless front door monitor, baby monitor yada yada. The list is almost endless.
2018-3-4
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Thanks for the info.  I have noticed that Arlo wireless security cameras also cause some interference.
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Kansas Boy Posted at 2018-3-4 17:01
Thanks for the info.  I have noticed that Arlo wireless security cameras also cause some interference.

Yes, the word 'wireless' is the clue. All over the world, the 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz bands (among other) are used for unregulated transmissions, and almost every wireless device fits into these bands. And this is the reason people get so much interference in urban areas.
2018-3-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-4 16:32
Yes, the dog fence is just one of thousands of devices that transmit on the same band as our aircraft. You can also add any Bluetooth device in the vicinity, remote control garage door, wireless front door monitor, baby monitor yada yada. The list is almost endless.

Let's not forget the Bluetooth Bartender!! Haha

The Barman II is your Bluetooth bartender
image.jpeg
Simon Nilsson Larsson barman II, kickstarter
We all like a good drink now and then, and this device helps you get it right every time.

The Barman II is a scale that makes sure your cocktails always turns out great. Put your glass on the platform, choose your drink in the app and follow the instructions. The display tells you what ingredients to use, and how much of it. When you’re supposed to pour, the glass lights up in blue, and then in red when you should stop pouring.
image.png
The app (for IOS and Android) has hundreds of recipes, but you can also add new cocktails. The Barman app can also give you advice on what drinks you can mix based on what type of liquor you have on hand.

The team behind the Bluetooth bartender is EBC Services LLC. They have turned to Kickstarter in hope of getting their device funded. If you want to contribute, you can get a Barman II for $35.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-3-4 17:39
Let's not forget the Bluetooth Bartender!! Haha

The Barman II is your Bluetooth bartender

RHP,

Just so you know, IMHO your posts are always the best posts!

Jeff
2018-3-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-3-5 05:05
RHP,

Just so you know, IMHO your posts are always the best posts!

Hahaha, well, it just takes a little bit of social networking. Chuckles

I get a huge kick out of my posts, myself. Haha

Thanks for the positive comments. Much appreciated.

image.jpeg

It sure beats searching for cave art...

RedHotPoker
2018-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules