Maiden Flight in Arcata, CA
1379 9 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

Maiden flight with this exciting new platform! My initial thought is that the camera shoots way overexposed when you use the proper shutter speed for 30fps, which is 1/60, and when using the stock ND filter. You have to crank the shutter way up to get better exposure, and that's just bad form. My friends at Snake River Prototyping are developing some high quality ND and CP filters for the Inspire, so I'm glad for that. One thing that sucks is that the gimbal does not feather to a stop or start when using the dial, and there is no setting to accomodate that in the firmware. It's so abrupt! It makes active tilt shots unusable. That being said, the image looks great, and the Inspire flies like a dream. This thing wants to go fast! But we don't want that. I found myself flying too fast for the video to look awesome a lot of times. Once I get this baby dialed in it's going to be a production beast!
2015-5-4
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Holy crapola, you got awfully close to those trees! Made me nervous!
2015-5-4
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

That will probably come later.
2015-5-4
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

I'm used to flying like that around trees and power lines. Hey do you guys know how to set it so I get email notifications when someone responds to a post? I'm not getting them.
2015-5-4
Use props
EdgyMedia
lvl.4

Japan

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-5-5 06:24
Holy crapola, you got awfully close to those trees! Made me nervous!

Yeah! scared me too.
Mostly because my mishaps have come from the trees reaching out to "touch" the props.
pretty scary.

I wonder if adjusting the flight curves for the sticks would help with the speed issue...
A little nervous about playing with them too much. Anyone else tried?
2015-5-4
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

EdgyMedia Posted at 2015-5-5 09:48
Yeah! scared me too.
Mostly because my mishaps have come from the trees reaching out to "touch" th ...

I believe the expo curve defaults to .40. I'm going to try .30 so it starts out a little slower. Better for video.
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

There are already stronger NDs on the market, developed by one of the forum members:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... lang=en&lang=en

And here are some of the real world results:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-5-5
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-6 14:40
There are already stronger NDs on the market, developed by one of the forum members:

http://forum.d ...

Yes I've seen the results. They are as cheaply made as the DJI filter is.
2015-5-6
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

chadfish@sbcglo Posted at 2015-5-7 08:39
Yes I've seen the results. They are as cheaply made as the DJI filter is.

Heh, I'm not sure the DJI camera is worthy of much more...   I have filters for my Red EPIC and Nikon that cost $400 each and though the Inspire's image is fantastic for the size and price, an expensive filter isn't going to save it.   
2015-5-7
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-7 20:54
Heh, I'm not sure the DJI camera is worthy of much more...   I have filters for my Red EPIC and Ni ...

My thinking on filters on cheap cameras is that at least a better filter won't molest the image more. Take a GoPro and put a Polar Pro filter on it, and the image gets way worse. Use an SRP filter and you only get the benefit of the filter's function. The DJI filter is coated glass, where a real ND has 2 pieces of glass with the ND film sandwiched between. It makes a difference. The Inspire camera is the same sensor as the Hero4 black, so though it's no GH4, or RED, it's not bad for what it is, and I'm gong to give it every advantage. The Inspire is my backup bird. I fly a GH4 on an XProHeli XPX, but man I'm liking the steadiness of the Inspire a lot. It's perfect for certain clients. And it travels well in the overhead compartment!
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules