Under the Bridge. The OH NO Moment
720 17 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

This is what didnt make it in to my Frnech River video. We all know we have to do some editing, cut out the unneeded parts. Being the Video was about fishing on the shore, the screwing around (unneeded footage) wasnt called for. So here ya go. Under the bridge and OH NO!

2018-3-4
Use props
Leftyguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

Another nice video and great flying. Like the music also.
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flying under bridges is a very risky move. The aircraft can lose signal part way, and it will then go into RTH mode. The first part of which is to rise up to RTH altitude, hitting the underside of the bridge and then dropping back into the water.
2018-3-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-4 16:22
Flying under bridges is a very risky move. The aircraft can lose signal part way, and it will then go into RTH mode. The first part of which is to rise up to RTH altitude, hitting the underside of the bridge and then dropping back into the water.

The bridge depicted in the above video appears to be mostly concrete. So yes there would be plenty of reinforcing steel within.

What if we set the RTH height, lower than the flight path?

Or to just Hover if connection is lost?

RedHotPoker
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-3-4 18:19
The bridge depicted in the above video appears to be mostly concrete. So yes there would be plenty of reinforcing steel within.

What if we set the RTH height, lower than the flight path?

Most people who would know to take those precautions do, the problem is those that do not give it a thought.
2018-3-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-4 18:58
Most people who would know to take those precautions do, the problem is those that do not give it a thought.

Yes, likely the same folks who would never take the time to RTFM.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-4
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Well, the OP did a great job of staying out of sight throughout the video - which might explain why he wasn't close enough to the bridge to see that cable.  Pretty lucky.  ;)
2018-3-4
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I agree with most it was a neet vid
However, I fully agree with Geebax, you were taking some risks there whether you realize it or not.  I'm glad it worked out for you but I'd think twice about doing it again, either that or ensure you have your RTH settings set accordingly and ensure you are in a position to take over in ATTI mode i.e. VLOS or you will have a good chance of going for a swim.
Fly Safe
2018-3-4
Use props
LanceFlair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9577 ft
Germany

Great location. You should pick more shots there.
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nice video, but not a good example for pilots. Take care!
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I know its not Phantom .... but about cables across rivers !

Pal and I were having a nice sail on the river with my larger yacht ... having a great day and sun shining, we decided to go further upriver than usual.

Suddenly boat stops ... rears up ... W>>>>T>>>>>F !!

Then we look up ... power cable across the river has hit forestay just below top ...

Later found the furling headsail gear had a severe bend in the upper section and had to be cut.

Pesky cables !!

Back to video above ... nice one !!

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice piece of flying.  Risky, but nice.
2018-3-5
Use props
Nebicaneser
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Excellent Video !!
2018-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oooops.
Now that was luck.
2018-3-5
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

To all concerned. My first pass up the side of the bridge. I was walking right behind it. The trail that led up from that point I was there. I could see the drone. Just didn't see that cable. I glanced it on the screen. Camouflaged. I wasn't more than 30' away from the drone at any point. That video is sped up in points and cut up to remove the time that I spent walking around. Its a perfectly safe flight. No one is allowed to fish in that river.
2018-3-5
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

IamWedge Posted at 2018-3-5 13:39
To all concerned. My first pass up the side of the bridge. I was walking right behind it. The trail that led up from that point I was there. I could see the drone. Just didn't see that cable. I glanced it on the screen. Camouflaged. I wasn't more than 30' away from the drone at any point. That video is sped up in points and cut up to remove the time that I spent walking around. Its a perfectly safe flight. No one is allowed to fish in that river.

I just want to know when you noticed the wire.... because at first it didn't seem like you noticed it on your first pass....
2018-3-5
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
United States

James R Posted at 2018-3-5 23:16
I just want to know when you noticed the wire.... because at first it didn't seem like you noticed it on your first pass....

I saw my screen on the iPad doing the green flicker. I looked down and that was the black line I saw. Just took me a second to process what i thought I saw.
2018-3-6
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

That's what i like to see, people taking some risks. Nice work
2018-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules