Bloopers
824 30 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Just a thought and might be good for a laugh and some heart stopping moments.
But could we have a bloopers contest for all those whoops moments we love to keep but to scared to share.
2018-3-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll start, hope that just the story and not a supporting video is OK.
A couple months ago, I was flying with my grandson. I had one of those Phantom Rain wet suits on it which made the battery a wee bit hard to get clicked in. I flew the first battery, landed for a battery swap and the grandson changed the battery for me. I took off and according to the logs, 5 seconds and 62 feet later, the battery popped out and it hit the ground. It was a total loss, thank goodness for State Farm, a week later I had a new drone.
2018-3-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Drove many kilometres to record some awesome nature.

Only to discover when I tapped the Record video tab. No micro sd card in the drone. ;-)

Yup, forgot it in the hp desktop.  Flew anyway, but no video to prove it... Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-3-4
Use props
IamWedge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321398 ft
United States

The other day I was getting ready to take off. Started the DJI Go app, the drone, then the controller. Spent the next 10 minutes rebooting everything over and over trying to figure out why the P4P wasn't connecting to the app. Then I had my ah ha moment and realized I didn't have the lightning cable plugged in to my ipad.
2018-3-4
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

WOOOOO  way to give me a jolt!
I just knew I was going to watch the AC or both spiral in or hit a building. What a lucky save.

Never get tired of watching your videos...even this one.
2018-3-4
Use props
djiuser_4qIuARKZZ7ab
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30046 ft
United States

To close lol
2018-3-4
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I was gonna try to come up with something, but then I watched the "joint flight" video above.  I can't beat that.  
2018-3-4
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-4 19:34
On joint flights keep yaws consistent among the birds & ALWAYS DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR WAYPOINTS!

https://youtu.be/5obmOxVjAiU

Soooo pilot error or your flight plan was flawed between the two birds?
Can you explain what you mean by keeping the yaw consistent between them, please?

Glad that ended well...
2018-3-4
Use props
Loki007420
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128832 ft
United States

Here is video i took on the first day i had my phantom, i was trying out active track for the firs time.  It took me a min to get it set up and locked on myself, i took a couple steps further and well take a look...  lol
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On my last flight I was lining up my drone for manual landing after flying close range in solid VLOS. Just before landing the low battery RTH kicked in and I had my volume too low to hear the previous count down... It shot up in front of me and I immediately pressed the X to cancel RTH. As I looked up the drone was literally inches from hitting a thick over head branch... Very lucky as two seconds later and it would have crashed - probably on my head!
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I thought the birds are scared and flew away, but they attacked my drone...
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Videos are already posted earlier :

5km flight with a 1km about turn in its early part creating a too far range and then wind increases making RTH a power vs wind battle ... P3S goes in River !!

Testing out for another forum group - P3P without App running ... she hits the 50m boundary and will only fly within that circle ... so I start doing side to side to show this. Of to my right I estimate a tree at about 30m so I think its safe to fly past .... no its not ... tree turns out to be 49m from Home Point with a nice branch sticking out ...
Its impossible to fly out as max limit reached .. so its shut down and pray !! 300 Euro bill for damages [and Wife not speaking to me for days (that's the only good bit !).]

I could of course post up other Rc models crashes and spills .... some bring tears to your eyes ... like this one : (excuse the language) ...

She was rebuilt and she still flies today .... (she's a 40yr old model) ....

and of course this one - have patience - the Twister is worth the watching ...

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-3-4 17:42
Drove many kilometres to record some awesome nature.

Only to discover when I tapped the Record video tab. No micro sd card in the drone. ;-)

Always pays to have an extra in your bag. I have been guilty as well.
2018-3-5
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

I used two batteries planning a Waypoint mission with Go app.  Then flew it with the third battery only to realize at the end that I never hit the record button, DOH...
2018-3-5
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-5 04:36
The first test flight of the Trade Center spiral, plotted on the screen of my Nexus 7.   I didn't realize just how close the actual pass was going to be...whew!  In the comments someone joked about reading emails on the way around.  

Crikey that was close!  
2018-3-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Wow ...is all i can say.
Ive not had anything as dramaric as some of those mine was just plain inexperience.
A few years ago when i flew my first drone i decided to take off from my front yard. Got everything ready did my pre flight check all was good of course back then i didnt have gps etc etc.
I stood on my verandah in the shade so i could see my screen and proceeded to take off figured i would go straight up to about 6 meters and just look around for a bit.
But the one part of my pre flight check i neglected was to look up. I fly straight into the main powerline going into the house.
Luckily only a broken prop and a broken landing leg.
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

ghutch Posted at 2018-3-5 05:49
I used two batteries planning a Waypoint mission with Go app.  Then flew it with the third battery only to realize at the end that I never hit the record button, DOH...

Think we've all made that mistake ... and the forget to put SD card in !!

I've lost count of number of times I've forgotten TX (controller to you guys) after driving for hours to new site !

I always blame the Wife ! She has habit of talking to me while packing my gear ....

I think in 50 odd years of RC ... I've smashed, bashed, crashed so much - I wonder how I kept going !

But the one that really kills me : New model ... carrying out to car .... BHAM ... hit the door or frame ... What a bummer !!  Next worst ? Dropping a model !!

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

My boss told me about his experience of how not to fly .....
Get drunk on way to many rums show off your flying skills at night to all his drunk mates and crash his p4 into a brick wall at 60 kph
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Building DH 82a Tiger Moth ....

As you know it has 4 wing panels ... 2 left .. 2 right ...

I had to buy a second kit as I built 3 left !!

Plan to build only shows one side ... so I dutifully did just that !!  Even covered them ... then when I went to test first pair ... UGH !!

But she's an absolute peach to fly ........... second kit sits there with a wing panel ready to have rest built !

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Just a few days ago I was just hovering in the living room with a intention to deep cycle the batteries on the second battery was goofing off in a area with lots of obstacles around with in 2 feet on three sides. The Quad started to drift to my left and I was returning the Quad to the center point I was using. I had done this many times before. However this time the Quad had enough speed it’s moment carried it into a antique China Cabinet and both props left big scratch marks in the wood, of course I got a tongue lashing from the Wife, needless to say I have been banned from flying in very tight places in the house. By the way Quad is OK no damage except for my pride in my ability to fly in tight spaces.
2018-3-5
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-3-4 19:54
WOOOOO  way to give me a jolt!
I just knew I was going to watch the AC or both spiral in or hit a building. What a lucky save.

That hurt just watching it
2018-3-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-5 03:56
Both in a way.  First I had the lead bird yawning around like on the normal Baltimore Run while the chase bird was always pointing forward.  Yawning slows the bird down so the chase bird was slowly overtaking.

My big mistake was when adjusting the chase bird's 75 waypoints +10' I missed ONE waypoint....right where they bumped!  This was back before Litchi had the group waypoint edit feature.

Wow, now I get it, at least I better understand your point
Well you are certainly working some precision auto flying, in formation no less LoL
Also it says a whole lot about the GPS accuracy of the drones and the waypoint system, that I find amazing as there are usually some error in the system between two units...either that or it's compensating errors that didn't work in your favor this time.
Nice work
2018-3-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

m1shootr Posted at 2018-3-5 03:17
Always pays to have an extra in your bag. I have been guilty as well.

Yes. When I packed up that day, I went directly to a McBain Camera, and bought my 64gb micro sd card.
I always carry two micro sd cards in my flight kit, now.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

RMJovo Posted at 2018-3-5 08:22
Just a few days ago I was just hovering in the living room with a intention to deep cycle the batteries on the second battery was goofing off in a area with lots of obstacles around with in 2 feet on three sides. The Quad started to drift to my left and I was returning the Quad to the center point I was using. I had done this many times before. However this time the Quad had enough speed it’s moment carried it into a antique China Cabinet and both props left big scratch marks in the wood, of course I got a tongue lashing from the Wife, needless to say I have been banned from flying in very tight places in the house. By the way Quad is OK no damage except for my pride in my ability to fly in tight spaces.

You're lucky you weren't banned from the house.
2018-3-5
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

RMJovo Posted at 2018-3-5 08:22
Just a few days ago I was just hovering in the living room with a intention to deep cycle the batteries on the second battery was goofing off in a area with lots of obstacles around with in 2 feet on three sides. The Quad started to drift to my left and I was returning the Quad to the center point I was using. I had done this many times before. However this time the Quad had enough speed it’s moment carried it into a antique China Cabinet and both props left big scratch marks in the wood, of course I got a tongue lashing from the Wife, needless to say I have been banned from flying in very tight places in the house. By the way Quad is OK no damage except for my pride in my ability to fly in tight spaces.

I think my wife would delegate me to living out in the shed for at least a month if i did that lol
2018-3-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-5 04:36
The first test flight of the Trade Center spiral, plotted on the screen of my Nexus 7.   I didn't realize just how close the actual pass was going to be...whew!  In the comments someone joked about reading emails on the way around.  

Your lucky you used the corners for the turn points, or it might have played out differently...
Interesting shots, I suppose it was a weekend day as I didn't catch anyone looking out going hey what the heck is that...
2018-3-5
Use props
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-5 04:30
This happened during one of my early "Squadron Runs" when I was flying four birds alone.  The P3A was in RTH & I was pulling down on the stick to bleed off altidude but not paying close attention to the screen.  Lady Luck was feeling generous!

https://youtu.be/eympVMJYbZM

How close was that chimney?!  Looked like inches away!!
2018-3-31
Use props
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-31 10:27
Probably 10' but it sure looked closer in the video!

It looked inches away!  Glad your drone missed it man!
2018-3-31
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Well I did find out that you really should take off from a relatively level site.
2018-3-31
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 2018-3-31 22:54
Well I did find out that you really should take off from a relatively level site.
https://vimeo.com/262700736

Wow i hope everything is ok
2018-3-31
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-3-31 23:16
Wow i hope everything is ok

yep all good except for the ego
2018-3-31