Playing with the Mavic Air in some bad weather...
980 4 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was recently playing with the follow me mode on Mavic Air and found a few things out.
Against the wind it couldnt keep up with a car, which is no big deal really as:
1. with the wind it could
2. in sport mode it can but with manual controls
3. I dont drive, so keeping up with my bike is no problem.

so, this is follow me

you can see that with the wind against the Air, it struggles to run the automation and keep up with the car.

however, flipped into sport mode with manual control, it fares much better.

So to me it seems that the Mavic Air is definitely configured more towards stability than speed, which to the casual user... is perfect, if someone wants to be chasing cars with drones, pretty sure an inspire would be their choice.
wanting to see how stable the air is i attempted to get some Slow motion footage vs a Phantom of the actual crafts themselves.
firstly the Phantom 4 pro

nice sunny calm day, solid.. doesnt move
now the mavic air

windy, crappy and freezing day.. jumpy, but remains firmly in place.

Now, in the UK recently, we've had some pretty garbage weather. It's something we should be used to by now, its either 2 weeks in late spring of really hot sunshine, or 1 day of snow in late winter followed by months of clouds and rain just to really cheer us up.

so when we get the random day inbetween of either nice skies or picturesque snowfall, it's really special and out come the drones.
I had an opportunity to film snowy weather two years ago with the Phantom 3, not gonna lie, it was awful footage. noisy blocky dull mess.
But i really, really wanted to get some nice snow footage, so.. I attempted it with the Mavic.
With wind gusts at 15-20mph and temperatures of -2 with wind chill of -7 to -10 i was pretty worried that i'd have to race home and charge the P4P batteries and hope the light held.
Well, as it turned out, I got some pretty decent footage off the Air and i'm pretty happy with the results, even with the fog coming really low.

Mav12-01.jpg
Mav13-01.jpg
2018-3-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2018-3-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is a lot of footage you made
Thanks for that!
2018-3-4
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Nice! Thanks for sharing
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great shots and vid - thanks for sharing!
2018-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules