Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video Shimmering
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barry R
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2077 ft

Australia

Hi All. I recently changed using my iPhone 6 for an iPad mini 2 for flying my PH3P
Since the changeover, I am finding that play back from the mini sim card (in the drone) on to my computer gives a minor shimmering effect across about on sixth of the screen. I looks like part of the transmission is slightly behind the rest. I thought the cause may have been due to the changeover, but dismissed this possibility as the camera feed is (I think) direct to the the mini sim card from the camera - rather than from the camera to sim card via the iPad. I have tried to isolate the reason by videoing from 4K back yo 1080 definition  - but no change.

I would appreciate any comments / explanations you may care to offer.

Thanks

Barry
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The first thing is to say, yes, the video recorded to the SD card in the aircraft is direct, it does not go back to the controller first. When playing back from the SD card (not SIM card), always copy from the SD card to the main drive of your computer and then play it back, do not play back directly from the card.

If it still looks bad, try uploading a copy of the clip to Dropbox, then come back here and post a link to the file, then we can look at it and give you an opinion.
2018-3-4
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-4 19:33
The first thing is to say, yes, the video recorded to the SD card in the aircraft is direct, it does not go back to the controller first. When playing back from the SD card (not SIM card), always copy from the SD card to the main drive of your computer and then play it back, do not play back directly from the card.

If it still looks bad, try uploading a copy of the clip to Dropbox, then come back here and post a link to the file, then we can look at it and give you an opinion.

Thank you Geebax
I have uploaded an example/ .Fr/Users/barryrobbins/Dropbox/DJI_0012.MOVom dropbox I hope it is not too large.

Barry
2018-3-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-4 20:52
Thank you Geebax
I have uploaded an example/ .Fr/Users/barryrobbins/Dropbox/DJI_0012.MOVom dropbox I hope it is not too large.

Sorry Barry, but that link does not work.
2018-3-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Barry, the link was directed to the homepage of the Forum. Could you check and resend?
2018-3-5
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-5 00:27
Hello Barry, the link was directed to the homepage of the Forum. Could you check and resend?

Thanks for your advice Susan.
I simply sent it as a reply to Geebox. I have no idea how else to reply to him/her, but will try to understand why such a reply would got to headquarters.

Regards

Barry
2018-3-5
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-4 19:33

Video shimmering
2018-3-5
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Geebax
Try this one via Dropbox
Regards

Barryvideo shimmering
2018-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-5 00:58
Hi Geebax
Try this one via Dropbox
Regards

Barry, you need to go to the Dropbox page where you have your video and copy the link from there. That link does not work.
2018-3-5
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-5 13:15
Barry, you need to go to the Dropbox page where you have your video and copy the link from there. That link does not work.

Thanks Geebax
The video is so large it will take too long to download (if at all). Too hot to fly at present. I will try late today or tomorrow and take a very short clip and hopefully dropbox it to you via email.
Thank you for your patience.
Regards

Barry
2018-3-5
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Geebax.
I hope this works. A very short clip from this morning's flight. The link will not copy and paste from the Mac clipboard. The instruction is to drag and drop the dropbox fine. I hope this works.

Barry/Users/barryrobbins/Dropbox/robbins_share/DJI_0014.MOV
2018-3-6
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Geebax
Try the attached link copied from my Mac clipboard.
Regards
Barry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sknsp8v98b3ziw/DJI_0014.MOV?dl=0
2018-3-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-6 22:34
Hi Geebax
Try the attached link copied from my Mac clipboard.
Regards

Sorry Barry, but neither of those links work. Try them yourself.
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Barry, I got the same results as Geebax. I'll PM you a short video of how to upload the video to dropbox and share the link, please check and try later.
2018-3-7
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-7 01:31
Barry, I got the same results as Geebax. I'll PM you a short video of how to upload the video to dropbox and share the link, please check and try later.

Thanks Susan
What a pain eh?

Barry
2018-3-7
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-7 01:31

Thanks Susan
I received your link re the upload demo. However, it would not open.
I think I'll try emptying the cache, re-installing the copter firmware and re-formatting the SD card and see what happens. I'll also skate through the dropbox instructions to see if I missed something earlier.  Any comments

Regards

Barry
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-7 18:36
Thanks Susan
I received your link re the upload demo. However, it would not open.
I think I'll try emptying the cache, re-installing the copter firmware and re-formatting the SD card and see what happens. I'll also skate through the dropbox instructions to see if I missed something earlier.  Any comments

That sounds strange. I've checked at my end, it plays well. Please check whether your family or friends who know better about PC can help. If no luck, you can send it in, the local team will help you check: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-9
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-7 00:10
Sorry Barry, but neither of those links work. Try them yourself.

Hi Geebax
This is a very short video showing the shimmer. It seems to occur only when the camera is horizontal. When vertical there seems no problem. I hope this damn thing transmits
Best wishes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sknsp8v98b3z1w/DJI_0014.MOV?dl=0Barry
2018-3-9
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-9 02:21
That sounds strange. I've checked at my end, it plays well. Please check whether your family or friends who know better about PC can help. If no luck, you can send it in, the local team will help you check: https://www.dji.com/support

Thanks Susan
I finally managed to open it by copying the link then pasting it into a blank word document after which it opened and played. I adopted a similar approach by copying a link rom a flight video yesterday and pasting it to Geebax . I think it would have opened because I was able to open it myself.
I hope Geebax will be able to throw some light onto my video shimmering problem.

Have a good weekend

Regards

Barry
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-9 02:22
Hi Geebax
This is a very short video showing the shimmer. It seems to occur only when the camera is horizontal. When vertical there seems no problem. I hope this damn thing transmits
Best wishes

Ah, that works fine. And yes, I can certainly see the poblem. That sort of thing is usually caused by vibration of the camera. Try shooting something outside without taking to the air, by putting it on a table. You should shoot some without the motors running and some with. Also check if the camera is vibrating by gently touching it with your finger.
2018-3-9
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 14:16
Ah, that works fine. And yes, I can certainly see the poblem. That sort of thing is usually caused by vibration of the camera. Try shooting something outside without taking to the air, by putting it on a table. You should shoot some without the motors running and some with.

Thanks Geebax
I will try your suggestion and get back to you in an hour or so. I guess the camera vibration could be wind induced or the camera vibrating at a natural harmonic with prop speed. The camera is supported only on the four small rubber blocks at each corner. Should two diagonal opposites be pinned as in packaging? If so are pins available somehow?
Barry
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-9 14:47
Thanks Geebax
I will try your suggestion and get back to you in an hour or so. I guess the camera vibration could be wind induced or the camera vibrating at a natural harmonic with prop speed. The camera is supported only on the four small rubber blocks at each corner. Should two diagonal opposites be pinned as in packaging? If so are pins available somehow?
Barry

If the camera is vibrating, usually it is the gimbal motors causing it, the effect on your camera is actually quite severe. The gimbal motors can 'hunt' due to being out of adjustment. It is worth checking that the rubber dampeners are fitted properly, and you have two anti-drop pins installed on diagonally opposite corners. You should have received four pins in the box, but only fitted two. If you do not have any pins, then two very small cable ties will do the same job, fitted quite loosely. Their only purpose is to stop the camera assembly from falling off the aircraft if the dampeners fail.
2018-3-9
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 14:53
If the camera is vibrating, usually it is the gimbal motors causing it, the effect on your camera is actually quite severe. The gimbal motors can 'hunt' due to being out of adjustment. It is worth checking that the rubber dampeners are fitted properly, and you have two anti-drop pins installed on diagonally opposite corners. You should have received four pins in the box, but only fitted two. If you do not have any pins, then two very small cable ties will do the same job, fitted quite loosely. Their only purpose is to stop the camera assembly from falling off the aircraft if the dampeners fail.

Hi Geebax
I operated the camera on a table and took a video with the motors stopped and then running on idle with the propellors fitted. With the motors stopped there was no shimmer. However with the props running at idle one shimmer occurred for about a second in the clip of 32 seconds duration.
I held my finger lightly against the camera with the props at idle and could barely discern an occasional very slight high frequency very low amplitude vibration . Prior to the test I recalibrated the gimbal.
The aircraft was manufacture in December 2017.  I purchased it second hand in December 2017 - without camera support pins. I didn't notice the shimmering during the first three or four flight videos.
I presume the solution is to have the camera/ gimbal set up checked - or accept the odd blemishes and edit them out.

Regards

Barry
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-9 18:25
Hi Geebax
I operated the camera on a table and took a video with the motors stopped and then running on idle with the propellors fitted. With the motors stopped there was no shimmer. However with the props running at idle one shimmer occurred for about a second in the clip of 32 seconds duration.
I held my finger lightly against the camera with the props at idle and could barely discern an occasional very slight high frequency very low amplitude vibration . Prior to the test I recalibrated the gimbal.

OK. The problem you are seeing has a rather poor name, it is called jello effect, and is caused by the camera being vibrated. You might try another set of props if you have a spare set, or at the very least, check out the ones that are fitted for nicks or lumps missing. If you find a damaged prop, throw it away.

If that does not cure the problem, then the problem is going to be a bit harder to solve.
2018-3-9
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 18:31
OK. The problem you are seeing has a rather poor name, it is called jello effect, and is caused by the camera being vibrated. You might try another set of props if you have a spare set, or at the very least, check out the ones that are fitted for nicks or lumps missing. If you find a damaged prop, throw it away.

If that does not cure the problem, then the problem is going to be a bit harder to solve.

Two of the props each have one or two minuscule nicks at the ends. I have replaced all with my spare set. If that eliminates or reduces the problem I will discard the old ones. If not I will keep them as spares.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Barry
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-9 19:01
Two of the props each have one or two minuscule nicks at the ends. I have replaced all with my spare set. If that eliminates or reduces the problem I will discard the old ones. If not I will keep them as spares.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Barry

I'm sorry for the late reply. Geebax is spot on. Two diagonal pins are enough. Check whether there is any obvious damage on the damper or change to another pair of propellers to see whether they cause the issue.
2018-3-11
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-11 02:28
I'm sorry for the late reply. Geebax is spot on. Two diagonal pins are enough. Check whether there is any obvious damage on the damper or change to another pair of propellers to see whether they cause the issue.

Thanks Susan
I have replaced all propellors and will see how it all goes. I purchased the copter just 12months old in December 2017 and did not notice any shimmer for the first three or four flights. I always land it slowly and gently on grass, so am a bit surprised at the problem caused by apparent damage to the gimbal. Problems have all occurred in relatively high wins (35 K/hour or thereabouts) - so may have contributed to some extent. Where I live in Perth, Western Australia - on the Indian Ocean, this wind speed is quite common.
Regards
Barry
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-11 03:59
Thanks Susan
I have replaced all propellors and will see how it all goes. I purchased the copter just 12months old in December 2017 and did not notice any shimmer for the first three or four flights. I always land it slowly and gently on grass, so am a bit surprised at the problem caused by apparent damage to the gimbal. Problems have all occurred in relatively high wins (35 K/hour or thereabouts) - so may have contributed to some extent. Where I live in Perth, Western Australia - on the Indian Ocean, this wind speed is quite common.
Regards

Thanks for the clarification. If no luck, I'm afraid that you might consider to send it in. The warranty of P3P is 12 months, and we have a local service center in AU as well. Feel free to contact our support if you need further assistance: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-12
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 18:31
OK. The problem you are seeing has a rather poor name, it is called jello effect, and is caused by the camera being vibrated. You might try another set of props if you have a spare set, or at the very least, check out the ones that are fitted for nicks or lumps missing. If you find a damaged prop, throw it away.

Hi Geebax
I have read and "u Tubed" everything I could find on the jelloing problem. As a consequence, before setting the repair experts onto the gimbal and camera, I am going to balance the props, video at lower ISO and shutter speeds and avoid strong winds where possible. Several Tube sessions suggested flying in "A' rather than "P" mode when videoing in order to remove the GIS and hence reduce the myriad inputs to the copter system. As a novice I like the "P" mode safety factors for hovering and RTH.
I envisage taking off in "P"mode and alternating between "P" and "A"during flight then checking the clips to ascertain if there is improvement or otherwise in the two resulting video qualities
After the above diatribe, my question is, can I simply change between "P" and "A" modes during flight?
My apologies for using up your time.

Regards
Barry
2018-3-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Barry R Posted at 2018-3-18 00:09
Hi Geebax
I have read and "u Tubed" everything I could find on the jelloing problem. As a consequence, before setting the repair experts onto the gimbal and camera, I am going to balance the props, video at lower ISO and shutter speeds and avoid strong winds where possible. Several Tube sessions suggested flying in "A' rather than "P" mode when videoing in order to remove the GIS and hence reduce the myriad inputs to the copter system. As a novice I like the "P" mode safety factors for hovering and RTH.
I envisage taking off in "P"mode and alternating between "P" and "A"during flight then checking the clips to ascertain if there is improvement or otherwise in the two resulting video qualities

Changing video settings will not, unfortunately, reduce the jello. Nor will changing modes to A from P, but you can certainly change modes during flight.
The cause of jello is quite simple, it is vibration of the camera, nothing more. To remove jello, you must remove the vibration.
2018-3-18
Use props
Barry R
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-18 00:34
Changing video settings will not, unfortunately, reduce the jello. Nor will changing modes to A from P, but you can certainly change modes during flight.
The cause of jello is quite simple, it is vibration of the camera, nothing more. To remove jello, you must remove the vibration.

Thanks Geebax
I will persevere to establish whether or not the partial solutions suggested by  the "U TUBE" brigade reduce camera vibration as they claim. One case made my jello effect look negligible.
Your comments through this saga have been much appreciated. If in the end, I must refurbish or replace the gimbal or camera, so be it.

Barry
2018-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules