Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Garage - Workshop update
1327 38 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Weather has been against building works ... but back at it again :

Nigel

2018-3-5
Use props
Dale 68
Captain
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now that's what I call a garage.
2018-3-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Every man's dream.  Should be nice.  What is going to be on the top floor?  Be sure to post some pictures/videos of the progress and when it is finished.
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

The concept was based on a 12m x 7m box ... with 2.5 floors.

Bottom is 2 cars and third area is for storage of firewood etc. We have wood burner heating and open fires in the house.

Second floor is basically the area above the two car section will be open plan workshop for building / servicing my models. I have Laser cutter ... 3D printer ... Bench saws / drills etc and auto foam cutter table. The end section over the storage will have Bar, Toilet and seating area to entertain my fellow model pals !!

The half height third floor will be model storage to keep workshop clear of completed models.

When we put in the floor beams for second level - because the stock wood from timber people was over-length - we decided to use the extra length to give us a narrow balcony as you see.

Wife reckons I will end up living there !!

The list of items to install (you know the model side ,,, )

Movie Projector and screen to show all those model movies !
Small bar and counter
Small derrick to lift gear up to second level instead of carrying up / down stairs.
Large L divan that pulls out to sleep if needed
Wood burner cast iron stove with 'hot flue' along rear wall to heat area.

A REAL Man-Cave !!

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-5 08:47
The concept was based on a 12m x 7m box ... with 2.5 floors.

Bottom is 2 cars and third area is for storage of firewood etc. We have wood burner heating and open fires in the house.

That is awesome! My man cave consists of a set of shelves in the guest room that I pile my camera and drone stuff on. Plus I have a commercial popcorn machine in a corner of the dining room - a necessity for some of the forum threads.
2018-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice to see your progress!
2018-3-5
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Fantastic !! Thanks for sharing
2018-3-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-5 08:47
The concept was based on a 12m x 7m box ... with 2.5 floors.

Sounds like it will be really nice when completed and a great place to enjoy your hobbies.
2018-3-5
Use props
Leftyguy
Captain
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

Will be looking forward to the finished product!
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You built the garage by yourself? Looks nice, looking forward to the finished product.
2018-3-10
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Hi Mindy, project is to my design but professional builders doing the work. I wanted to make sure each car section of the garage allowed car doors to OPEN !! So many garages are built for small cars. I used my Renault Master Cargo-van as 'template' ...
We had a bit of trouble about the pillar dividing the two cars ... its small in circumference - which meant using extra strong beams. Along with the width / length is greater than standard building standards.

Second floor walls done ... wait wood for second floor level and then start on the 1/2 height 3rd floor storage ...

Nigel
2018-3-10
Use props
Spacetrakker
Captain
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

Looks like a great project ! Every man should have one of these...
Cheers  
2018-3-10
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Its not cheap - typical of most things today - costs are escalating !!

But the value of what I can do on the second floor ... and of course added to the overall property far outweighs cost.

Nigel
2018-3-11
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

2018-4-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Finally got started again ... putting the roof on ...

Decided to leave top floor open so air can circulate when models stored there ...

Nigel
2018-9-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

gREAT WORK !!!
2018-9-4
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Trucking on ....

Nigel
2018-9-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

moving on …

Nigel
2018-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, nice to see!
2018-9-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like you’re gonna have a nice set up there.  Kudos.
2018-9-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking good, is the workshop for your budgies?
2018-9-8
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-8 19:57
Looking good, is the workshop for your budgies?

Budgies ?

Nigel
2018-9-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Budgies, Birds, Aircraft......
2018-9-9
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Just to answer as tbh ... the Budgies bit has me ???

Design base was to have a 3 car garage with extra wide doors / bays so all doors could open as well as being able to get my Renault Master Van in ... the Van is my RC Model carrier to flight line etc. It was then decided that bay 3 would be closed into a store and have internal stairs to the second floor. Originally it was going to be external stairs.

The second floor is divided into two areas with easy access between them. Top of stairs is the Bar / Lounge / Club area and access to the balcony at approx 7m x 4m. Second area which is approx. 8.5m x 7m is to be my Model Workshop with Laser Machine, 3D printer, auto foam cutter bed, worktops and jig facilities. There will also be model rail and slot car track beds that hoist to the ceiling when not in use.

The third floor is a half height area, approx 12.5m x 7m with partial floor to allow storage of my models and gear.

Initially my 40W Laser machine and 3D printer will make up main part in the workshop, but I intend to upgrade the laser to a full work area bed to allow cutting large models over 1.5m.

Yep - its ambitious - but you only live once !!

Nigel
2018-9-10
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Roof going on ....

Nigel
2018-9-11
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

wow !!  
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Concrete floors and ramps ...

Nigel
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

The big day ... cars in !!

Makes me feel a real event has occurred ...

Nigel
2018-9-14
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Getting there ...

Nigel
2018-9-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

Very Nice !!! it ll be a beautiful place
2018-9-21
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Nigel
2018-9-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow, looks great, is this to house ya models etc?
2018-9-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Cars and store at the ground ... model workshop and bar on the second ... storage for models etc. on third.

My house at present has the second floor filled with models and my gear .. Laser ... 3D printer .... drill presses ..... auto foam cutter .... etc. It will all move out to the new place and house will then be a living area instead of Model workshop !!

Nigel
2018-9-30
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr. Life,

You have made a BIG mistake in your planning............................The BAR is on the 2nd FLOOR.....no no no no!  That first step can get ya!!

Randy

ps:  Looks GREAT!   Seems like a fun project....
2018-9-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-30 01:23
Cars and store at the ground ... model workshop and bar on the second ... storage for models etc. on third.

My house at present has the second floor filled with models and my gear .. Laser ... 3D printer .... drill presses ..... auto foam cutter .... etc. It will all move out to the new place and house will then be a living area instead of Model workshop !!

Damn, my bad, didnt notice it was 3 floors
2018-9-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

Originally the bar area was going to be 'clean room' for computer controlled 3D and Laser machine ... and office. But then flying buddies all joked about having a bar and lounge to tell all those tall model stories !! So I thought - why not !!

The 3rd level is less than half height because building regs said I could not go higher than the house. In fact I am glad it was reduced as its a big building as is. The ceiling of second floor and of course the 3rd level floor will not be filled in as I want open plan to allow air to circulate AND allow me easier access to store / retrieve models. I will have a 'roving hooked' ladder. It also allows me to have tables that can be hoisted up out of the way into the beams ... slot car racing ... 00 railways etc. and of course special build tables ...

I do eventually want to expand my model building capability to produce kit parts for club friends etc. which means a larger laser machine. I have thousands of plans and can easily adapt to produce.

The first model that I plan to roll out of there is to complete my 93" span Avro Lancaster in the colours of my Mothers Squadron, WW2. (Its waiting my auto foam cutting system to be re=assembled).

Nigel
2018-10-1
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

Oh and don't forget it will have a full length balcony !!

Nigel
2018-10-1
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Spain

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-28 06:57
https://youtu.be/tsE-xDzX8kM

Nigel

wow it is getting form !! Just BEAUTY  
2018-10-1
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Azerbaijan

Having kitted out a workshop when I lived in UK .. albeit a 10 x 6 shed ... I used basic kitchen flat pack furniture and a good worktop. Provided all the drawers and cupboards I needed. This is what will kit out this place. Even the car spaces have plenty room to have bench etc.

The workshop will have not only worktop running around the room - but also T sections where bench comes out into room to allow 270 degree access to models. I haven't decided if they will be hinged and folding or fixed. Second will be tables that hoist into the overhead beams to carry my Model Railway and slot car track ... yes I'm into all sorts of stuff !!

With the top floor not being closed up bu second level ceiling / 3rd level floor ... it will ony have partial floor to accommodate boxes and models. This allows me to have a hook ladder to move as needed to grab anything I need to bring down. It also allows air to circulate reducing likelihood of warping model wings / damage to stored items.

Heating will have automatic frost protect electrics so my Laser machines etc are safe. Main heat will be by cast iron wood burner stove that will then have its metal flue running along back wall giving heat to area before exiting through wall.

I am really looking forward to getting in there and setting up ............. Wife will be happy that house has finally got rid of all those models and gear !!

Nigel
2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules