Update on my P3S control issues
892 5 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

I was having a problem with erratic movement, constant warnings (magnetic, Wi-Fi, loss of signal).

Here are my findings: Pilot error is number one! I had the AC take off in a runaway/flyaway, partially due to trying to take off from my concrete driveway (which also had my buried main power line just feet from takeoff point)!

I thought I had things solved and flew in the yard in ATTI Mode, to improve my skills before I panic again, and flew just over the fence line into my neighbor’s property and lost signal.  I climbed up higher (somehow it did climb) to avoid hitting anything on his property. I figured this issue out by reading a thread on here, and I confirmed it later (by walking into his yard with the Controller instead of flying over there), that it was his Pet fence (buried Wi-Fi unit) that made me lose my signal. Worst part of it…. A year ago I was the one that told him to install one to keep his Black Lab in the yard!

Another issue I managed to solve, from reading on here was somehow I had Bluetooth enabled on my iPad, signal loss again.

I got the Litchi app (great app if you know how to use it), thought I read everything, checked and rechecked everything for days, still nervous, I try to fly a waypoint with 5 waypoints (all in my 2 acre yard) all of a sudden it goes RTH, only it is climbing ( I already had it at 98 ft…the high limit I wanted to go) cancelled RTH three different times and held the throttle down to stop climbing…..I’m in PANIC MODE. Again only because of luck I managed to land with any damage! In checking this out (days later after I recovered from my panic attack), I discovered that I had my 98 ft set on the DJI GO app, thought I transferred it to the Litchi app, but I found the Litchi app was still in METERS it had climbed to about 321 ft!

After all these issues I was ready to check out anther waypoint mission (in my yard), and I lost signal again. Now I bought a used P3S, and not know much about this whole quad experience, I just thought every issue was my fault. Well I took the controller apart, and was looking at the 2.4 antenna wires, and the 5.8 antenna wire for any cracks or issues. Well one 2.4 was cracked, and the 5.8 wire was only holding on by a thread (it broke completely when I pulled it out).. I feel so lucky that I never crashed or lost the AC!!

I just installed the replacement antennas (Blueproton ARGtek kit) I received two square 2.4 ghz w/ one square 5.8 ghz , and two flat tall 2.4 ghz w/ one flat tall 5.8 ghz.

I flew my five waypoint mission without a problem, still hesitant to go long distance…probably spend a month checking and rechecking things, and of course I will still be a bundle of nerves!

2018-3-5
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

I thought I would adapt but I still get nervous when the thing gets more than a few hundred feet away. I stopped flying in my back yard for fear of hitting something. But then last week I wanted to see if my neighbors pool had water in it, so we sent the drone over to take a look. What fun!
2018-3-5
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

The Blueproton ARGtec kit is good except the flat panels being highly directional will only work well at an extreme distance and if aimed carefully. I put them back in the box after trying them only once. The talls give me almost as good range with less video dropouts.
2018-3-5
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

LarBear360 Posted at 2018-3-5 20:46
I thought I would adapt but I still get nervous when the thing gets more than a few hundred feet away. I stopped flying in my back yard for fear of hitting something. But then last week I wanted to see if my neighbors pool had water in it, so we sent the drone over to take a look. What fun!

Yea my neighbor and I get along well. He was standing next to me when I flew over the fence the first time, then when I mentioned I read about WiFi fences he reminded me of his fence.

I doubt I will ever Not be nervous when it goes out of site.

I just feel lucky that with all of my dumb mistakes (pilot error) I still have a bird unharmed!

I just hope that this will save even one newbie from having a crash or flyaway!
2018-3-6
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Betamace Posted at 2018-3-5 23:13
The Blueproton ARGtec kit is good except the flat panels being highly directional will only work well at an extreme distance and if aimed carefully. I put them back in the box after trying them only once. The talls give me almost as good range with less video dropouts.

Thanks for the info, I read about the directional limits of the flat (square) panels.  I have  a lot of trees around my place, and I plan to use the the taller antennas most of the time.

The last flight seemed very steady and without all of the past issues I had (on both the DJI GO and Litchi Apps).
I also had just updated my iPad mini 4 to IOS 11.2.6 and everything is fine (keeping my fingers crossed)
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Let us learn and keep moving on.
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules