Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2?
64249 224 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
Captain
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

I’m still waiting for better still quality on a Mavic platform.
2018-3-12
Use props
JordanM
First Officer
United States

I will be giving a DJI Mavic Pro II away after it is released. Just subscribe to my channel:
2018-3-12
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.4
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

NerdyGuy Posted at 2018-3-9 14:18
From your toy list on your profile.  I can see you suffer from the same disease I do.  Hows that credit card balance?

hehe!! Yeah guilty
2018-3-12
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.4
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-9 15:00
I have the Air, fly it in a heavy urban area, and I'm very disappointed.  "Enhanced" wifi is a joke.  I'd rather go with Ocusync.

I have heard that a LOT!! While I haven't lost control of my Spark really I have noticed I get more interference with it than I do with my Platinum.
2018-3-12
Use props
lifedownunder
lvl.1
Australia

Honestly, if you want one now, just go get the Air.
Because by the time you wait for the Pro 2 to come out, you'll already be thinking about the Air 2 coming out and if you should wait for that!

But if my guess is correct, it should be out within the next 2 months...
2018-3-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-5 14:16
I agree, with the Platinum you are well equipped for the time being and my guess is that you won't need to wait that much longer for knowing what will come up next, maybe a month or so... The Mavic Air is a truly great device and I do not at all regret the purchase knowing that the new Mavic will be even a greater device but beyond of what I want to spend or would need for the foreseeable future. But who knows when I might get further infected...

That's a good one, you'll probably find yourself wanting the new Mavic Pro 2 the moment it is released :-) I just hope it looks like the current Mavic Pro, because DJI built themselves a winner no doubt.
2018-3-12
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

You've left out some information about what you want that I think would be useful in making a decision. It's probably a good idea to wait and see what comes out.

I went with the Mavic Air. I can tell you all the reasons it was a better choice for me, but it doesn't answer the question of what the better choice is for you. Mostly I like that the Mavic Air is a little more portable than the Mavic Pro. I'm going to be taking it on longer hikes whenever possible and packing it in a bicycle rack bag. If the Mavic Pro 2 lives up to the rumors, I can't see it getting any more portable and it could possibly get less portable. That loss of portability though will come with better battery times and a better camera. Any features (other than portability) that you are drooling over on the Mavic Air are likely to be available on the Mavic Pro 2.
2018-3-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-12 05:48
Easy decision here...

1) Figure out how much money you can afford to spend

Mavic Pro was selling for $769 last week by Amazon.com. The question is what do you want out of your drone, do you want distance, or more features and APAS?
2018-3-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I would wait for Mavic Pro 2 to come out and see what improvements are coming to the new forefront of droning because the Mavic Pro 2 will be the top drone for time to come and that it will set a good barometer for what the market will look like?
2018-3-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansaed0b2ee Posted at 2018-3-11 10:36
The Administrator Susan looks like Jessica Alba.

I thought she is Jessica Alba :-)
2018-3-12
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.4
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-12 20:46
Mavic Pro was selling for $769 last week by Amazon.com. The question is what do you want out of your drone, do you want distance, or more features and APAS?

I guarantee you the MP II will have the distance, features like APAS, and the addition of a rear sensor.  NO way will it have "Enhanced" wifi.  It'll have a similar camera OR better than the Air.

MP II will be Air on steroids but with a bigger footprint in portability.
2018-3-13
Use props
Arank-MA
Second Officer
United States

I was waiting for the MP2 but I felt tempted for the Air and i really like it.

I think the MP2 will be available on June or July and that is a long wait... just buy the Air now and then sell it when the MP2 hit the shelves.

2018-3-13
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-13 07:15
I guarantee you the MP II will have the distance, features like APAS, and the addition of a rear sensor.  NO way will it have "Enhanced" wifi.  It'll have a similar camera OR better than the Air.

MP II will be Air on steroids but with a bigger footprint in portability.

That sounds like what everyone is expecting. I wonder when it will be announced?
2018-3-13
Use props
fans00bd3594
Flight distance : 83386 ft
United States

I was glad to rid myself of the Mavic Pro that I am "thrilled" with the Mavic Air. I had no idea what normal video should look like. I did not know that it was a defective unit and kept it nearly 18 months trying to fiddle with manual settings, D-log, Cinelike, 1080 vs 2700 etc. It had HORRID image quality. For me, the Mavic Air was like going from a 20-year-old Instamatic film camera to a Professional DSLR.

If you already have excellent image quality using the Mavic Pro (no defective unit) and don't need the tiny size of the Air, simply wait. If you have an older P3 and would like to shrink down your payload..get the Mavic Air...no regrets. Why, because the Mavic Pro II/2 is non-existent until DJI announces it. All of the "rumors" are coming from one source and that source is questionable at best. Based on the current lineup, the newer version will most likely be BIGGER and have a larger camera/sensor. So, if size is a consideration, if you are somewhat flying within visual sight, you won't need to wait on the MP2.

If you find out that you must have the next DJI thing, simply sell what you have. The resale is fairly good if you take care of your things and keep the original packaging. Most likely, it will still be under warranty. You may take up to a 30% loss but could apply the proceeds to the new gadget. However, I doubt you will want to toss the Mavic Air so quickly. It travels fantastically. It sets up so fast it will make your head spin. When they finally patch the "compass recalibration" issue, you could go from packed up to airborne in like 2 minutes.
2018-3-13
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.4
United States

fans00bd3594 Posted at 2018-3-13 09:47
I was glad to rid myself of the Mavic Pro that I am "thrilled" with the Mavic Air. I had no idea what normal video should look like. I did not know that it was a defective unit and kept it nearly 18 months trying to fiddle with manual settings, D-log, Cinelike, 1080 vs 2700 etc. It had HORRID image quality. For me, the Mavic Air was like going from a 20-year-old Instamatic film camera to a Professional DSLR.

If you already have excellent image quality using the Mavic Pro (no defective unit) and don't need the tiny size of the Air, simply wait. If you have an older P3 and would like to shrink down your payload..get the Mavic Air...no regrets. Why, because the Mavic Pro II/2 is non-existent until DJI announces it. All of the "rumors" are coming from one source and that source is questionable at best. Based on the current lineup, the newer version will most likely be BIGGER and have a larger camera/sensor. So, if size is a consideration, if you are somewhat flying within visual sight, you won't need to wait on the MP2.

Sure the MP II is a rumor until #DJI announces it but I think the MP II will be announced and released soon.  Why? 2 words; Autel Evo.  #DJI will have to compete with the Autel and it only makes sense they'll announced the MP II.

Rumors have it the MP II is in full production RIGHT NOW in anticipation of its announcement so stock will not run out when finally released.
2018-3-13
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-10 23:29
NerdyGuy, may I know what difficulties do you encounter when contacted our support? Is there anything I can help? I've checked your post and only found the previous flyaway accident, our supervisor had contacted you for negotiation at that time. Could you confirm? I'm sorry if I missed something.

You got it, DJI has done NOTHING to accommodate my loss, which is why I will NEVER buy DJI "CARE" again.   BY FAR the worse "Support" EVER HANDS DOWN!!!    I will NEVER purchase ANY support program through your company EVER again.    ONLY 3rd party support for me from now on.     I would have purchased a Mavic Air by now if it weren't for your crappy support.  The last DJI item I purchased was the Osmo 2.   Likely my last.
2018-3-13
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:17
If I were you I'd wait for the MP Pro II, or sell the MPP now it still has value, get an Mavic Air and sell it again when the MP Pro II comes out with even better features.

Just sold my MPP now im ready for the M2.  Sold my MP to buy the MPP and bought a Spark while waiting for the MPP
2018-3-13
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

MP2 all the way. I have had a fantastic year and couple months with the MP. No (abnormal) issues. Incredible machine. 45 hours flight time, and even a couple crashes, and still going like new. The only thing I would like is more camera. A slightly bigger footprint than MA or MP will work for most that are coming off of the Phantom line, which (i think) is the demographic DJI is looking for with the MP2. There could be several flavors of the MP2, Standard, Advanced, Gold, Frankincence, Myrrh. I think the MP2 will be the start of the downfall of the Phantom line, especially if it has more camera, and the Inspire will become the Pro drone of choice. It pretty much already is...

So in the end, the new lineup will be the Tello?, Spark, MA, MP2, Inspire, Industrial. Respectively in order from good to best... Sorry Phantom fans, but i think the big, fixed arm drones, except for some very expensive pro models, will go the way of the Dino's very soon... IMO...
2018-3-14
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-10 23:29
NerdyGuy, may I know what difficulties do you encounter when contacted our support? Is there anything I can help? I've checked your post and only found the previous flyaway accident, our supervisor had contacted you for negotiation at that time. Could you confirm? I'm sorry if I missed something.

Frankly your "2 replacements" with DJI "Care"  is a complete and utter lie.  It's only because your business is based in China that you get away with these crimes.   My Spark HAD A FAILURE and your company didn't do CRAP.   Offering a 15% discount is a COMPLETELY insulting.  I have  NOT flown with ANY confidence since and will NEVER fly my units more than a few feet away.  Because I do NOT trust DJI hardware, I DO NOT trust DJI as a company.   I have had literally only ONE DAY of flight since the spark loss.   As I cannot confide in your company in ANY WAY.    I do NOT recommend ANY of your drones to ANYONE anymore. The BEST thing you EVER did was sell the Osmo 2 via Apple, where your company is COMPLETELY at fault is in sales...(CONSTANT LIES!!!)   And "Support" isn't even there... AT ALL.  
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

NerdyGuy Posted at 2018-3-13 18:08
You got it, DJI has done NOTHING to accommodate my loss, which is why I will NEVER buy DJI "CARE" again.   BY FAR the worse "Support" EVER HANDS DOWN!!!    I will NEVER purchase ANY support program through your company EVER again.    ONLY 3rd party support for me from now on.     I would have purchased a Mavic Air by now if it weren't for your crappy support.  The last DJI item I purchased was the Osmo 2.   Likely my last.

I'm sincerely sorry about the unpleasant experience. Anyway, we'll keep learning and improve our service as well. Wish you all the best.
2018-3-15
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-15 03:21
I'm sincerely sorry about the unpleasant experience. Anyway, we'll keep learning and improve our service as well. Wish you all the best.

While the rest of us PAY for YOUR education.   One hell of a way to learn, one hell of a way to treat your customers.
2018-3-15
Use props
JockerD
lvl.1

Nigeria

I will wait for MP2 to see what it will bring and how much really is the difference.
2018-3-15
Use props
Jimmy007
First Officer

United States

I would wait the "Pro 2". I'm sure it will have a better camera compared to the AIR/Pro 1. Better gimbal protection.  Better range.
2018-3-18
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JOAQUINTAS Posted at 2018-3-9 08:40
MAVIC AIR DOES NOT WORK-

Very Bold Statement Sir. Your comment certainly seems correct for a certain percentage of pilots or people who just don't have a clue what they are doing. Must admit, I was a little interested when I saw the release and the shmansy vids of the Indiana Jones type waxing lyrical about it......The truth soon started to come out on here though.
2018-3-19
Use props
vijay123
lvl.1

India

nsnjkndkjcnskc sdcs ldc

nkjwnkjnwjkendwjendkjwnejkdnkjendw
2018-3-20
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-3-20
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-3-20 02:32
That's not true. The average consumer is not going to pay more than 1.200 - 1.300€for the new Mavic. Technology moves along but prices should remain more or less stable unless it features any growndbraking usp. Prosumers in the other side could easily spend taht amount. Last time I checked, the Mavic is not a professional drone. Of course that could change if Dji decides to keep the Air as a Mavic Pro substitute and the Mavic Pro II as a portable Phantom 4 Pro. IMO that would be a big mistake if they want to target the same group. Again I believe the consumer market is considerably bigger than the pro market.

No, that's true alright - when the original Mavic launched in September 2016 and had a 3-5 month waiting list for it people paid £2,500+ for second hand standard combos on Ebay at Christmas 2016 just to get hold of one. Some vendors were selling them in those days for over £3,000 as so sought after... You tubers were selling their Inspire's to get it! If the MP2 has a 1" 20mp sensor that will immediately place it as a prosumer grade product alongside my P4P and an improved camera is ultimately what everyone is expecting in the MP2 and people will pay through the nose for it as we have already seen... The P4 was £1200 in Nov '16, it's successor the P4P was £1600 or over £1800 with a screen and sold out. I will be amazed if the MP2 has the same price tag as an MPP now.
2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-3-20 02:55
No, that's true alright - when the original Mavic launched in September 2016 and had a 3-5 month waiting list for it people paid £2,500+ for second hand standard combos on Ebay at Christmas 2016 just to get hold of one. Some vendors were selling them in those days for over £3,000 as so sought after... You tubers were selling their Inspire's to get it! If the MP2 has a 1" 20mp sensor that will immediately place it as a prosumer grade product alongside my P4P and an improved camera is ultimately what everyone is expecting in the MP2 and people will pay through the nose for it as we have already seen... The P4 was £1200 in Nov '16, it's successor the P4P was £1600 or over £1800 with a screen and sold out. I will be amazed if the MP2 has the same price tag as an MPP now.

That group of inovators consists of a mere 2,5% of the market, so it doesn't say anything about the market or the pricing for the Mavic Pro 2. As the Mavic is marketed for the mass, its very probable that they are not going to make it a prosumer drone. or give it a pricetag which will put it out of reach of the general market. A couple of 100 more is likely, but more then that will take it to another customer market and I don't think DJI is going to leave the market which sells Mavic's in vast numbers.
2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

I think the prosumer that wants a top spec camera will be better served with the changeable optics of the phantom V
2018-3-20
Use props
hkechung
New

Hong Kong

How long can you wait ?
2018-3-20
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2018-3-20
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 2018-3-20 05:56
And this is a reasonable comment from another reasonable potential Mavic Pro II owner

A small correction, I think I'll have to wait a little longer for a Mavic Air II, unless DJI can downsize the Mavic Pro II to Mavic Air's size. But that seems somewhat unlikely at this point in time.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-3-20 05:55
And my Olympus with 4Mp and a 1/1.8" sensor was selling for 1.400€ in 1999. Today you get a Full Frame Nikon D610 with 24Mpx.

I wrote it in my previous comment, technology progress can only be sold more expensive today IF it has a substantial leap over the competition. The best example is Apple, the price of their flagship products does not increase disproportionately and Dji is comparable to Apple in many ways. In 2016, the Mavic was revolutionary. Putting a 1" sensor on a drone that size in 2018 is not surreal, Autel is doing it right now.

The Mavic Pro was launched in New York on 27 September 2016 - that's less than 18 months ago - not 2.5 years.
I didn't find the prices, I remember seeing the bids myself and watched them sell for that price at the time. There are many videos from Q4 2016 stating it too.
Rolex watches BTW are not tech - there is no comparison there. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date reference 1530 - only 1,500 pieces were made from 1974-1977 - it was worth £250 when first sold, I've insured it for £10,000 now - a 41 year old stainless steel watch!
We will wait to see how DJI price the Mavic Pro 2 and I'll be happy to return to this thread when it does - I'm certain it will be far more than the existing price of the Mavic Pro Platinum. I and thousands of others will still buy it as it will be a far better drone than the Mavic Air, Pro and Platinum.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-20 04:56
That group of inovators consists of a mere 2,5% of the market, so it doesn't say anything about the market or the pricing for the Mavic Pro 2. As the Mavic is marketed for the mass, its very probable that they are not going to make it a prosumer drone. or give it a pricetag which will put it out of reach of the general market. A couple of 100 more is likely, but more then that will take it to another customer market and I don't think DJI is going to leave the market which sells Mavic's in vast numbers.

Well I did say £2000, that's £500 more than the existing Mavic Pro Platinum fly more combo - we'll see!
2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-3-20 06:29
Well I did say £2000, that's £500 more than the existing Mavic Pro Platinum fly more combo - we'll see!

Yes we will, and I'm eager to find out what will hit the market. Better not board the hype train though, for all we know DJI thinks a 1/1.7" sensor would satisfy the markets demands and price marker.
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, we can all speculate but nobody will tell you for sure - wasn’t it suppose to be released now LOL
2018-3-20
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-3-20 06:53
Well, we can all speculate but nobody will tell you for sure - wasn’t it suppose to be released now LOL

I'd say it's about time
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules