Flying Mavic Pro with differing Firmware versions for AC & RC
1926 15 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165213 ft
Australia

I recently received a refurbed Mavic Pro under Care Refresh which arrived with V01.04.0100 firmware loaded.
My RC is at V01.04.0200. This resulted from attempting to upgrade both to V01.04.0200 and having the AC continually fail to upgrade. Pano & Quickshot features were missing, and additionally the OA sensors did not work, resulting in a crash. Hence I received a refurb AC.
My question is, is it OK to fly with different firmware versions? I am very reluctant to ever upgrade again and go through the frustration and pain of having to deal with DJI's abysmal service. I have not attempted to fly yet, would love some feedback first.
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not advisable. Use DJI Assistant 2 and upgrade the FW on just the AC one FW release at a time until it reaches the latest version. Then do the same with the RC.
2018-3-5
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I used to update firmware using just wifi.  No more - I agree with CW.  Go to Assistant 2 and use that one.  Also, you might want to Google "How to update Mavic Firmware using DJI Assistant 2".  You'll get good step by step instructions.

2018-3-5
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-5 16:29
I used to update firmware using just wifi.  No more - I agree with CW.  Go to Assistant 2 and use that one.  Also, you might want to Google "How to update Mavic Firmware using DJI Assistant 2".  You'll get good step by step instructions.

Thank you A CW & StanfordWebbie for your input.
As I said, really reluctant to try upgrading again after waiting 5 weeks for a replacement AC which was 'bricked' by an previous upgrade attempt(s). I used DJI Assistant 2 BTW.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought DJI issues new Mavic Pros under DJI Care Refresh, are you sure it was refurbished and not brand new? Not necessarily because they don't ship it boxed brand new doesn't mean the drone wasn't unboxed and reviewed ahead of time before sending it off to you. I just like to know in case for the future my DJI Care Refresh needs to be used what to expect?
2018-3-5
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 16:52
I thought DJI issues new Mavic Pros under DJI Care Refresh, are you sure it was refurbished and not brand new? Not necessarily because they don't ship it boxed brand new doesn't mean the drone wasn't unboxed and reviewed ahead of time before sending it off to you. I just like to know in case for the future my DJI Care Refresh needs to be used what to expect?

My refurbished unit has an 'R' in the serial number. From what I have read elsewhere that is how refurnished units are identified. It is in pristine condition and has absolutely no bark marks.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AussieFlyer Posted at 2018-3-5 17:04
My refurbished unit has an 'R' in the serial number. From what I have read elsewhere that is how refurnished units are identified. It is in pristine condition and has absolutely no bark marks.

So officially DJI issues "refurbished drones under DJI Care Refresh? Shucks - I thought paying $59 plus additional $49, or ~$120, for another Spark that sells $300 brand new - was an OK deal.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 17:51
So officially DJI issues "refurbished drones under DJI Care Refresh? Shucks - I thought paying $59 plus additional $49, or ~$120, for another Spark that sells $300 brand new - was an OK deal.

In hindsight why would people pay $59 for potentially needing the coverage when instituting another $49 and $69 for the Spark when it sells brand new for $399 with Remote Controller gives you the "real back in the game" experience in an instant?
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey AussieFlyer, thanks for reaching us. It is not suggested to fly when the firmware versions are not consistent. I'll recommend updating the aircraft to ensure the stability. If you encounter any difficulties in upgrading, feel free to contact us, we'll try our best to help.
2018-3-5
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-5 19:38
Hey AussieFlyer, thanks for reaching us. It is not suggested to fly when the firmware versions are not consistent. I'll recommend updating the aircraft to ensure the stability. If you encounter any difficulties in upgrading, feel free to contact us, we'll try our best to help.

DJI Susan

Thanks for your reply, with all respect, DJI were of no help whatsoever when I reached out trying to resolve the problem I had trying to upgrade to V01.04.0200.  That's why I am very reluctant to try again. I have waited five weeks to get a replacement AC and then it is sent out with old firmware.
Can I downgrade the RC from V01.04.0200 back to V01.04.0100 to match the AC?
2018-3-5
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I personally fly with different FW versions on Batteries, RC and Mavic since last summer having No problem at all - But might be that's just me and only for this particular setup
2018-3-5
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

alex_markov Posted at 2018-3-5 23:15
I personally fly with different FW versions on Batteries, RC and Mavic since last summer having No problem at all - But might be that's just me and only for this particular setup

Thanks Alex,
Just waiting on DJI Susan to confirm if I can downgrade the RC rather than upgrade the AC.
2018-3-6
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

AussieFlyer Posted at 2018-3-6 04:38
Thanks Alex,
Just waiting on DJI Susan to confirm if I can downgrade the RC rather than upgrade the AC.

Don't build up any hope for that
2018-3-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

AussieFlyer Posted at 2018-3-6 04:38
Thanks Alex,
Just waiting on DJI Susan to confirm if I can downgrade the RC rather than upgrade the AC.

Hi, i currently fly my Ac which is on the 0100 and my RC on 0200 firmaware. no issues found and very stable. i will not upgrade has this is found to be very stable with completely no issues.
2018-3-6
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

Suren Posted at 2018-3-6 08:04
Hi, i currently fly my Ac which is on the 0100 and my RC on 0200 firmaware. no issues found and very stable. i will not upgrade has this is found to be very stable with completely no issues.

Suren
Thanks for that, was going to gingerly fly it today to test. Wind here lately would blow ya dog of its chain.

Edit after flight. All appears OK everthing working as expected.
2018-3-6
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Australia

alex_markov Posted at 2018-3-6 08:01
Don't build up any hope for that

I shall remain hopeful for a reply.
2018-3-6
Use props
Advanced