123Next >
32623 86 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Hey pilots,
    I've read numerous threads mentioning the Litchi app. Of course, I got curious about Litchi and watched a few YouTube videos to see what it was all about. I wasn't too impressed with what I saw in comparison to DJI Go.  I'm curious as to why some folks would rather fly their drones via Litchi as opposed sticking with what our drones were designed with? Do those that favor Litchi just choose to run a different app for non comformist reasons? I really can't find any logical reason to not use DJI GO.

Educate me!
2018-3-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's many pilot apps for the DJI drones, including GO. DJI make available a Software Developer Kit (SDK) for apps to interface to the controller-drone via software calls, as their market is the hardware and not the software.

To your question: for me it's two reasons - autonomous missions and code quality. You can use the Litchi Mission Hub to build a mission (with route, waypoints, camera height, etc), upload it to the drone, and send it on its way. Great for pre-planning and replicating exact flights over time.
Otherwise, the Litchi app is a leaner app and arguably is better written code. That's why it'll still run on older CPU platforms, as it doesn't have the same level of processing demands as the current GO 4 series.
But I still use DJI GO 4 too. There are configuration processes which must still be done via the DJI app (IMU configuration, for example), and I actually quite like the Editor for putting something quick together in the field.
You just don't run multiple pilot apps at the same time.
2018-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The main reason to use Litchi is for waypoint flights, which it does very well.
For all-round flying and photography, DJI Go is the best choice.
2018-3-5
Use props
jbj220
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847031 ft
United States

I use my drone for photography. The dji go app keeps using popups for bogus warnings and it's very distracting when trying to compose a photograph. My main reason for using Litchi, no constant popups...
2018-3-6
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

jbj220 Posted at 2018-3-6 05:35
I use my drone for photography. The dji go app keeps using popups for bogus warnings and it's very distracting when trying to compose a photograph. My main reason for using Litchi, no constant popups...

hehe, i have to agree

i recently started flying again and even though i had used both extensively, this was also my big aha moment last week.... GO4 is worried about wind and airspace and firmware and .... ... .. Litchi just lets you fly.

but seriously, the waypoints are very cool.. smooth cinematic flights with offline mission planning on PC. wouldnt miss it, well worth the money
2018-3-6
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

Awesome video! That was super entertaining. Thank you for that. I[m wondering what you mean with trying what with DJI GO? DJI GO does allow you to follow a object. Also, what was with the fast blinking lights on the lead Drone? Usually yellow blinking lights mean the compass needs calibration.

Help me understand good sir!
2018-3-6
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I love watching your videos Dirty Bird. You have some nice scenery to shoot for sure. And yes to your point, this would not happen with the GO app. I too am a Litchi fan.
2018-3-6
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-6 08:04
Thanks Ricardo really appreciate your comment!

I have been itching to try the do the same procedure as you have with my son. We both have P3A's and I was wondering about the altitudes. So 10' is not a problem?  I can't wait to do this! Such an awesome way to view the other phantom.  So you launch them at the same time? I was also wondering if a couple second delay would be necessary....you say they were paused at the start. Does than mean both had the missions loaded and then started, but then paused them in the app for little bit, then cut them loose.
2018-3-6
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-6 08:42
I get both birds at the start point, tweak them manually if necessary,  then release the pause.  As long as you remain in contact you can tweak things (speed up/slow down)with the controls even as the Mission is running.  A Phantom is small so you have to stay pretty close to make things look good.  Delaying by a couple seconds is probably too much.  I aim for 20-25' horizontal separation & 10' vertically just in case the chase bird overtakes the leader.  You'll need to do some tests to see if one bird is faster & put the faster bird up front.

Hey thanks for the advice and I totally understand what you are saying. Good point that you have to stay pretty close to make things look good. A lot of times it looks as though you are much closer than you really are. Not sure when I get a chance to try this, but I would like to share it with you when ever that happens.
2018-3-6
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Litchi mainly for the VR view. It and $25 goggles and I have an amazing FPV - Also none of the annoying pop ups!
2018-3-6
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Besides what everyone is talking about with the waypoint missions, which I found to be freaking awesome....You can get so many hollywood cinematic type shots by planning it out on the computer or tab. The other feature I use on Litchi is the VR mode. You can get VR goggles for pretty cheap (mine cost like $30). You put the phone into the goggles turn on the VR mode in Litchi and you will have an immersive view, closest you can get to actually flying without actually flying.
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

There's no competition. Dji go 4 is way behind in functionality.

Litchi can set wayoints relative to ground. So you can set waypoints as low as possible without hitting the terrain and obstacles, it will maintain the same height on different heights of terrain and lands.

Panorama mode as well
2018-3-8
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

try this with dji go 4. See litchi test 23 waypoints on small field
To set-up in Litchi takes 2 min.
2018-3-12
Use props
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

fanastic video.  Were both drones flying following a Litchi mission?
2018-3-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-8 21:36
Let me know I'd love to see what you come up with!

Morning DB, have you ever experienced this with Litchi and Google Earth? Worries me which data I should trust.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .37841/#post-440942
2018-3-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-31 07:37
Interesting.  I have been programming my flights with the maps shown in Litchi.  For close in work like a building spiral I switch to the 2D (standard view) map when plotting points.  As a safety you can always do a test run by plotting the mission with the points just above the building heights & do a run with the camera facing straight down.  Adjust as necessary after viewing the video.

Good Idea, especially on a structure like this, most of my Litchi flight are 3-10 minutes tops mostly POI's, a dry run at a higher altitude is the way to go, also can get correct gimbal pitch and re-adjust the interpolate in the final mission, Thanks!
2018-3-31
Use props
DaveW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110994 ft

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-31 07:33
Yes each was running a Litchi Waypoint mission.  The chase bird mission was slightly modded. 25' back at the start, all chase bird waypoints +10', and the end point was moved slightly to the side to avoid a collision at the end.  Once launched they ran their missions autonomously with no pilot intervention.

Very impressive and although they were not under diect pilot control it takes quite some doing getting the mission planned so well so I take my hat off to your Sir!
2018-3-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-31 07:37
Interesting.  I have been programming my flights with the maps shown in Litchi.  For close in work like a building spiral I switch to the 2D (standard view) map when plotting points.  As a safety you can always do a test run by plotting the mission with the points just above the building heights & do a run with the camera facing straight down.  Adjust as necessary after viewing the video.

Hey DB, followed your suggestion of planning missions using the 2D map. After mission set up in the hub exported the KML and CSV file. KML line up perfectly in Google Earth, and then I flew a virtual mission with the CSV file in Google Earth and it flew as planned. Thanks for the great info!
2018-4-1
Use props
Pauxier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm stuck trying to figure out how to virtually fly a mission in G Earth Pro. I imported the CSV and it shows up but I'm missing something on actually testing the flight.  (not trying to hi-jack this thread, I can start a new one if need be)
2018-4-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2018-4-1 04:26
I'm stuck trying to figure out how to virtually fly a mission in G Earth Pro. I imported the CSV and it shows up but I'm missing something on actually testing the flight.  (not trying to hi-jack this thread, I can start a new one if need be)

You can D/load the Virtual Litchi Mission App from this Thread Mavic Pilots Forum it in Post # 118 only for PC at this time.
2018-4-1
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

With a waypoint mission can you program a point that is out of radio range and still have the drone fly to that point? Or will it RTH when signal is lost?
2018-4-1
Use props
DanielTheRider
Second Officer
United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-4-1 05:19
With a waypoint mission can you program a point that is out of radio range and still have the drone fly to that point? Or will it RTH when signal is lost?

Rhetorical question? If so, can you not?
2018-4-2
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

DanielTheRider Posted at 2018-4-2 06:53
Rhetorical question? If so, can you not?

Rhetorical? No, its a legit question. I do not have Litchi or tried the waypoint missions on my Phantom. So my question still stands. I'm sorry if its an obvious answer to you or others
2018-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dont slow down Posted at 2018-4-1 05:19

A Litchi waypoint mission will continue when signal is lost.
Which is why you have to triple check to ensure the path will be clear of obstacles and terrain.
2018-4-2
Use props
fansfcfd4e3a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18865 ft
United States

To the OP -
1) few (zero?) pop-ups
2) Just because DJI says you’re in a NFZ, it does not mean you’re in an FAA NFZ.
3) (probably the biggest reason and it frustrates me each time I open DJI Go) Litchi isn’t delaying the opening of the app to show me an ad for the latest and greatest DJI quad for sale. Just open the app, DJI! What takes Litchi about 5 seconds seems to take DJI 20-30 seconds.
4) DJi Go insists on checking the firmware each time it opens. This frequency should be user-selectable, and they haven’t figured out how to pre-download the firmware for your registered craft, so if you do have to download FW, you’re further delayed.
5) Waypoint missions

Why use the DJI App? The support documentation is better. Just try finding a forum or straightforward instructions about the different joystick modes in Litchi’s “Focus”mode, you’ll see what I mean.
2018-4-2
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-6 07:58
Thanks.   The flight is not one drone following another with the "Follow" function.  That wouldn't work for a drone as they are too small to maintain a lock.    It is a pair of P3 Standards each flying independent autonomous waypoint missions created with the Litchi app.  The drones are totally unaware of each other & are simply following their programmed respective flight plans.  The chase bird start/end waypoints were slightly adjusted & all chase bird waypoints were increased in altitude +10'.  The aircraft were paused at their start points then released in unison.  From there until return they were just flying the programmed flight.  The flashing yellow lights indicate the drone is out of contact with the RC.  At one point in the video you see some double red flashes.  The red flashes are a Proximity Alert for a pair of NFZs off to the left around the two stadiums.

Basically this mission would be impossible with Go as you could not maintain contact with the drone to complete the flight.  I was attempting to answer the OP's question as to what use is the Litchi app.  The Litchi app opens up possibilities that cannot be done with Go.

Hi Dirty Bird...awesome...very inspirational!

Couple of questions:

1. Are you saying that there's no need to keep contact once the drone is on a mission?  If so, what happens if it goes into ATTI mode?

2. Also, I've seen comments about popups. Is it not dangerous not to have to popups or are the critical ones still displayed?

Thanks!
2018-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Quade Posted at 2018-7-10 08:05
Hi Dirty Bird...awesome...very inspirational!

Couple of questions:

If so, what happens if it goes into ATTI mode?
Why would your drone go into atti mode?
It's not at all normal for a phantom to just go into atti mode.
2018-7-10
Use props
mastix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6659610 ft
  • >>>
Spain

For me it is Litchi. Unable to fly with the Dji Go app because low video transmission quality. With Litchi Perfect.
Yes also the no constant annoying pop ups and advertisements is a plus.
2018-7-10
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-5 23:40

And VR!!! Don't fly without it,.
2018-7-10
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-3-6 10:33
Besides what everyone is talking about with the waypoint missions, which I found to be freaking awesome....You can get so many hollywood cinematic type shots by planning it out on the computer or tab. The other feature I use on Litchi is the VR mode. You can get VR goggles for pretty cheap (mine cost like $30). You put the phone into the goggles turn on the VR mode in Litchi and you will have an immersive view, closest you can get to actually flying without actually flying.

Yep a view I find superior to DJI Goggles.
2018-7-10
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Lithuania

Well i'm using three apps, GO4 for normal occasions to film and take pictures, Ground station for planing my flights and Litchi for better performance when i have strong wind or strong interference.
2018-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-7-11 12:33
Well i'm using three apps, GO4 for normal occasions to film and take pictures, Ground station for planing my flights and Litchi for better performance when i have strong wind or strong interference.

Litchi for better performance when i have strong wind
It's hard to imagine how Litchi would make any difference regarding winds or performance.
Can you explain that?
2018-7-11
Use props
snowyowl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6119 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-6 07:58
Thanks.   The flight is not one drone following another with the "Follow" function.  That wouldn't work for a drone as they are too small to maintain a lock.    It is a pair of P3 Standards each flying independent autonomous waypoint missions created with the Litchi app.  The drones are totally unaware of each other & are simply following their programmed respective flight plans.  The chase bird start/end waypoints were slightly adjusted & all chase bird waypoints were increased in altitude +10'.  The aircraft were paused at their start points then released in unison.  From there until return they were just flying the programmed flight.  The flashing yellow lights indicate the drone is out of contact with the RC.  At one point in the video you see some double red flashes.  The red flashes are a Proximity Alert for a pair of NFZs off to the left around the two stadiums.

Basically this mission would be impossible with Go as you could not maintain contact with the drone to complete the flight.  I was attempting to answer the OP's question as to what use is the Litchi app.  The Litchi app opens up possibilities that cannot be done with Go.

You should consider creating a tutorial using litchi and setting up way points if you have the time.
2018-7-11
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-7-11 05:30
Do you use iOS? What goggles do you use?

Yes IOS. I have a pair of VR Goggles from Amazon...Blitzkrieg but any will do.
2018-7-11
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Lithuania

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-11 20:09
Litchi for better performance when i have strong wind
It's hard to imagine how Litchi would make any difference regarding winds or performance.
Can you explain that?

no popup messages, it gives you better concentration on what you are doing

Im calling it performance ;)
2018-7-12
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-7-12 06:19
Thanks for the info Brian. I can't seem to find the model you reference. I'd like to potentially get the same pair that you use, knowing you find they work well. Do you have a link to them? Does it really improve the flight experience while using them? Also, how do you connect your phone in them and how do you connect to the RC? Is there a special cable? Bluetooth? Thanks in advance.

Here ya go Tommy...I had the name wrong ...It's Blitz Wolf.

https://amzn.to/2KSL4Eb
2018-7-12
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

snowyowl Posted at 2018-7-11 20:47
You should consider creating a tutorial using litchi and setting up way points if you have the time.

It's right here:
https://flylitchi.com/hub
2018-7-13
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-7-13 10:13
Is it possible to do waypoint missions while wearing this?

No. It's not possible.
2018-7-14
Use props
buzzgreen
lvl.1

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-5 23:40

can it be downloaded over an integrated display on the  P4+ as an app and run over the Go 4?
2018-7-14
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

buzzgreen Posted at 2018-7-14 12:57
can it be downloaded over an integrated display on the  P4+ as an app and run over the Go 4?

https://flylitchi.com/crystalsky   
2018-7-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules