Silly damper questions
1214 10 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roy
lvl.2

United States

I'm almost ashamed to ask these questions but I'm anal so I want a second (or more) opinion.

After doing a teardown to replace a part, when I replaced the dameprs I noticed a couple of things off. My two front dampers aren't perfectly round. They're squeezed a little out of shape by the camera mount. Can someone take a look at yours and let me know if it is like this? I assume this is normal because there's no other way to put it back together but I want to be 100% sure I didn't do anything wrong.

On another damper I got a tear from squeezing it through the tiny holes. I think it's OK to fly like this but I just want to make sure it's not a horrible idea. Yes, I do have the spare dampers the Inspire ships with but it's such a PITA to replace them. I'd rather not if I don't have to.

20150504_112546-1.jpg
20150504_112714.jpg
2015-5-4
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I would replace the damper with the split in it. If I didn't have a spare I would be happy to use it as it is with maybe a dab of Silastic sealant on it to stop it getting worse. Also place a small tie wrap or dental floss loosely put though the hole and tied on the outside as a precaution. Which is a smart thing to do anyway.

Two forward dampers are misshapen because the rest against the camera plate, which is the same as mine.
2015-5-4
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Thank you very much. It's as I thought, I just needed to hear it from someone else.

That rear damper looks like a bear to replace. I think I'll run some floss through it, keep an eye on it and replace it if necessary. Even if it completely fails I think I'm probably OK if the other three are intact.

I have some silicone liquid nails. It's called an adhesive but after doing some research it sounds like "silicone sealant" and "silicone adhesive" are basically the same thing. Will a dab of this do: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=IGOR7JBX5FACVU6K
2015-5-4
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Any ideas if the dampers are available as parts? I see this as a disposable and possibly quickly wearing part depending on continuous flying conditions. I would love to have 3 or 4 sets around just in-case
2015-5-4
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hey Roy,

Just checked mine.  They don't appear to be squeezed.   I've had them off and remember having to mess with them a bit to get them to sit properly.   Maybe keep playing with it and see if you can remove the squeeze.

I had the same problem with damage forcing them back throught.   Thinking there must be a better technique and would be great for someone who is good at it to make a little video.

damper.jpg
2015-5-4
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

When I have to install rubber bushings into tight places I use "Windex" it makes the rubber slippery, won't hurt it and evaporates quickly leaving no residue behind.
2015-5-4
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-5 07:46
When I have to install rubber bushings into tight places I use "Windex" it makes the rubber slippery ...

According to your avatar you also use it to wash your dog!   

Good tip, thanks!
2015-5-4
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-5 06:59
Hey Roy,

Just checked mine.  They don't appear to be squeezed.   I've had them off and remember hav ...

Are you saying the "base" of the damper is perfectly round? The camera plate doesn't encroach at all on the circle? If you look stright down at the dampers does it look different than my photos in the first post?

I'm talking about where the damper presses against the bottom of the drone. That part of the damper doesn't touch the camera plate? For me the camera plate slightly encroaches on the damper making it slightly less than a perfect circle. In other words they are both sort of in each other's space.

If I did something wrong I just don't see what I can do differently. The camera plate screws into the holes made for it. The damper has to go into the hole made for it. In my case they very slightly interfere with each other. Have I done something wrong?

EDIT: In hindsight I never even removed the camera plate from the base so I don't think it's possible I did anything wrong here. I took a bunch of pieces apart and when I put it all back together the dampers didn't look right to me so I thought I might have done something wrong. But this must be the way it is since I didn't touch the camera plate.

2015-5-4
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-5 08:25
Are you saying the "base" of the damper is perfectly round? The camera plate doesn't encroach at al ...

I'm only referring to the gimbal plate mounting to the base plate so we are probably talking about different things.
2015-5-4
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Here's mine and Ive never touched them

2015-5-5
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-5-5 16:26
Here's mine and Ive never touched them

Looks like yours are about the same as mine. Thanks!
2015-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules