Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 and X4S camera mounting
2015 11 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

Hi guys,

I've had my Inspire 2 and X4S camera for a while now and have been flying it and recording video and taking stills.

Then I had some family issues and I have not been able to fly it for several months. Now I can't seem to get the camera to mount any more!

I can't imagine what happened and it's kind of embarassing, but the camera mount does not seem to 'seat' into the mount deep enough to rotate it. It's like the 3 tabs are too far out of the socket to catch the simple 1/4 (or 1/8) turn threads! I've pressed the release button while trying to mount the camera and it just doesn't seem to want to mount any more.

Has anyone experienced this or I wonder if something got damaged somehow.

I will say that it was never real easy to mount the camera, but I just figured that it would get easier with time and practice. Now even inside with a table and plenty of light, it does not appear to be possible, and I certainly don't want to force it.

I can clearly see the white index mark at the center of the large tab on the camera itself and the red index mark on the mount itself, but the threads (tabs really) don't sit deep enough in the mounting socket. And it doesn't even look deep enough to accomodate the required turn if they did engage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bill~

2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Ace, please shoot a picture of the connector of camera and the connector of the drone. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-5
Use props
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-5 20:26
Ace, please shoot a picture of the connector of camera and the connector of the drone. Thanks for your support.

I knew that would be the sensible thing to do.... Not everyone wants to hear my 1,000 words....

Maybe it's because you don't know me yet.

Not sure how helpful this is because it's hard to show. Everything looks pretty okay except for setting up for the twist.

2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Ace_In_Sunriver Posted at 2018-3-5 21:08
I knew that would be the sensible thing to do.... Not everyone wants to hear my 1,000 words....

Maybe it's because you don't know me yet.

Please press the button showed in the screenshot and revolve the connector to the right position. Please keep us updated if the problem remains.
1.png
2018-3-6
Use props
Des_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129600 ft
United Kingdom

Ace, I would also give it a blastt of air (using an aerosol like you would get to clean a computer keyboard) to blow out any debris.

Looks like you might have some swarf in the connector, worst case it could short the connector pins.

Cheers

Des
2018-3-6
Use props
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the suggestions Elektra, and Des.

As I mentioned, I have pressed the release button a lot, but to no avail. The tabs go part way into the socket, but do not fit down in it far enough to engage. It's like the base of the connector on the camera is touching the raised connector in the base of the socket, preventing the engagement. As I recall, the button was not needed to mount the camera, but only to unmount it, but I could be mistaken.

And yes Des, I agree and have cleaned it out a few times, however the issue of mounting it has taken priority. It even seems like some paint is flaking off. For as new as this is, it just seems like something is not right.
2018-3-6
Use props
snath
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ace_In_Sunriver Posted at 2018-3-6 06:51
Thanks for the suggestions Elektra, and Des.

As I mentioned, I have pressed the release button a lot, but to no avail. The tabs go part way into the socket, but do not fit down in it far enough to engage. It's like the base of the connector on the camera is touching the raised connector in the base of the socket, preventing the engagement. As I recall, the button was not needed to mount the camera, but only to unmount it, but I could be mistaken.

The only other thing I would recommend as it happened to me as well, the base center connector may have moved (swiveled) and you will have to align it to the camera connector, it swivels fairly easily. Also someone indicated to blast the dirt away. I had to do the same.
2018-3-6
Use props
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

That sounds promising, I will try that tonight when I get home!
Thanks~
2018-3-6
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with snath. I had the same thing with my X4s. Just pinch the tab between 2 fingers and turn it like a fob on a door handle
2018-3-6
Use props
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

Snath and fassdb are correct,

Somehow the socket connector is at least somewhat prone to a rotation and then a slight lockup that prevents the camera from being mounted again.

I was very hopeful when I got home to try it, but then was disappointed when the raised connection on the camera mount was as tight as could be. I tried several times in each direction but it was locked up jelly tight. I tried it again several times but it would not budge. I tried again to mount it as it is designed to be mounted and again and it would just not seat properly. I tried rotating the connector in the socket again and it was pretty darned tight. Eventually I tried it again and it broke free.

I'm including the 'after' picture of a 'proper dismount.' By comparing it with the earlier 'before' picture, it's easy to see that the camera socket on the Inspire 2 can get out of adjustment for proper camera mounting. As designed it is meant to connect with the the wiring connectors lined up, which allows the 'jacks' to be connected first and making electrical connection first, and then rotated to be mechanically connected as well.
(Note: The store was out of compressed air cans, I will properly clean before next flight!)

I am back up and running again thanks to the community.

Cheers, Ace~

1024.jpg
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ace_In_Sunriver Posted at 2018-3-6 21:25
Snath and fassdb are correct,

Somehow the socket connector is at least somewhat prone to a rotation and then a slight lockup that prevents the camera from being mounted again.

Glad to know the issue was sorted out, thanks for other users' assistance, hope you enjoy flying and please keep us updated if there is any further problem.
2018-3-6
Use props
Ace_In_Sunriver
lvl.1
United States

One final closing lesson learned here, as I finally was able to fly this amazing system today, is this. If the connector does happen to get rotated all the way (1/8 of a turn Clockwise), it won't budge unless the release button is pressed. This is what had happened to me. So if it happens to you, just press the button and turn it 1/8 CCW and you're back in business.
2018-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules