Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low angle Point of Interest... can it be done?
3508 8 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

As much as I love how you can use the POI setting to circle your subject hands free,   I hae found that it comes at a limited minimum height.  I was looking for a way to shoot a continual circle around an subject at closer to 2-3 meters off the ground.  Does anyone have any suggestions how this can be done without trying to fly manually?  Thank you.

2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kuya Kano, the minimum height in POI mode can be five meters while the maximum height can be 500 meters, it cannot be operated within 2-3 meters off the ground, thanks for your understanding.
2018-3-10
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-10 00:59
Hi Kuya Kano, the minimum height in POI mode can be five meters while the maximum height can be 500 meters, it cannot be operated within 2-3 meters off the ground, thanks for your understanding.

Thank you, Mindy.
It is unfortunate as it is difficult to get a smooth 360 degree POI shot from about head level as you see in many films.  I was hoping there was a solution, but I guess I'll just have to do my best manually.  Thank you for your response.
2018-3-10
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

Not sure but I think you can do it in Litchi, I seem to remember doing something similar. Also done up and down spirals.
2018-3-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-3-10 04:42
Thank you, Mindy.
It is unfortunate as it is difficult to get a smooth 360 degree POI shot from about head level as you see in many films.  I was hoping there was a solution, but I guess I'll just have to do my best manually.  Thank you for your response.

Active track, lock onto the head and right stick sideways will circle.

Not sure if the height limit is the same?   I have circled fairly low in active track in the past, even below foot height!  And you don't want to go too low since vertical hold is done on the barometer and there is a risk of dropping into the ground when you are not watching the height.
2018-3-10
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-3-10 05:50
Active track, lock onto the head and right stick sideways will circle.

Not sure if the height limit is the same?   I have circled fairly low in active track in the past, even below foot height!  And you don't want to go too low since vertical hold is done on the barometer and there is a risk of dropping into the ground when you are not watching the height.

Thank you, Nigel.

Yes, for an upcoming music video I was thinking about using the P4P for circling the musician at about chest height.  When I tried using Point Of Interest, it wouldn't go below I believe 15 meters.  I'll experiment with Active Track.  
The other reason I didn't mention is that because this is for a promo video in which I myself am the subject, I have to hand over controls to someone else.  -I'm not a big fan of doing that on an island thousands of miles from the nearest DJI repair center.
2018-3-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-3-10 05:58
Thank you, Nigel.

Yes, for an upcoming music video I was thinking about using the P4P for circling the musician at about chest height.  When I tried using Point Of Interest, it wouldn't go below I believe 15 meters.  I'll experiment with Active Track.  

You may have to put it into active track reasonably high, and then bring it down to where you want, fairly sure there is a highish limit when entering active track mode.

Make sure your assistant knows about the pause button, they can always give it back to you safely after pressing pause!

If you are on an island then the ground is probably not very flat, you can take off from somewhere low, and fly your circle somewhere higher.  

Not convinced chest height is very safe, but it's your body!
2018-3-10
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-3-10 09:07
You may have to put it into active track reasonably high, and then bring it down to where you want, fairly sure there is a highish limit when entering active track mode.

Make sure your assistant knows about the pause button, they can always give it back to you safely after pressing pause!

Thank you again.
Now that you mention it, being low on a beach is going to stir up sand.  Maybe we'll just do this shot with a hand held camera.  Hmmm... does DJI make such a device???
2018-3-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-3-10 09:25
Thank you again.
Now that you mention it, being low on a beach is going to stir up sand.  Maybe we'll just do this shot with a hand held camera.  Hmmm... does DJI make such a device???

Damp sand wont blow up, although your sand is probably very different to ours.   You could do it hand held with an OSMO, but the drone will probably give a better result, certainly worth experimenting.

I haven't used POI for a while, but I would have expected that although you have to start off reasonably high and a fair distance from the POI, you can then bring it closer and lower than the initial limits using the sticks, I know I have brought the distance down to zero in the past and I think I have flown it down below take off height - negative height.
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules