Piece of tape at the back of the MP camera
2970 35 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ym58
lvl.3

France

I have been struggling for weeks with panoramic jerkiness, and only pan, watch this :
So far, I haven't been able to find a satisfying solution.

This morning, I noticed a weird piece of tape at the back of the Mavic camera.

Someone knows what it is for and if it's a "must keep" ?

Tape at the back of the MP cam

Tape at the back of the MP cam
[size=14.6667px]

2018-3-5
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

According this thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-70471-1-1.html you may remove it. If you leave it in place no harm is done to your bird. (see entry 4# and 12# by DJI Nathalia
2018-3-6
Use props
ym58
lvl.3

France

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-6 00:56
According this thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-70471-1-1.html you may remove it. If you leave it in place no harm is done to your bird. (see entry 4# and 12# by DJI Nathalia

Read it all, quite instructive.
I would really want to remove it since I believe it definitely scrapes the wire beam movements on the top of the slot and this is ***precisely*** the course of the cam yaw movement !
However, I am a bit concerned if this could be a tamper-proof seal for my MP is still under warranty.
2018-3-6
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

ym58 Posted at 2018-3-6 01:11
I would really want to remove it since I believe it definitely scrapes the wire beam movements on the top of the slot and this is ***precisely*** the course of the cam yaw movement !
However, I am a bit concerned if this could be a tamper-proof seal for my MP is still under warranty.

I removed it on my mavic. If it is scrapes the wires as you believe, it would be a big misplacement for a tamper-proof seal.
2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I removed the red tab on my MPP on day 1 - never had a problem with my gimbal
2018-3-6
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

A CW Posted at 2018-3-6 01:23
I removed the red tab on my MPP on day 1 - never had a problem with my gimbal

This is interesting, I once had a faulty MPP unit with a red tab and now have a MPP with a yellow tab.
I looked at the serial number and the MPP (with the yellow tab) was built November 2017. Do we by now know if there is certainly a difference with the tabs or not?
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42024 ft
France

Marian Posted at 2018-3-6 01:55
This is interesting, I once had a faulty MPP unit with a red tab and now have a MPP with a yellow tab.
I looked at the serial number and the MPP (with the yellow tab) was built November 2017. Do we by now know if there is certainly a difference with the tabs or not?

Was the "red" you mention my "yellow" peel-off handle sticking out ?
2018-3-6
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Spain

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 03:09
Was the "red" you mention my "yellow" peel-off handle sticking out ?

Yes, apparently with the Mavic Pro Platinum units there are two different colors of tabs. One is red, the other one yellow.
There are rumors that the red tab should indicate this is a more updated version but nothing has been confirmed so far. I do not tend to believe that as I have heard people saying they had a red tab and their unit was built around May last year, whereas mine was built November last year with a yellow tab.

The faulty unit I had before had a red tab, but this had nothing to do with being a faulty unit, the fan just didn't spin.
2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Marian - that one still remains a mystery and nothing official has ever been confirmed. My MPP was also built in Nov 2017 - just 2 weeks before I received it at the end of that month. It is speculated that they upgraded the camera in some way but as I said, nothing confirmed. I think it’s just a production process in the DJI factory for manufacturing purposes myself but having owned an MP earlier last year there is a noticeable improvement in the image quality compared to my MPP but that could simply have been done by FW update.
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

A CW Posted at 2018-3-6 03:20
Hi Marian - that one still remains a mystery and nothing official has ever been confirmed. My MPP was also built in Nov 2017 - just 2 weeks before I received it at the end of that month. It is speculated that they upgraded the camera in some way but as I said, nothing confirmed. I think it’s just a production process in the DJI factory for manufacturing purposes myself but having owned an MP earlier last year there is a noticeable improvement in the image quality compared to my MPP but that could simply have been done by FW update.

"noticeable improvement"
: could you describe what cam features are impacted ?
has panoramic jerkiness (or "jidder") improved in some ways ?
2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

More natural colour grading, less saturated, less digital artefact in higher resolutions. I also get straighter horizons but that will be down to the upgraded ESC’s and winglet props. Pano’s were not an option on my MP when I had it so can’t compare on that one but I’ve never experienced “jerkiness” on my MPP when taking them - even 360’s in moderate winds at 400’ AGL.  
2018-3-6
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Spain

After looking at your video I am not entirely sure it is related to the camera itself. I certainly can see the jerkiness you are describing but as we know the camera can't be panned that much. The only panning the camera has (left, right) is when you actually use the yaw of the aircraft and only then it will pan for a few degrees. You can test this when the aircraft is on the ground and use your stick to yaw either left or right, you can see the camera panning slightly. The only other movement is up and down with the wheel.
Therefore I am wondering if your issue could be related to something else, might your aircraft be jittering? What kind of EXP settings do you have for your left and right rotation?
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

Marian Posted at 2018-3-6 03:50
After looking at your video I am not entirely sure it is related to the camera itself. I certainly can see the jerkiness you are describing but as we know the camera can't be panned that much. The only panning the camera has (left, right) is when you actually use the yaw of the aircraft and only then it will pan for a few degrees. You can test this when the aircraft is on the ground and use your stick to yaw either left or right, you can see the camera panning slightly. The only other movement is up and down with the wheel.
Therefore I am wondering if your issue could be related to something else, might your aircraft be jittering? What kind of EXP settings do you have for your left and right rotation?

there is a misunderstanding : what I mean with panning is definitely the yaw of the a/c !
I did this shooting with the MP hovering and then "panning" it by ways of the horizontal left stick (rudder).
my EXP are all set to 0.1 to smoothen movements to a maximum and achieve pro-like videos ... hence my frustration.
2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ym58 Posted at 2018-3-6 01:11
I would really want to remove it since I believe it definitely scrapes the wire beam movements on the top of the slot and this is ***precisely*** the course of the cam yaw movement !

I removed it. No issues.
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-6 04:09
I removed it. No issues.

Guess I understand now why this tape is there ...
Actually, there's a small L-shaped metallic tab inside the gimbal casing on which the back of the camera can easily be in contact during operations.
Does anyone know what this part is for as it can potentially damage (scratch) the back of the camera ?

2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 04:35
Guess I understand now why this tape is there ...
Actually, there's a small L-shaped metallic tab inside the gimbal casing on which the back of the camera can easily be in contact during operations.
Does anyone know what this part is for as it can potentially damage (scratch) the back of the camera ?

I think this tape is just for protection during the production phase.
It has this yellow tab that indicates: temporary.
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-6 04:45
I think this tape is just for protection during the production phase.
It has this yellow tab that indicates: temporary.

Does yellow mean "temporary" in a manufacturing line ?
2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 04:54
Does yellow mean "temporary" in a manufacturing line ?

As far as my logic goes.
All the stickers on the MP had this yellow tab on them and had to be (could be) removed.
But I don't work at DJI, so I might be wrong.
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-6 05:00
As far as my logic goes.
All the stickers on the MP had this yellow tab on them and had to be (could be) removed.
But I don't work at DJI, so I might be wrong.

Some are yellow, others red ....
2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 05:02
Some are yellow, others red ....

Ok, not with mine. They were all yellow.
And I must say I had doubts about the one behind the gimbal (the others were very obvious).
But I figured it could obstruct the movement, so I removed it also.
2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fans - All of the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Alpine White drones have yellow tabs on the gimbal out the box - only the Mavic Pro Platinum has a red tab though Marian’s replacement MPP had a yellow one too.  
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

A CW Posted at 2018-3-6 05:35
Fans - All of the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Alpine White drones have yellow tabs on the gimbal out the box - only the Mavic Pro Platinum has a red tab though Marian’s replacement MPP had a yellow one too.

Actually, fans (more precisely fans555d37eb) is not my pseudo, it used to be ym58 (see my initial post) and it changed all of a sudden with no reason ... maybe an admin could explain this ?
Weird.
ym58
2018-3-6
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 06:02
Actually, fans (more precisely fans555d37eb) is not my pseudo, it used to be ym58 (see my initial post) and it changed all of a sudden with no reason ... maybe an admin could explain this ?
Weird.
ym58

Even the distance from where I am is now 12809 !
And I don't use any VPN ...

2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-6 06:08
Even the distance from where I am is now 12809  !
And I don't use any VPN ...

That's the total flight distance you have done in metres with your drone (or at least from the flights you have synched within the app).
2018-3-6
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

All the 'stickies' are designed to be removed. I missed that gimbal camera one on my MPP (red tab) at first and flew a few flights with it in place - but then after a few odd gimbal 'flick downs' I checked it and saw the little  sticky on the camera back - basically the 'tab' red or yellow means - remove me!
2018-3-7
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Separate to the 'sticky tab' question, the 'jerkiness' in your pan is expected due to the compression regime the Mavic camera uses to keep the bit rate down to 60mbs. The more detail and high contrast in a scene the stronger the visual effect. One way to reduce it, is to use lower the shutter speed (1/50th sec) - usually done by using an ND filter - to increase motion blur.
2018-3-7
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-3-7 16:04
Separate to the 'sticky tab' question, the 'jerkiness' in your pan is expected due to the compression regime the Mavic camera uses to keep the bit rate down to 60mbs. The more detail and high contrast in a scene the stronger the visual effect. One way to reduce it, is to use lower the shutter speed (1/50th sec) - usually done by using an ND filter - to increase motion blur.

Thanks for your answer.
What you're talking about is maybe related to what is called "judder", but I don't think my jerkiness has anything to do with either judder or improper shutter speed.
As you can see on the following video, the jerkiness still shows on a "proper" shutter speed (shutter value being twice the FPS value) :

2018-3-7
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I think what you're seeing is the result of the low framerate (probably 24 or 25fps) and a very bright environment that is causing the Mavic to run a very fast shutter speed.  with 25fps and shutter speeds faster than 1/50th of a second (50 in the shutter speed setting) will make the effect worse the further above 1/50th you get.   so if you get up to like a 200 or 400 shutter speed, what you end up with is like a flip-book effect with 25 still images per second rather than a smooth video.  

I have a hard time feeling bad for you in that city though, my wife and I were there last August.  I didn't fly my spark though as I thought the whole city was a no-fly zone but I would have loved to.  

2018-3-7
Use props
ym58
lvl.3

France

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-3-7 22:42
I think what you're seeing is the result of the low framerate (probably 24 or 25fps) and a very bright environment that is causing the Mavic to run a very fast shutter speed.  with 25fps and shutter speeds faster than 1/50th of a second (50 in the shutter speed setting) will make the effect worse the further above 1/50th you get.   so if you get up to like a 200 or 400 shutter speed, what you end up with is like a flip-book effect with 25 still images per second rather than a smooth video.  

I have a hard time feeling bad for you in that city though, my wife and I were there last August.  I didn't fly my spark though as I thought the whole city was a no-fly zone but I would have loved to.

I agree with the principles you explained as a general rule of thumb for aerial video shootings (25fps:1/50th - 30fps-1/60th etc ...).
***HOWEVER***, how to explain the jerkiness effect that one can see on the latest video (the one in the bedroom) ?
As you can see, this video has different sections with slow shutter speeds and the jerk is still visible, whatever the speed ...
---
Paris is beautiful, agreed ... but living there and bearing locales is a pain in the *** believe me, I prefer Texas clear skies !
2018-3-8
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
United States

ym58 Posted at 2018-3-8 01:00
I agree with the principles you explained as a general rule of thumb for aerial video shootings (25fps:1/50th - 30fps-1/60th etc ...).
***HOWEVER***, how to explain the jerkiness effect that one can see on the latest video (the one in the bedroom) ?
As you can see, this video has different sections with slow shutter speeds and the jerk is still visible, whatever the speed ...

Are you turning the mavic or are you panning the rudder with the mavic on the stool?  try turning on "enable gimbal synchronized pan follow" in the gimbal advanced settings, and see if that improves it.  

looks like you're almost out of Woodford Reserve there.  Is that easy to get in France?
2018-3-8
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My Platinum was also manufactured 11/2017 and it has a red tab. I personally believe the tab is there to assist the removal of that sticker, and I believe the sticker was there to protect the gimbal from rubbing. My logic is if the sticker was meant to stay then it makes no sense for it to have a pull tab. They could simply put the yellow/red marking on the sticker for identification purposes.
2018-3-8
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

the sticker can remain on or be removed - it may serve some purpose along the production line but otherwise is redundant. my gimbal was recently replaced and has the sticker on - my agent says it can stay on or i can take it off, makes no difference - however if it is or if you thing it has impact on performance of gimbal yaw then removing it is not an issue and you should do that to eliminate possibilities
2018-3-8
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-3-8 11:34
Are you turning the mavic or are you panning the rudder with the mavic on the stool?  try turning on "enable gimbal synchronized pan follow" in the gimbal advanced settings, and see if that improves it.  

looks like you're almost out of Woodford Reserve there.  Is that easy to get in France?

For the purpose of the bedroom footage, the Mavic is in a "as if flying" state with engines rotating and hovering (to a GO4 standpoint).
This way it's quite easy to be home but to be still able to simulate a hovering flight with a yaw (rudder) movement.
Of course, I've tried the option you mentioned at the first place but to no avail, it does not change anything ... I think this option is designed to smoothen the start and/or end of a yaw movement but has no longer any effect "in the course" of the yaw movment.
I am not quite sure if I made myself clear ...
(I probably have to refill my Bourbon ...)
2018-3-8
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
United States

fans555d37eb Posted at 2018-3-8 12:49
For the purpose of the bedroom footage, the Mavic is in a "as if flying" state with engines rotating and hovering (to a GO4 standpoint).
This way it's quite easy to be home but to be still able to simulate a hovering flight with a yaw (rudder) movement.
Of course, I've tried the option you mentioned at the first place but to no avail, it does not change anything ... I think this option is designed to smoothen the start and/or end of a yaw movement but has no longer any effect "in the course" of the yaw movment.

I could see the mavic in the mirror so I couldn't tell if it was rotating or just the camera.  If you move the gimbal by hand (with everything off!) does that cable hang up as it rotates?  doesn't take much force to throw things off.  
2018-3-8
Use props
fans555d37eb
lvl.1
France

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-3-8 13:01
I could see the mavic in the mirror so I couldn't tell if it was rotating or just the camera.  If you move the gimbal by hand (with everything off!) does that cable hang up as it rotates?  doesn't take much force to throw things off.

If your question is if the wires beam catches on the cap's edge (see pic below) when I move the gimbal manually, the answer is no (well, not "SO").
There is still a little space (2/100th of an inch above and 5/100th below) for the beam to rotate freely within the gap.
I would like to make further tests WITHOUT the cap, but I don't know if the cap is held only by the two  screws that you can see on the picture ...
2018-3-9
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ym58 Posted at 2018-3-8 01:00
***HOWEVER***, how to explain the jerkiness effect that one can see on the latest video (the one in the bedroom) ?

I think its just the limitation of 60mbs data rate off the back of the imaging chip. The higher the local contrast the more data has to be transmitted to the compress chip. In the 120 shutter speed you can even see the rolling shutter effect on the fast pan section. Unfortunately I don't think the data rate limitation can be worked around by shooting at a lower resolution either - I think it just crops out from the full 4K.
2018-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules