Preventive Maintenance Question
689 8 2018-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Sometime its unavoidable to fly in a dusty area like a contruction site I use a pad.
With so many possiblities with this new drone the mavic air I am sure there will be dust build up inside just from flying.
I keep a can of air with me but thats not going to stop a build up inside around the fan.
Is there away to remove the top to do a hard cleaning of the fan this drone gets warm after a long flight
and without the fan and good air flow I see bad things happening.
Maybe some sort of prefilter.

Thanks
Rudy

2018-3-6
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Excellent question I never thought of it. But I can remember what damage dust can do to a non-flying laptop. Hope someone can answer this.
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Technically you can do it quite easily (see below video from min 5:50), but formally you would lose your warranty by doing it yourself. And I wonder if dust will be a big issue in real life operation.

2018-3-6
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Wachtberger,
That's a big help even though I didn't understand one word he said the visual is very informative.
I don't think it needs done a lot but maybe at the end of every season.
Thanks again
Rudy
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As Wachtberger mentioned, it is not recommended to take the Mavic Air apart at your end, which may void the warranty. I'd suggest cleaning the drone regularly. There will be a reminder if something goes wrong.
2018-3-11
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

I think the issue here is that the design of the cooling fan has no filter to prevent debris from entering the drone

My own case is one where sand entered the drone and it led to a fan failure. The only internal moving part in the quad is the fan.  After the warranty expires it is relatively easy to remove debris by popping the top cover off

If the next revision was made with this in mind, that would help a lot

The only real preventative step would be a landing pad or hand catch / launch where you have questionable ground conditions
2018-3-11
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-11 00:31
As Wachtberger mentioned, it is not recommended to take the Mavic Air apart at your end, which may void the warranty. I'd suggest cleaning the drone regularly. There will be a reminder if something goes wrong.

DJI Susan
You said it will tell me if something is wrong. will it tell me if the fan is stopped working or some form of an cooling error.

Thanks for replying to this post.
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sky6105 Posted at 2018-3-11 13:49
DJI Susan
You said it will tell me if something is wrong. will it tell me if the fan is stopped working or some form of an cooling error.

Generally, the drone will do self-diagnosis once powered on. The damaged parts will be detected and corresponding messages will be prompted, please refer the instruction for further steps.
2018-3-13
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

The question then arises, what the method is after the warranty expires to fix the drone.  Will DJI still require a return or can we take it to a service centre to perform the work?
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules