Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Still No DLOG.... help DJI
4192 24 2018-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyris
Captain
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Still no Dlog on my inspire 2 since Dec, I have tried everything, when are we getting a new firmware update or app update?
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Skyris, the X5S and X7 are a little different, may I know which lens are you referring to?
For X5S, D-Log can only be selected in EI Mode, in Normal Mode, there is no D-Log can be selected, appreciate your understanding.
2018-3-6
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-6 23:26
Hi Skyris, the X5S and X7 are a little different, may I know which lens are you referring to?
For X5S, D-Log can only be selected in EI Mode, in Normal Mode, there is no D-Log can be selected, appreciate your understanding.

Not referring to a lens here, that was on another post where we had no help from DJI
With Dlog in normal mode there was a whole thread on this where everyone apart from me and another could get dlog working in normal mode, El was broken for Sd users...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128199-1-1.html

and

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=2#pid1123236

So Mindy you are saying now I have the x7 I cant get Dlog unless I buy the SSD and Prores/Raw that is not good or fair.

2018-3-6
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-6 23:26
For X5S, D-Log can only be selected in EI Mode, in Normal Mode, there is no D-Log can be selected, appreciate your understanding.

Actually this is not acceptable, Pretty much all the other platforms made by dji have dlog and you are telling me the dji inspire 2 with x7.. prob the most expensive cinema drone you have without the expensive ssd and licences cant have dlog..

I need this, this is part of my workflow recording dlog and slog...
I have seen problems with prores, purple frames and other issues with sloppy customer care from DJI which I am not ready to take on, especially when h265 looks great already. Just need the old DLog back....

Unbelievable....
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skyris Posted at 2018-3-7 01:21
Actually this is not acceptable, Pretty much all the other platforms made by dji have dlog and you are telling me the dji inspire 2 with x7.. prob the most expensive cinema drone you have without the expensive ssd and licences cant have dlog..

I need this, this is part of my workflow recording dlog and slog...

For X7, there is D-Log can be selected only in EI Mode.
For X5S, without SSD, there is still D-Log in SD card, please make sure you are running the latest DJI Go 4 APP.
2018-3-9
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I dont have dlog. Latest app. Deleted and reinstalled.
2018-3-10
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-9 23:26
For X7, there is D-Log can be selected only in EI Mode.
For X5S, without SSD, there is still D-Log in SD card, please make sure you are running the latest DJI Go 4 APP.

I though El mode is broken on SD
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skyris Posted at 2018-3-10 06:18
I dont have dlog. Latest app. Deleted and reinstalled.

Are the Inspire 2 and camera up to date? Could you please provide us the screenshot of the firmware version in About and the D-Log in Video Settings? I will help to confirm, please attach X5S, thank you.
2018-3-11
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-11 20:18
Are the Inspire 2 and camera up to date? Could you please provide us the screenshot of the firmware version in About and the D-Log in Video Settings? I will help to confirm, please attach X5S, thank you.

Hi Mindy, I have the x7 (no ssd just sd card) attached are the images you asked for. as far as I know the drone and all are up to date.
see the image, all I can select is dcinelike and normal

2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Skyris Posted at 2018-3-11 21:08
Hi Mindy, I have the x7 (no ssd just sd card) attached are the images you asked for. as far as I know the drone and all are up to date.
see the image, all I can select is dcinelike and normal

Thanks for your screenshot, currently for X7, there are no many different colors including D-Log unless in EI Mode, but we understand it might be not convenient for users without SSD card, I will report your need and concern to our engineers for attention, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2018-3-13
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.1

Hong Kong

The X7 comes out of box with the CineCore 2.1, whose D-Log design is targeted at recording as much as 15 stops of dynamic range in a 10-bit ProRes encoding. A bitrate of about 1 Gbps is needed to avoid compression artifacts with the refreshed D-Log and D-Gamut. The MicroSD supports only up to 100Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 predictive encoding. It is almost impossible to encode 15 EV dynamic range in 8 bits. The MicroSD cannot be used to record the same D-Log as in CINESSD. Compression artifacts unacceptable to professional works would be found if the MicroSD were used to record D-Log. The best profile to use without a CINESSD if you still want to have a bit headroom for the post is the D-Cinelike.
2018-3-19
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

charlesetischer Posted at 2018-3-19 23:01
The X7 comes out of box with the CineCore 2.1, whose D-Log design is targeted at recording as much as 15 stops of dynamic range in a 10-bit ProRes encoding. A bitrate of about 1 Gbps is needed to avoid compression artifacts with the refreshed D-Log and D-Gamut. The MicroSD supports only up to 100Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 predictive encoding. It is almost impossible to encode 15 EV dynamic range in 8 bits. The MicroSD cannot be used to record the same D-Log as in CINESSD. Compression artifacts unacceptable to professional works would be found if the MicroSD were used to record D-Log. The best profile to use without a CINESSD if you still want to have a bit headroom for the post is the D-Cinelike.

But why cant Dji give sd users the old Dlog. I have heard many people with the x5s being able to get this in previous threads...
2018-3-20
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

charlesetischer Posted at 2018-3-19 23:01
The X7 comes out of box with the CineCore 2.1, whose D-Log design is targeted at recording as much as 15 stops of dynamic range in a 10-bit ProRes encoding. A bitrate of about 1 Gbps is needed to avoid compression artifacts with the refreshed D-Log and D-Gamut. The MicroSD supports only up to 100Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 predictive encoding. It is almost impossible to encode 15 EV dynamic range in 8 bits. The MicroSD cannot be used to record the same D-Log as in CINESSD. Compression artifacts unacceptable to professional works would be found if the MicroSD were used to record D-Log. The best profile to use without a CINESSD if you still want to have a bit headroom for the post is the D-Cinelike.

Hi Charles. I believe you work at DJI. I agree that the current EI mode version of D-log is "no bueno" in 8 bit. Which makes it curious why DJI enabled  EI mode D-log on the SD card, when an SSD is inserted into the I2, seeing, as you say, it's impossible to make it work. I mean, It should be either one or the other, right?

I've been trying to tell skyris that he really doesn't want what he's asking for, because those that have D-log on the SD card, know that it's completely broken, and have absolutely no use for it...in fact...we have no use for any of the footage off the sd card when the SSD is recording EI mode...because the rec 709 is just as messed up. Are there any plans to make the footage on the SD card usable in anyway when recording EI mode to SSD? It seems odd to have a system that requires the SD card to be inserted in order to record on the SSD, but then. have the footage recorded to that SD card be essentially worthless.

As a professional, I appreciate the improvements made in cinecore 2.1, I really do, but it does seem odd that, pre EI mode, there was a d-log, and that it worked just fine on both cards. It seems that if you turn EI mode off with the handy go4 switch, there should be no reason why d-log can't exist as it did before.
2018-3-20
Use props
DJI_camera
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-3-20 11:50
Hi Charles. I believe you work at DJI. I agree that the current EI mode version of D-log is "no bueno" in 8 bit. Which makes it curious why DJI enabled  EI mode D-log on the SD card, when an SSD is inserted into the I2, seeing, as you say, it's impossible to make it work. I mean, It should be either one or the other, right?

I've been trying to tell skyris that he really doesn't want what he's asking for, because those that have D-log on the SD card, know that it's completely broken, and have absolutely no use for it...in fact...we have no use for any of the footage off the sd card when the SSD is recording EI mode...because the rec 709 is just as messed up. Are there any plans to make the footage on the SD card usable in anyway when recording EI mode to SSD? It seems odd to have a system that requires the SD card to be inserted in order to record on the SSD, but then. have the footage recorded to that SD card be essentially worthless.

Hi, as you said, the recording on the MicroSD is intended to be used as a preview or proxy and indeed, not to be used in the final production.

Nonetheless, I would like to let you know that there are still some improvements on the way. We'll reduce the false color in the shadows of the H.264 proxy in a future update. We also noticed that there is a need to record to CINESSD only, and we are discussing about this.
2018-3-20
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI_camera Posted at 2018-3-20 20:37
Hi, as you said, the recording on the MicroSD is intended to be used as a preview or proxy and indeed, not to be used in the final production.

Nonetheless, I would like to let you know that there are still some improvements on the way. We'll reduce the false color in the shadows of the H.264 proxy in a future update. We also noticed that there is a need to record to CINESSD only, and we are discussing about this.

Ha...ok...well I didn't say that the SD card was intended only as a preview or proxy, it certainly hasn't been in the past, and to those users who haven't purchased the SSD and licensing, EI mode ends up removing a feature (d-log) that has been there since launch, and is included in the marketing. I think DJI needs to Buck up and return that feature to those users (and...The fact that the "new sd card preview/proxy" feature (as you describe it) results in a horribly rendered scene for SSD user is a bit of a paradox)

And, for the professional SSD user with PR and raw licenses... how about a return of the rainbow box rec709 LUT that existed prior to Ei mode. It was a functional tool that has been replaced by, well no tool at all.

Thanks for your input here. The natives are restless. The last FW update left us with a great new camera, log gamma, and color response (so props for that) but also a rather large list of problems from sd d-log to 'enhanced yaw drift" and more. It's going on 5 months now, with no correction.
2018-3-22
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

we need answers
2018-3-22
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr. Skyris...I know your fixated on D-log..but have you given the newer implementation of D-cinelike a go...its pretty damn good, plenty flat, and a huge improvement over the d-log that is currently available to the SD card on SSD owners machines. I know there's a rumor going around that D-log has more dynamic range than D-cinelike...but it's really not true (it's kinda true, but not as much difference as you'd think). For an 8 bit codec, which is all the SD card is going to ever have, linear encoding is generally a better approach, as the compression in highlights and shadows that you'd have to do to make the footage look normal, is already there.

I'll bet if you lowered the contrast on D-cinelike you'd end up with something pretty damn close to the old d-log...(remember EI mode d-log is simply never going to work in 8 bit and Old D-log wasn't a true log gamma, it was just flat..). and I bet you that with a LC version of D-cinelike, you're missing d-log in name only.
2018-3-22
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-3-22 15:32
Mr. Skyris...I know your fixated on D-log..but have you given the newer implementation of D-cinelike a go...its pretty damn good, plenty flat, and a huge improvement over the d-log that is currently available to the SD card on SSD owners machines. I know there's a rumor going around that D-log has more dynamic range than D-cinelike...but it's really not true (it's kinda true, but not as much difference as you'd think). For an 8 bit codec, which is all the SD card is going to ever have, linear encoding is generally a better approach, as the compression in highlights and shadows that you'd have to do to make the footage look normal, is already there.

I'll bet if you lowered the contrast on D-cinelike you'd end up with something pretty damn close to the old d-log...(remember EI mode d-log is simply never going to work in 8 bit and Old D-log wasn't a true log gamma, it was just flat..). and I bet you that with a LC version of D-cinelike, you're missing d-log in name only.

Hi Barry I use D'Cinelike all the time, dlog used in high contrast .
Its not the point...I am just disappointed with dji, Point of interest, dlog...  I have purchased the premium package apart from the ssd.. they are putting mavic air a priority before fixing the issues for professionals.. people who use their equipment for work.
2018-3-22
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

well if you have the premium package...maybe just spend the 300 clams on the 120g SSD and move on with your life. Frankly, if you care....I mean really care ...about d-log...then you should want the pro-res. 'Tis a completely different animal in so many ways. Beating your head against a wall may feel like the right thing to do...but life is short.

Again, I think if you turn the contrast down on D-cinelike, you are getting something extremely close to the d-log you lost...just put a piece of tape on your monitor over the d-cinelike that says DLOG on it.  :-)
2018-3-22
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I hear you Barry, I would love to have prores but to outlay more money on DJI products especially $519 on a 120bg card I don't think so, well not at this time (plus I would go 240gb anyway to get 5.2k).. I have heard of people with purple frames in prores and DJI have been pretty slack helping them out.  making them BETA testers.
I just want what we had with the drone last year.. plus the POI that has been promised since we bought the machines.. anyway I am writing on this forum hoping to push DJI to fix these issues.. they need pushing.
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI_camera
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-3-22 07:17
Ha...ok...well I didn't say that the SD card was intended only as a preview or proxy, it certainly hasn't been in the past, and to those users who haven't purchased the SSD and licensing, EI mode ends up removing a feature (d-log) that has been there since launch, and is included in the marketing. I think DJI needs to Buck up and return that feature to those users (and...The fact that the "new sd card preview/proxy" feature (as you describe it) results in a horribly rendered scene for SSD user is a bit of a paradox)

And, for the professional SSD user with PR and raw licenses... how about a return of the rainbow box rec709 LUT that existed prior to Ei mode. It was a functional tool that has been replaced by, well no tool at all.

Sorry for misunderstanding and thank you all for the comments.

To clarify, we didn't remove the D-Log on X5s for non-CINESSD users. On X7, we did not allow D-Log H.264  for non-CINESSD shooters from the very beginning of the launch because there are strong concerns about the image quality of such format we wanted to avoid the users shooting in unusable format as far as possible.

We received feedback asking for adding non-EI mode D-Log feature to X7 and we are considering that. Please rest assured that professional camera is one of the fields we are working hard in and we are seriously listening to the voices and needs of professional  photographers/cinematographers.
2018-4-3
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-3-22 15:32
Mr. Skyris...I know your fixated on D-log..but have you given the newer implementation of D-cinelike a go...its pretty damn good, plenty flat, and a huge improvement over the d-log that is currently available to the SD card on SSD owners machines. I know there's a rumor going around that D-log has more dynamic range than D-cinelike...but it's really not true (it's kinda true, but not as much difference as you'd think). For an 8 bit codec, which is all the SD card is going to ever have, linear encoding is generally a better approach, as the compression in highlights and shadows that you'd have to do to make the footage look normal, is already there.

I'll bet if you lowered the contrast on D-cinelike you'd end up with something pretty damn close to the old d-log...(remember EI mode d-log is simply never going to work in 8 bit and Old D-log wasn't a true log gamma, it was just flat..). and I bet you that with a LC version of D-cinelike, you're missing d-log in name only.

Hi Guys .. I agree with both of you. Barry and Skyris. Skyris is right about DLog (X5s, MicroSD, h264) being good last year. I've got some brilliant footage I took in the summer. OK may not hold up to pro scrutiny but good enough for me. We don't get a lot of clear blue sky days over here so 8bit banding was never an issue.  But .. I get Barrys' point. I've been experimenting with cranking the saturation and contrast down on the P4P with DCinelike and can get it almost old DLog flat. When I started out with the Mavic I used Art a lot. Still looks good.
2018-4-3
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI_camera Posted at 2018-4-3 01:21
Sorry for misunderstanding and thank you all for the comments.

To clarify, we didn't remove the D-Log on X5s for non-CINESSD users. On X7, we did not allow D-Log H.264  for non-CINESSD shooters from the very beginning of the launch because there are strong concerns about the image quality of such format we wanted to avoid the users shooting in unusable format as far as possible.

Interesting. I did not know about the x5s. So, without the SSD installed, using the X5s, you have access to D-log in normal, or EI mode or both?

Also, regarding the go4 rec709 LUT view...will that be returning? It was such a valuable feature.
2018-4-3
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-4-3 05:55
Interesting. I did not know about the x5s. So, without the SSD installed, using the X5s, you have access to D-log in normal, or EI mode or both?

Also, regarding the go4 rec709 LUT view...will that be returning? It was such a valuable feature.

After a lot of installing and reinstalling I've got D-Log available in Normal. (MicroSD/X5s/h264/Ipad4mini). Others haven't managed to get it showing up as an option. I suspect that's more to do with which tablet and version of Go4 is used.  DLog h264 is definitely not right though. Strange clipping going on. (I know ... I know ...  I shouldn't expect DLog to work .. .8bit ... 100mb ... Etc. Etc)
2018-4-5
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-4-5 01:42
After a lot of installing and reinstalling I've got D-Log available in Normal. (MicroSD/X5s/h264/Ipad4mini). Others haven't managed to get it showing up as an option. I suspect that's more to do with which tablet and version of Go4 is used.  DLog h264 is definitely not right though. Strange clipping going on. (I know ... I know ...  I shouldn't expect DLog to work .. .8bit ... 100mb ... Etc. Etc)

well...It should work...It used to work...Interesting that you've got it working in Normal mode...I'm not sure about that ( I've seen settings "stick" in go4 before --if "normal D-log" looks like "EI mode D-log (like really bad, man)" then it's not normal, it's EI, and you'll be well advised to not use it.

2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules