How accurate is your RTH???
3168 17 2018-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I have been practicing my RTH recently and find that the accuracy varies...I don't know why...maybe you do???   I seldom get HP recorded until about two feet into the takeoff, no matter how long I wait on the ground. This has been the case since I got the drone 8 months ago.  I usually have 14+ satellites before launch.  I launch, get the HP recorded, climb to >7 meters and stabilize to let the Vision System do its thing for Precision Landing (pg 16, owners manual).  I fly out greater than 20 meters and do the RTH.  Spark climbs to RTH altitude, flies back to a point over the HP, descends, and then one of two things happens: 1) it continues to descend and land anywhere within a 3 meter radius of the HP, or 2) about 4-5 meters above the ground there is a correction (I assume this is Precision Landing) and it flies and lands within 1 meter of HP (usually closer).  I always ensure I takeoff on a surface that is varied without pattern.  Anyone else experience varied success with RTH accuracy.  The reason I ask is that I do a lot of trail launches both in forest and rocky hillsides where I need an accurate RTH if I happen to lose sight of my drone.  Thanks
2018-3-6
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

It is pretty accurate but I usually use it when I’m either too lazy or I’m lost. I let it take over until I know where the bird is and take over.
2018-3-6
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Mine is pretty accurate but what Ive noticed is that for precision landing to work, it has to be on the ground and you have to use the automatic take off and not the 2 sticks down (manual takeoff) and when it does work which is pretty much always, it lands within 15 cm of takeoff point
2018-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

RTH is a fail safe.  I will use it when my poor piloting/planning causes me to lose link with the Spark.  Until then I guess it is accurate enough.

RTH is not a landing method where the pilot leaves control of the aircraft and goes to refresh his beer while the autolanding does its thing.  Every one of those that ends in a tree or the Spark heading off cross country have a certain entertainment factor for me.
2018-3-6
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

Isn't it supposed to look at the ground a few feet up before it sets a home point?   
2018-3-6
Use props
krisp-spark
lvl.4
Australia

Global Positioning System (GPS) for civilian use has accuracy of about 5 meters horizontally, plus some devices have accuracy only 95%. Both these factors can contribute to the reason why Spark doesn't land exactly at the same spot. Devices without any form of correction are only accurate by 15 meters.
(That's just in case if Spark is using only GPS for RTH procedures, I don't actually know if it uses some other features to land).
2018-3-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I have had several very accurate RTHs with manual takeoff and sticks aft to start the motors so I don't think you have to auto takeoff.  But I will try the auto takeoff to see if it works better.  And I agree with Gunship9...I'd rather fly myself...but to be honest, on maybe 10% of my flights I lose sight of the drone...normally because of distance and looking down to ensure signal strength or checking for messages like Low Battery (because the audio warning is no longer available).  I then try to move the drone until I visually reacquire it or push the RTH which brings it back to where I can see/hear it and take over manually.
2018-3-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

krisp-spark Posted at 2018-3-6 17:05
Global Positioning System (GPS) for civilian use has accuracy of about 5 meters horizontally, plus some devices have accuracy only 95%. Both these factors can contribute to the reason why Spark doesn't land exactly at the same spot. Devices without any form of correction are only accurate by 15 meters.
(That's just in case if Spark is using only GPS for RTH procedures, I don't actually know if it uses some other features to land).

Yes...it also uses Precision Landing. See pg 16, Spark manual.
2018-3-6
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.3
Flight distance : 520512 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-6 16:54
RTH is a fail safe.  I will use it when my poor piloting/planning causes me to lose link with the Spark.  Until then I guess it is accurate enough.

RTH is not a landing method where the pilot leaves control of the aircraft and goes to refresh his beer while the autolanding does its thing.  Every one of those that ends in a tree or the Spark heading off cross country have a certain entertainment factor for me.

"RTH is not a landing method where the pilot leaves control of the aircraft and goes to refresh his beer while the autolanding does its thing. "

THIS.....is exactly what i use it for !!!
2018-3-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

chorn1966 Posted at 2018-3-7 07:51
"RTH is not a landing method where the pilot leaves control of the aircraft and goes to refresh his beer while the autolanding does its thing. "

THIS.....is exactly what i use it for !!!

LOL.  I wouldn't try that with my Spark.  I like it too much.  

Try it with a drone you don't value, like those last generation Mavic Pros sellers are dumping on the market.  No one cares if those fly away with their dangling balls/gimbal  
2018-3-7
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.3
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-7 08:00
LOL.  I wouldn't try that with my Spark.  I like it too much.  

Try it with a drone you don't value, like those last generation Mavic Pros sellers are dumping on the market.  No one cares if those fly away with their dangling balls/gimbal

Copy!
2018-3-7
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-6 16:54

RTH is not a landing method where the pilot leaves control of the aircraft and goes to refresh his beer while the autolanding does its thing.  Every one of those that ends in a tree or the Spark heading off cross country have a certain entertainment factor for me.

but what if i really need a fresh beer!??!! i know, i know - pre-flight checklist.
2018-3-7
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

only i can land right back on top of the little foam sparkvault that's waiting on the riverbank. makes me feel competent
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I've pushed Return To Home from about 1/2 a mile away and it landed on the same paver stone (if you don't know what that is, it's basically the same as a brick) that I took off from.  I was very impressed.  That being said, I rarely use this feature.
2018-3-7
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.3
United States

I have had a few landings that were spot on and some that are 3 feet away from its landing pad.  which was strange, my first outdoor flight it landed spot-on but after that it never was that accurate again. sometimes its close though.
2018-3-7
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

It is normal for it to take off before setting the home point.. It is waiting to get a picture of the ground below.    A few meters is all that GPS is accurate to so a RTH withing that distance is pretty good.  You need to have a very good scene for the bottom camera to see for very precise RTH.   Grass or plain paving will not work.  The only time I have had a perfect return was (like someone said above) on brick paver stones that also had some benches and tables nearby so that the spark could 'see' its position.  If in doubt, don't let the spark land itself  (if there is danger that it will land in a bad spot).  Let RTH get it close then land it yourself.
2018-3-7
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.3
Flight distance : 361552 ft
United States

As a beginner, one of the first things I did was test RTH with scenarios using RC/phone and just phone/Ipad (also changing some settings around). It has been very accurate every time I tried and tested (furthest from takeoff spot was two feet). Once, I lost total control and connection (using RC with iPhone), quite nerve racking (not sure what happened) but after a few seconds, RTH turned over and flew my Spark back home (I did not cancel but let it RTH). I always record home point twice (once on ground through app and just after takeoff, it registers while hovering). I rather fly manual though.... but enjoy the RTH feature. Definitely read and research RTH to understand functionality and do your own tests in line of sight of course. You will be happy you did, at least I was.
2018-3-7
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4
United States

Mine has never been off more than 2ft and I'd say 80 to 90 percent are within 6 to 8 inches. As Mr Simpson said above, most of the time mine would land on the same "stone" it took off from.
2018-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules