Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Almost Lost My Drone FOREVER today..!
1321 28 2018-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSupremacy
Captain
Flight distance : 2060915 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Woah, that was stressful.

I almost had a flyaway today due to insanely high wind gusts and some signal interference problems with my Mavic Air.
Luckily, I managed to manually fly it back to me and save it. Hope this video helps at least one other person who encounters similar situation.

Here's the full story:

Oh, and sorry for the terrible wind noise, I already had a dead cat on top of my microphone but it seems it was worthless.

2018-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lucky escape Mike, good job I think many would have given up, one thing you must watch out for flying over forests low to the trees is always going to effect signal.
Thanks for putting up your video your honesty and your sound advice.
Good Luck...
2018-3-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good post!         
2018-3-7
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes a good recovery, well done for putting this up. Look forward to your initial intention showing your thoughts on the ND filters  
2018-3-7
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-7 08:54
Lucky escape Mike, good job I think many would have given up, one thing you must watch out for flying over forests low to the trees is always going to effect signal.
Thanks for putting up your video your honesty and your sound advice.
Good Luck...

Thanks, much appreciated!
2018-3-7
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-7 09:13
Yes a good recovery, well done for putting this up. Look forward to your initial intention showing your thoughts on the ND filters

Haha thank you! It's coming soon, I just have to find a better filming place now
2018-3-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am very happy to see that all has ended well and thank you very much for sharing this important lesson! Looking forward to your next video.
2018-3-7
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Mike. If the wind in your video was blowing that hard I can see why the drone stopped in mid flight.

Had the same problem once. Tried to fly between some trees that were somewhat in a depression. Had no wind at the time and then had gusts from nowhere. It was scary!

Glad to see you landed safely. For me I did a quick landing that was only 100 feet from takeoff.
2018-3-7
Use props
mlamb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

Not to be negative, but I've watched tutorials that were much more informative that were half of the length of this video.  9 minutes is just way too long for the message here.  I must confess I only watched about 2/3 of the video.
2018-3-7
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

mlamb Posted at 2018-3-7 10:06
Not to be negative, but I've watched tutorials that were much more informative that were half of the length of this video.  9 minutes is just way too long for the message here.  I must confess I only watched about 2/3 of the video.

No worries bud, I recorded the whole footage immediately after having a stressful situation with the drone so I might have still been a bit too excited/emotional and I tend to speak a lot in those situations I'll try to keep it shorter next time.
2018-3-7
Use props
Wyke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Lucky escape but, I could hear the wind and see the trees blowing. That plus UAV Forecast telling you not to fly?
2018-3-7
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

good to hear You were able to get it back but that wind was just overkill, looking @ trees it was way too much
(and ye, vid also too long )
looking forward to You filter test!
2018-3-7
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Mike
Really sorry you had that scare, but glad you got control of it again.
In my wind tests, and the long range tests I did, the wind was easily over 25 mph or 40 kph, and the AIR handled it fine.  In your video, you can see the trees are blowing but you not that much; it doesn't look like a full on gale. I do wonder if this was more Aircraft Interference, maybe from the power lines you were flying over, or the TV transmitter messing with your compass.
I have found the AIR extremely good at flying in strong winds, so maybe do a test and try flying on a windy day again, but on open fields, so you can land quickly if it starts being blown away.
Happy flying fella
Ian
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great to hear you were able to get it back and there was no damage on the drone. I enjoy your clips very much
2018-3-7
Use props
ibx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

i enjoyed this post, thanks Mike! also glad to see you didnt loose the drone!
2018-3-7
Use props
Brad Bilger
Captain
Flight distance : 14764163 ft
United States

What I'm more impressed about is you going online, and admitting that you made a mistake.  THAT is something that I respect.  Congratulations on landing your drone safely, and in one piece.  And yes, I've been there.  It's a hard lesson to learn, but one that will be remembered longer than one that you read in a book.  
2018-3-7
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Glad to see you got it back but gosh those landing gear are so ugly....
2018-3-7
Use props
mlamb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

In this situation, would it be advisable to Land the AC asap, or at least drop the altitude to attempt to get under the wind?
2018-3-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Watch out for dropping so low that your connection is affected.  Don't forget that trees/vegetation absorb signals, thereby softening your range.  Large leaf vegetation is even worse.
2018-3-7
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Thanks for the heads up, comments and support everyone! You've made my day
2018-3-8
Use props
RjMllr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

Great recovery. Glad to know that you didn't lose your MA
2018-3-28
Use props
fansaf90809b
lvl.1

Wind non existent? Nah bro that is windy. If you jacked that drone up 30m that would be brutal. Rule 1 is never fly in high winds. You can, but fly always are super common
2018-3-28
Use props
fansaf90809b
lvl.1

Look at the trees at 4:45. I’d guess the wind well over 30m/s
2018-3-28
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Wow it is good you never just gave up and kept fighting.  Luckily the wind broke at the end with enough battery to safely land it.  I am sure the MA was also stressing very bad and is glad to be back in your possession.  Yeah anytime I have wind over 10mph I am not flying.  
2018-3-28
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

SparksBird Posted at 2018-3-28 19:26
Wow it is good you never just gave up and kept fighting.  Luckily the wind broke at the end with enough battery to safely land it.  I am sure the MA was also stressing very bad and is glad to be back in your possession.  Yeah anytime I have wind over 10mph I am not flying.

I'm never giving up on my drone until I see it crashed on the ground
But yeah, the wind got the best of me this time, I've learned my lesson : )
2018-3-28
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

DroneSupremacy Posted at 2018-3-28 23:47
I'm never giving up on my drone until I see it crashed on the ground  
But yeah, the wind got the best of me this time, I've learned my lesson : )

I had a similar situation but with my first drone being a Bugs B2W.  Had only about a week so very new and decided to take it up and out with winds being 20-30mph.  I took it out pretty far and well trying to bring it in it just never did and never did find it.  Luckily it was not with a DJI Mavic though and I sure learned my lesson so by the time I got my MP I sure will never do that.
2018-3-29
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

One nice history to tell! Glad you managed to recover it harmless!
2018-3-29
Use props
DroneSupremacy
Captain
  • >>>
Bulgaria

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-3-29 07:41
One nice history to tell! Glad you managed to recover it harmless!

Absolutely, I'll remember that one lol
Thanks!
2018-3-30
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I had one myself... all my fault... I "landed" on a 120ft high tree, had to let the drone sleep overnight there until I find someone able to climb and recover it.... that's the short story version... never will forget the pain.... :-)
2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules