Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
(POLL) Do you think the point system should be REMOVED?
123Next >
3847 108 2018-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

So I've seen people posting ugly videos and photos. Like, real ugly. I even saw a guy post footage of a DRAIN PIPE and people called it "interesting".

When that happens, you're supposed to tell the guy HOW he can improve his footage and WHY it's wrong. You're supposed to help him.

Instead, the comments look a bit like this:

"nice"

"very good"

"congratz!"

These people are obviously commenting for points only and that's sad. How will newbies become better if there's no one to tell them that they made mistakes?

So my suggestion: we remove the point system. People are not doing it for the money, they just want to get more and more points for their satisfaction. You're supposed to be rewarded points for your CONTRIBUTION. How is "nice video!!!!" a contribution?

What do you think about this?

Single SelectVote, Total 139 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-3-7
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Unfortunately that's what people do; there's some real'er junk on the forum than the Drain Pipe...
2018-3-7
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I agree with Monkey007 ,

I do my best to give a positive feedback and I try to add  criticism  only for those posts that are relative to the forum and are asking for advise.

I know if I need advise, I hope I don't get the Drainpipe for an answer.

2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-7 12:33
Unfortunately that's what people do; there's some real'er junk on the forum than the Drain Pipe...

Yep. The bad thing with the Drain Pipe guy is that he insisted on saying that it was interesting and unique footage. He said that people should shoot Drain Pipes instead of Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls...
2018-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

One man's trash in another man's treasure.
2018-3-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I apparently have missed that "Drain pipe" but must admit, that I have used the term "interesting" on very few occasions in the past when I rather disliked the footage but did not want to offend the author. Writing this now, I have "burned" that approach forever and will have to be gently but firmly more clear with my wording in the future or just not respond at all ;-) But one thing I can say for sure, I am not posting comments for getting points, simply because I don't want to spend my time for that.
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-7 13:18
I apparently have missed that "Drain pipe" but must admit, that I have used the term "interesting" on very few occasions in the past when I rather disliked the footage but did not want to offend the author. Writing this now, I have "burned" that approach forever and will have to be gently but firmly more clear with my wording in the future or just not respond at all ;-) But one thing I can say for sure, I am not posting comments for getting points, simply because I don't want to spend my time for that.

I have no problem with the word "interesting", it's all about context haha. A drain pipe sure ain't interesting

You're a very helpful user, you're not part of the problem though. This thread is not directed towards useful users like you.
2018-3-7
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just did a search for "drainpipe" to see what video you guys were referring to with these comments as an example of a bad thread with fluff responses for points.  The only thread I found was this one:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-129080-1-1.html

Is this the one you are talking about?  

If so, I think you should go back and re-read the thread.   I see very little of the conversation that is providing fluff responses to indicate it is great videography only to get forum points.  Of the 33 posts, about half of them are replies by the original poster responding to comments from other posters.  A few of them are responses by DJI admins whom I'm assuming don't care about forum points for themselves.  Almost all the remaining responses were reasonable responses discussing prop wash, prop guards, and such.  I don't see much at all that could be considered false compliments in exchange for forum point like you are implying.  

Now, I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but I don't think that particular thread is a great example of what you have referred to nore a reason to be pushing for removing a feature of the website.  Just my personal opinion and thoughts.  
2018-3-7
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 13:26
I have no problem with the word "interesting", it's all about context haha. A drain pipe sure ain't interesting

You're a very helpful user, you're not part of the problem though. This thread is not directed towards useful users like you.

When I read that thread, my interpretation of the word "interesting" was more in line with Wachtberger's utilization than what I think your interpretation of it was...  I was thinking more along the lines of "well, that was unique" rather than "wow, that was awesome".
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-7 13:32
I just did a search for "drainpipe" to see what video you guys were referring to with these comments as an example of a bad thread with fluff responses for points.  The only thread I found was this one:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-129080-1-1.html

That's not the thread. This is 2 months old and actually interesting
2018-3-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 13:26

Thank you for your kind words to me but thanks to Kloo Gee I now remember that post very well and had also commented on it at the time. The OP was testing obstacle avoidance and signal stability in this pipe. In the end the experiment was not really successful and he has shared his experience with us in a very sympathetic way. I can only recommend you to go on his profile and check the other videos he is posting. He actually is a great and top quality contributor to this forum and I like him very much! He is by the way getting one "Digest" award after the other, well merited.
2018-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

If the person thinks the drainpipe is worth sharing then we should be open minded and give an honest appraisal.
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-7 13:44
Thank you for your kind words to me but thanks to Kloo Gee I now remember that post very well and had also commented on it at the time. The OP was testing obstacle avoidance and signal stability in this pipe. In the end the experiment was not really successful and he has shared his experience with us in a very sympathetic way. I can only recommend you to go on his profile and check the other videos he is posting. He actually is a great and top quality contributor to this forum and I like him very much! He is by the way getting one "Digest" award after the other, well merited.

That's not the thread though.  Why would I talk about a thread thats 2 months old?
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-7 13:48
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

This thread has become about the drain pipe even though this drain pipe was just an example. Can we stay on topic for the love of what is holy...
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-7 13:37
When I read that thread, my interpretation of the word "interesting" was more in line with Wachtberger's utilization than what I think your interpretation of it was...  I was thinking more along the lines of "well, that was unique" rather than "wow, that was awesome".

We're talking about 2 different threads.
2018-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 13:53
This thread has become about the drain pipe even though this drain pipe was just an example. Can we stay on topic for the love of what is holy...

The thread needs a focus point, the drainpipe is a good one, I’m thinking if there is some way I could go out and film some drainpipes and make it interesting, maybe dji grace will run a drainpipe competition. Lol....
2018-3-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 13:53
This thread has become about the drain pipe even though this drain pipe was just an example. Can we stay on topic for the love of what is holy...

Ha, we won't let you out of this so easily ;-) It was you who gave the drainpipe example and now I am going to happily take up the indeed interesting challenge that hallmark007 has just opened: We do a drainpipe competition with hopefully interesting footage as result :-) Great idea!
2018-3-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the point system is in place to show how much a member has contributed to the forum, to encourage interaction in the community and for DJI to compliment forum members with a monetary reward - that is all great IMO. That said, I can take my drone out for the morning, take loads of stills, come home, edit them and post them on here hours later and get the same points as someone who replies 'Nice' - so whilst I like the fact we have a point system I agree that it needs to be aligned more with the content. Perhaps 1 point for every ten words written in a reply but then it becomes difficult and a bit OTT. I too am guilty of replying with 'interesting' or 'well done' as many are but when I've posted an example of my work I appreciate someone saying 'well done' - it's encouraging to do more. From my perspective, it is not my place to tell a person what to record, what subject to photograph and which camera profiles they should use to suit my taste. Everyone is different and has differing artistic preferences - one man's drain pipe is another's palace. It's my place to acknowledge that person's effort - even if I think it could be done better or should I say differently. If DJI wish to give points for that acknowledgement then fair play - I'd acknowledge anyway with or without those points.
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-7 13:58
The thread needs a focus point, the drainpipe is a good one, I’m thinking if there is some way I could go out and film some drainpipes and make it interesting, maybe dji grace will run a drainpipe competition. Lol....

To each their own. People use their drones in many different and creative ways I mean some carry bombs, other land on the White House's lawn, while some other people crash in the eye of a toddler. I never imagined someone would film a drain pipe I just don't see the point of it
2018-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 14:08
To each their own. People use their drones in many different and creative ways I mean some carry bombs, other land on the White House's lawn, while some other people crash in the eye of a toddler. I never imagined someone would film a drain pipe I just don't see the point of it

Only kidding, I agree with your point commenting for your own self interest is not what should be happening.
2018-3-7
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-3-7 14:04
I think the point system is in place to show how much a member has contributed to the forum, to encourage interaction in the community and for DJI to compliment forum members with a monetary award - that is all great IMO. That said, I can take my drone out for the morning, takes loads of stills, come home, edit them and post them on here hours later and get the same points as someone who replies 'Nice' - so whilst I like the fact we have a point system I agree that it needs to be aligned more with the content. Perhaps 1 point for every ten words written in a reply but then it becomes difficult and a bit OTT. I too am guilty of replying with 'interesting' or 'well done' as many are and when I've posted an example of my work I appreciate someone saying 'well done' - it's encouraging to do more. From my perspective, it is not my place to tell a person what to record, what subject to photograph and which camera profiles they should use to suit my taste. Everyone is different and has differing artistic preferences - one man's drain pipe is another's palace. It's my place to acknowledge that person's effort - even if I think it could be done better or should I say differently. If DJI wish to give points for that acknowledgement then fair play - I'd acknowledge anyway with or without those points.

Fully agree, well spoken!
2018-3-7
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it's ugly, tell him it's ugly. My most rewarding post was when I asked people for "REAL" criticize of an earlier video of mine. MAN! They tore me apart, but I used that knowledge to make my other videos better.
2018-3-7
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've made $80 by exchanging my DJI points for credit. I continue to create and post every day because of it.
2018-3-7
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Drain pipes may well be an acquired preference. There will always be a variety preference no matter the subject matter.
2018-3-7
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Interesting topic, I'll read it further but will not vote, as I was not aware of the point system (in my country there is no DJI so we are not eligible )
Just a word of caution - People are Imperfect and You better use to it and don't get mad, whatever the rules are there always certain individuals adapting and bending them in their favor, be true for Yourself and enjoy the community with the goods and the bads
2018-3-7
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I think that for the most part, people use the points system responsibly - it's a good way for DJI to give back to those who want to participate and be active members of the community. There will always be those who spam it, but i'd like to think that it could be a system where this minority don't spoil it for the rest of us; i don't spam threads to increase my points artificially, so why should i be punished because of those who do?

And as mentioned by others, what is interesting is subjective. I'm using Phantom drones for work, for inspecting river stopbanks, pump stations, and such, for getting footage that can be used to prosecute people who are breaking the law (like a guy burning tyres the other week, which is illegal here in NZ), so things like drainpipe inspections are interesting to me. I also enjoy the beautiful landscape and artistic photos and vids, which i will be getting into with my Mavic Air as i get more proficient at flying.

So yeah, that's pretty much my take on it all   
2018-3-7
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting.
2018-3-7
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... joking aside. I thought the DJI forum(s) already had a 'minimum words' filter, to garner points per comments ... but it seems not (referring to my previous comment) - or maybe that limit is only for level 1 commentators? Also there are the 'thumbs up/down' selectors for giving approval or not on submissions. What would be good is that the comment sections were of variable size and started with maybe just 2 lines as the default format - for those pithy one liners.
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-3-7 15:31
... joking aside. I thought the DJI forum(s) already had a 'minimum words' filter, to garner points per comments ... but it seems not (referring to my previous comment) - or maybe that limit is only for level 1 commentators?

I think there's a 10 words minimum limit.
2018-3-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-7 15:34
I think there's a 10 words minimum limit.

I think it is 10 characters.

And indeed, I do post 'great video' etc. a lot to give a compliment.
I like that people take the time to make and share footage with us and I enjoy watching it.
Every now and then I do give some of my opinion (like fast motion, over exposed etc.)
But not always
Only when the user asks for ways to improve I take some time to write down things I would do different.

And yes, I like the point system. Not that I have used it (the DJI store is way too expensive in NL and has high shipping cost, plus the conversion to EUR is not very good), but I will soon to buy some accessories.
2018-3-7
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I quite like the system. It’s an incentive to visit the forum, stay up to date with stuff and buy more DJI stuff. But I’ll admit that some video posts get a little repetitive
2018-3-7
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I believe that every single person that posted here has his own reason; because reason depends on how I see the world around me.
Someone’s trash should be someone’s treasure as @Ex Machina said.
I think that one “Nice video” reply can be more important to a pilot that took his time to share its experience with community, than a big text with criticisms.
And if a user uses the point system to gain points…it is his problem. He will sure, have his reasons. It is a pity, but we can’t rule everyone’s life or actions.
Let’s make our best and try to stimulate others to be as good as they can.
2018-3-8
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Giving a compliment and encouraging someone to continue their efforts is a valuable thing.
2018-3-8
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

4. Why would someone worry about how the points system works? (Check!)
2018-3-8
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-3-8 08:34
4. Why would someone worry about how the points system works? (Check!)

I am sorry, I don't understand your comment. If you are asking why we worry about the point system then it's because the system encourages people to make pointless comments.
2018-3-8
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-8 08:41
I am sorry, I don't understand your comment. If you are asking why we worry about the point system then it's because the system encourages people to make pointless comments.

They're being 'witty' and adding in a fourth option.

I do agree; there's a lot of utterly pointless comments where people are either trying to increase their rank or get credit.

My personal favourite is people who add generic compliments to awful videos and images who then receive thanks from the person and add a 'You're welcome'. It's not polite; it's annoying.
2018-3-9
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

How does the point system even work?  How do you know what the next level is or how far away you are from it?  I've looked but can seem to find it.
2018-3-9
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-7 14:04
I think the point system is in place to show how much a member has contributed to the forum, to encourage interaction in the community and for DJI to compliment forum members with a monetary reward - that is all great IMO. That said, I can take my drone out for the morning, take loads of stills, come home, edit them and post them on here hours later and get the same points as someone who replies 'Nice' - so whilst I like the fact we have a point system I agree that it needs to be aligned more with the content. Perhaps 1 point for every ten words written in a reply but then it becomes difficult and a bit OTT. I too am guilty of replying with 'interesting' or 'well done' as many are but when I've posted an example of my work I appreciate someone saying 'well done' - it's encouraging to do more. From my perspective, it is not my place to tell a person what to record, what subject to photograph and which camera profiles they should use to suit my taste. Everyone is different and has differing artistic preferences - one man's drain pipe is another's palace. It's my place to acknowledge that person's effort - even if I think it could be done better or should I say differently. If DJI wish to give points for that acknowledgement then fair play - I'd acknowledge anyway with or without those points.

I'm with Andy. Let a hundred roses bloom, let a thousand avatars contend.
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-3-9 05:46
I'm with Andy. Let a hundred roses bloom, let a thousand avatars contend.

And one long drain pipe Very poetic
2018-3-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I never look at points.  They mean nothing at all to me.  I don't know how they are acquired, or care.
2018-3-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules