Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone laws in Florida
7164 32 2018-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

Hi guys!
I will travel to Florida (Orlando, Miami and Keywest) this summer and will of course bring my mavic air. In Norway, the main rules for drone flight are:
- 5 km away from an airport
- Max 120 m up in the air
- 150m away from traffic and crowds

My impression is that drone rules in the United States are very strict compared to Norway. I wonder if it's possible to fly drone in Keywest and Orlando? What are the main rules? I was hoping to get a drone shot of the ocean road to Keywest.

2018-3-7
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be 5 Miles from an airport and below 400 feet AGL and you’ll be fine. It is against the rules to take off or land in a National Park but you can fly over National Park land.
2018-3-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

I flew a lot in Florida and the rules are pretty similar to Norway.

-5 miles instead of 5 kilometers

-max altitude of 120 meters or 400 feet, just like Norway.

-There's no distance that you must keep between your drone and people in the US. The actual law is that you cannot fly OVER people.

-You must register with the FAA. It costs 5 USD, but I don't think you should get it only for a short trip. The rule is not enforced and pretty much no cop even knows you need to register with the FAA.

-Don't fly in National Parks or National Monuments.

- Always keep LOS (line of sight). Pretty much nobody respects this law all the time but it is still a law.

And that's pretty much the most important ones. I've never had problems in the USA so this is not something to worry about. USA is not strict AT ALL compared to Canada...
2018-3-7
Use props
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

ok thanks guys! I'm guessing as long as I use common sense and follow these main rules when flying, it should be fine without any problems.
2018-3-7
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of Key West and Marathon will be in ATC airspace.  Just don't do anything stupid or fly too high and you'll be okay.  You will get some fantastic shots on the drive down from Key Largo.  The area south of Islamorada called Matecombie is my favorite scenic part of the that drive.  If you want good shots of the 7 mile bridge, go the west side, Marathon is on the east side, there are some parking areas right as you get off the bridge, good for launching.  you can also walk down the old 7 mile bridge at that point, no cars, just people fishing for a mile and launch from there.  have fun!!  Bolton
2018-3-7
Use props
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

Thanks for awesome tips! I checked google maps and this seems to be good spots for launching ! I can't wait to see the footage mavic air will produce on this awsome place ( used to snow and rain..)
2018-3-7
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

NordicMavicAIR Posted at 2018-3-7 13:11
ok thanks guys! I'm guessing as long as I use common sense and follow these main rules when flying, it should be fine without any problems.

Many areas of the Keys are Wildlife Sanctuaries, just watch where you take off from and you should be OK, especially stay away from any birds you may encounter, there are many Aviary enthusiasts and they take offense to tracking/following & harassing the airborne wildlife. I live in Daytona Beach area and have been to the Keys many,many times.

Here is a link to FWS ( Florida Wildlife Sanctuary's ) you can not take off or land in the areas shaded green.

US Wildlife Sanctuary's
2018-3-7
Use props
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

Tridiver Posted at 2018-3-7 13:53
All of Key West and Marathon will be in ATC airspace.  Just don't do anything stupid or fly too high and you'll be okay.  You will get some fantastic shots on the drive down from Key Largo.  The area south of Islamorada called Matecombie is my favorite scenic part of the that drive.  If you want good shots of the 7 mile bridge, go the west side, Marathon is on the east side, there are some parking areas right as you get off the bridge, good for launching.  you can also walk down the old 7 mile bridge at that point, no cars, just people fishing for a mile and launch from there.  have fun!!  Bolton

Thanks for awesome tips! I checked google maps and this seems to be good spots for launching ! I can't wait to see the footage mavic air will produce on this awsome place ( used to snow and rain..)
2018-3-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

The laws seem similar for United States compared to Norway.
2018-3-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-7 14:22
The laws seem similar for United States compared to Norway.

The main points:
-Fly below 400 feet altitude
-Line of sight
-Do not fly next to major airports
-Do not fly over Sports Stadiums
2018-3-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-7 14:23
The main points:
-Fly below 400 feet altitude
-Line of sight

You also may need to register your drone with the FAA?
2018-3-7
Use props
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-7 14:18
Many areas of the Keys are Wildlife Sanctuaries, just watch where you take off from and you should be OK, especially stay away from any birds you may encounter, there are many Aviary enthusiasts and they take offense to tracking/following & harassing the airborne wildlife. I live in Daytona Beach area and have been to the Keys many,many times.

Here is a link to FWS ( Florida Wildlife Sanctuary's ) you can not take off or land in the areas shaded green.

noted! I'm usually very careful about flying around birds ( almost lost my Spark to an eagle in Norway.. :0
2018-3-7
Use props
NordicMavicAIR
lvl.1

Norway

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-7 14:23
You also may need to register your drone with the FAA?

Thanks! Yeah, I think I will registre my drone
2018-3-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NordicMavicAIR Posted at 2018-3-7 14:29
Thanks! Yeah, I think I will registre my drone

Good glad I could help.
2018-3-7
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I also live in Florida and just started seeing brown plaques with a picture of a white drone saying no drones allowed.
It didn't take them long to start putting them up.
2018-3-8
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-3-8 01:49
I also live in Florida and just started seeing brown plaques with a picture of a white drone saying no drones allowed.
It didn't take them long to start putting them up.

Where did you see the signs. I live in the Tampa Bay area and have not seen any sign (yet).
2018-3-8
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Hell yea as others said above Florida is just a huge NFZ. Make sure to UNLOCK online before flying pretty much anywhere or you're gonna have a bad surprise.
2018-3-8
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Don't forget that there is a NFZ around Disney World ;)  Do not uspset the mouse !
2018-3-8
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-8 11:43
Where did you see the signs. I live in the Tampa Bay and have not seen any sign (yet).

Mostly all are state parks over here have them at least the 3 that I have been to.
2018-3-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

As for the brown signs with white drones on them, just don't fly a Phantom or any other WHITE drone from there.   
2018-3-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe I read somewhere you also cannot take off or land in a State Park, same as a National Park.
2018-3-8
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Also remember to be courteous.  If someone objects to where you're flying, try to stay friendly, explain that you're just doing your hobby, and perhaps land the quad and move to another location.  Not a law, but probably something we pilots should be doing in every country.
2018-3-8
Use props
VegasBobNoWay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138734 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is from the FAA To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
Register your model aircraft
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Never fly near other aircraft
Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
Never fly near emergency response efforts site.

2018-3-8
Use props
Parisi2274
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

I'm pretty sure you will not be allowed to fly over theme parks either, as I believe they are restricted airspace...
2018-3-8
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

If Trump is in town, there will be a NFZ over him while he is golfing. Fortunately, this only happens about 35 weeks a year, so you might be OK ;)
2018-3-8
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

VegasBobNoWay Posted at 2018-3-8 20:08
This is from the FAA To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY

I was in Clearwater Beach and you have to check if your flight is nautical or statute miles. When you notify the flight tower. Made no odds to me as the local tower understood I was a guy fly8ng a toy and having fun. If you are going to the US anytime in the next 3 years, it is worth registering.
2018-3-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How do you notify the tower? (is there a number to call or email or something?)
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-9 07:09
I was in Clearwater Beach and you have to check if your flight is nautical or statute miles. When you notify the flight tower. Made no odds to me as the local tower understood I was a guy fly8ng a toy and having fun. If you are going to the US anytime in the next 3 years, it is worth registering.

There is no airport around Clearwater Beach, but allot of tourists (especially now) which may be p*****st if you fly above them.
2018-3-9
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-9 08:34
There is no airport around Clearwater Beach, but allot of tourists (especially now) which may be p*****st if you fly above them.

2018-3-9
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-3-9 08:27
How do you notify the tower? (is there a number to call or email or something?)

You have to call.
The phone numbers are easy to find in application like AIRMAP ( available for Android and iOS )

IMG_0139.PNG
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sorry, I did not know this little local airfield is that close.
2018-3-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

PS013 Posted at 2018-3-9 08:45
You have to call.
The phone numbers are easy to find in application like AIRMAP ( available for Android and iOS )

Thanks! Airmap seems super helpful.
2018-3-11
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
United States

Airmap great tool to have.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now