DJI Go Drains my battery very fast
12249 38 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9a606a02
lvl.1
Turkey

Hi,

DJI Go drains my battery very fast. In example, last night I recorded 4-5 hyperlapse/timelapse videos which are 5 seconds long, and my phone is closed (Battery level was %75 before starting). Normally my battery goes 1 day long.. Are there anybody else have this problem ?

Do you have any suggestions for this problem ?
2018-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Same issue here.
What device are you using?
2018-3-8
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Confirm it by using a different phone.
2018-3-8
Use props
eMCeiSHeRe
lvl.1
Turkey

I am using Iphone 6S with IOS 11.2.6. DJI GO v3.1.28 (2861)

Because of this problem DJI GO becomes useless for me. I should use standard camera app or 3rd party apps like hyperlapse of instagram.

But I cannot use active track with these apps.

What should I do ?
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Osmo Mobile will cost about 3% battery level of your mobile phone in one minute, this is normal.
2018-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-8 23:41
Osmo Mobile will cost about 3% battery level of your mobile phone in one minute, this is normal.

I think (have not done the math yet) that with the latest iOS (11) it is much more.
Not only DJI Go btw, but a lot of apps consume more power.
I will try today.

Using iPhone SE btw
2018-3-9
Use props
eMCeiSHeRe
lvl.1
Turkey

Hi Mindy,

Thank you for your reply,

But as I said, my 75% level battery died after 10-12 minutes DJI GO usage.. My case seem like a bit different..

As Montfrooij said I will also try the consumption detailed this weekend.

It is looks like we should carry our powerbanks with us
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-9 01:46
I think (have not done the math yet) that with the latest iOS (11) it is much more.
Not only DJI Go btw, but a lot of apps consume more power.
I will try today.

Yes, you are right, with the Bluetooth turning on, the battery of the phone will be drained faster, not just DJI Go APP but also other apps.
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

eMCeiSHeRe Posted at 2018-3-9 02:12
Hi Mindy,

Thank you for your reply,

Just to verify, how is the weather in your position? For my iPhone, the battery drained super fast in Winter until I changed another battery, you may try another mobile device indoor to have a test.
2018-3-9
Use props
eMCeiSHeRe
lvl.1
Turkey

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-9 02:26
Just to verify, how is the weather in your position? For my iPhone, the battery drained super fast in Winter until I changed another battery, you may try another mobile device indoor to have a test.

The weather was fine, 7-8 C.

I cannot accept this excuse...

If it is so, remove Apple Iphone compability from your products !
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

eMCeiSHeRe Posted at 2018-3-9 02:40
The weather was fine, 7-8 C.

I cannot accept this excuse...

That is not what I mean, just take the temperature into consideration for a brief troubleshooting, hope you can try another mobile device to make a contrast.
2018-3-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-9 02:25
Yes, you are right, with the Bluetooth turning on, the battery of the phone will be drained faster, not just DJI Go APP but also other apps.

I think I need BT for the connection to Osmo Mobile.
But you are right.
I just tested for about 30 minutes full time shooting with DJI Go and Osmo Mobile.
100% => 69%
So 'just' 1,33% per minute.
What I did is putting it in airplane mode WITH bluetooth.
A lot of active track hyperlapses. (I think they consume less battery than regular camera work).
Some slow motion.
2018-3-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-8 23:41
Osmo Mobile will cost about 3% battery level of your mobile phone in one minute, this is normal.

How can 3% battery usage per minute be considered normal?
You are saying that a full battery would be totally depelated in 33 minutes?
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-15 12:52

Bluetooth is power-consuming, moreover, you are running DJI Go APP and Osmo Mobile and taking footage at the same time, this is normal, appreciate your understanding.
2018-3-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-15 12:52

Did you put it in airplane mode and switch BT on?
I managed to squeeze about 1,3% battery per minute.
2018-3-16
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Haven't had time to extensively test my OM2 yet.

However, I fly both a Phantom 3 and a Spark --   The P3 requires DJO Go,  and the Spark requires DJI Go 4.    Both drain my iPhone 6s battery very fast.   Especially as the battery got older.

At about 2.5 years of age, my iphone battery was draining very, very quickly.  More than the 3% per minute that was mentioned above.  It was to the point that I could only fly 1 full battery on my P3 before my iPhone died -- about 23 minutes.

However, I put a new battery in (paid a professional to do it).   After that,  the battery drain is slowed much more.   

I'll be using my new OM2 extensively over the next couple of weeks.   I'll report back on battery drain.

Sid
2018-3-16
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-16 00:32
Bluetooth is power-consuming, moreover, you are running DJI Go APP and Osmo Mobile and taking footage at the same time, this is normal, appreciate your understanding.

Bluetooth does not consume very much power and the OM2 has it's own battery.  DJI GO is what is consuming too much power.  Your engineers need to run some tests to see what they are doing wrong.
2018-3-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Are you running 4K?
I just did some more testing.
It consumes much more power in 4K
2018-3-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-16 21:13
Bluetooth does not consume very much power and the OM2 has it's own battery.  DJI GO is what is consuming too much power.  Your engineers need to run some tests to see what they are doing wrong.

It is not just the Go app.
All camera apps seem to consume (much) more power after iOS 11.
2018-3-27
Use props
Ebeard4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2619780 ft
United States

Bluetooth consumes LOTS of power. Test it.
2018-3-28
Use props
Ebeard4
lvl.2
United States

The fact that something is live feeding to your phone, being managed by your phone and possibly recorded to your phone is a huge drain. Bluetooth makes it worse. Especially, as was stated above, when your battery is old. If you have a 6s, it is over 3 yrs old. Generally speaking, phone batteries last an average of 2 yrs. I just personally replaced my 6’s battery with one on ifixit.com for $25. Works way better. Also, apple specifically slowed the performance on the iPhone 6 as the battery ‘ages’ to “save battery life span” Whether a lie or no, this could also cause a faster deterioration of charge.
If you won’t/can’t get an external power source e.g. power pack, then I would recommend replacing your battery. It’s not hard or expensive.
Also, apple will replace your iPhone 6 battery for $30, because of the outrage caused by the diminished processing speed. You have to be willing to travel to a store though... (maybe send it in? I don’t know)
2018-3-28
Use props
Ebeard4
lvl.2
United States

Ebeard4 Posted at 2018-3-28 10:32
The fact that something is live feeding to your phone, being managed by your phone and possibly recorded to your phone is a huge drain. Bluetooth makes it worse. Especially, as was stated above, when your battery is old. If you have a 6s, it is over 3 yrs old. Generally speaking, phone batteries last an average of 2 yrs. I just personally replaced my 6’s battery with one on ifixit.com for $25. Works way better. Also, apple specifically slowed the performance on the iPhone 6 as the battery ‘ages’ to “save battery life span” Whether a lie or no, this could also cause a faster deterioration of charge.
If you won’t/can’t get an external power source e.g. power pack, then I would recommend replacing your battery. It’s not hard or expensive.
Also, apple will replace your iPhone 6 battery for $30, because of the outrage caused by the diminished processing speed. You have to be willing to travel to a store though... (maybe send it in? I don’t know)

They should still improve the app.
2018-3-28
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ebeard4 Posted at 2018-3-28 10:20
Bluetooth consumes LOTS of power. Test it.

Live feeding to my phone?  What from the OM2 is live feeding to my phone.  There is only a BTLE connection which is sending control signals and not very often.
2018-3-28
Use props
benj4786
lvl.1
United States

Yes! I have a 1 year old iPhone SE that I use with my MA and Go4. I just got in from a flight and had to cut it short because my phone died while it was 400ft up! I started w 50% phone battery and it took all of 10 minutes to drain to shut down. DJI, what is going on?
2018-4-20
Use props
Garyl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49885 ft
Hong Kong

thx for suggestion

i can use iphone camera,then battery life normal

its a workaround now
2018-7-15
Use props
Sharky1
lvl.2

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-27 04:15
It is not just the Go app.
All camera apps seem to consume (much) more power after iOS 11.

I agree!   My iPod Touch went for ever on iOS 10...  on 11 it's short.  Just upgraded to iOS 12.. will advice..  I did purchase for $19 a portable battery with USB 1amp and 2amp plugs.. going to velcro it to the back of my iPod Touch while on the Osmo + gimbal.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-10-2
Use props
Sharky1
lvl.2

If you recently updated to iOS 11 and are draining fast, it is more likely iOS 11 than the DJI app.  https://www.iphonelife.com/conte ... longer-battery-life

I have to remember to turn off all my apps etc to get longer run time, however I did purchase small portable USB battery charger from amazon.com for $19 https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I will velcro to the back of my iOS device while mounted on Osmo + handle.   

I also just updated to iOS 12.. so hopefully battery management will be better under iOS 12 than iOS 11 was.  hope?
2018-10-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sharky1 Posted at 2018-10-2 14:45
I agree!   My iPod Touch went for ever on iOS 10...  on 11 it's short.  Just upgraded to iOS 12.. will advice..  I did purchase for $19 a portable battery with USB 1amp and 2amp plugs.. going to velcro it to the back of my iPod Touch while on the Osmo + gimbal.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T416MXU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have no issues right now.
2018-10-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

Think it as much as an Apple issue as a DJI issue. My iPhone 5 SE drains quite rapidly whenever I use my Osmo Mobile 2, but it is actuating the shutter / camera lots during the process and writing the images taken to memory. I always carry extra power banks with me, but remember that you can charge your iPhone from the port on the Osmo 2 Gimbal.Good luck,
Chris
2018-10-3
Use props
Sharky1
lvl.2

My boss picked up a competitor's model to the Osmo Mobile.  (quirky he says.. he wish he bought a DJI Mobile 2 for $20 more)  But their app also sucks the battery quickly.  The wifi, app, video feed and controlling the camera and gimble is very very very power intensive.    Has anyone used the DJI Crystal Sky tablet with external batteries?   I might go that route if I get into DJI drones or go with a Osmo Pro Raw.   
2018-10-20
Use props
Mollinedo
New
Bolivia

It definitely drains the battery very fast, but I believe it is rather "normal", as it is using BT and, in many cases WiFi at the same time.
However, I thought that was the whole idea of Osmo Mobile 2 enabling the USB in the back in order to charge your phone while you use the app, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but why not use the OM2's battery to keep our phone's charged? Just saying...
2018-10-22
Use props
fansd962ac4a
New
Czechia

To be honest, everything was written, BUT there are few important facts:

1. I launched DJI GO with 40% phone iPhone6 battery level and in 2 seconds the phone crashes! That´s not 3%per minute.
2.without the App is DJI OSMO 2  almost unusable(its features)
3. SW engineers has to improve the battery consumption
4. Charging port is fine, but it is not possible to charge while shooting

I am totally diagusted
2018-11-9
Use props
fansc452f5d7
New

United Kingdom

Been out this morning and have had the same issue. iPhone se  OSMO 2 and dji go. Battery power drops rapidly and iPhone crashes / shuts down at 10%. Haven’t even started recording. Had mavic air with me and thought I could charge off controller. Plugged in a low and behold 50% power on phone. This has happened a few times and it looks as if the dji go app is not working with iOS properly. I don’t believe this is an excessive power use issue.
2018-11-17
Use props
saahilfazil7
New
United Arab Emirates

Same thing happening with me right now, using the OM2 in my office (A/C is on) with an iPhone 7, and the phone is heating up when using the DJI GO app, which causes the battery to drain.

Charging the phone while using the OM2 is not feasible as the phone will have to be on portrait mode rather than landscape and moreover, the cable could tied up and things could get messy.

The app might be using too much power, which is why it's heating up, but DJI should fix that.
2018-11-22
Use props
fansc31be07d
New

United States

eMCeiSHeRe Posted at 2018-3-8 22:27
I am using Iphone 6S with IOS 11.2.6. DJI GO v3.1.28 (2861)

Because of this problem DJI GO becomes useless for me. I should use standard camera app or 3rd party apps like hyperlapse of instagram.

My iPhone 8+ battery drains in 20 minutes of using mavic2zoom
2019-3-7
Use props
Leong Rowland
New

Singapore

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-9 03:42
I think I need BT for the connection to Osmo Mobile.
But you are right.
I just tested for about 30 minutes full time shooting with DJI Go and Osmo Mobile.

May I know what's BT?
3-14 18:51
Use props
Leong Rowland
New

Singapore

I m using a sumsung phone. What's BT?
3-14 18:52
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Leong Rowland Posted at 3-14 18:52
I m using a sumsung phone. What's BT?

Bluetooth.
3-14 23:35
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansc31be07d Posted at 2019-3-7 09:33
My iPhone 8+ battery drains in 20 minutes of using mavic2zoom

You might be better off posting a new question in the Products section of this forum.
That will probably get you more helpful responses.
3-14 23:35
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules