Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compatible Controllers for Ryze Tello
12Next >
132971 49 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nofloat
lvl.1

United States

I've ordered the Tello a couple days ago and am anxiously awaiting shipment.  

For those who have recieved theirs, what BT controller are you using...what features did you perfer?

The Tello will be my sons and my first drone.  I chose the Tello due to the "Scratch" coding feature.  What other recommendations overall do you have for a first time flyer?
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. I would recommend users contact the support of Tello for better assistance: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-3-8
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

I believe everyone at this point is still a beginner at the Tello mate
2018-3-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

EDIT: Gamesir T1s does not work

I'm also looking forward to the Scratch coding. Looks very fun.
2018-3-8
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scratch coding? please explain.
2018-3-8
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-3-8 19:29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)
2018-3-8
Use props
nofloat
lvl.1

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-3-8 19:29

I'm just repeating what I've read/heard thusfar...

Scratch is a MIT sourced coding program that is geared towards younger children.  I'm sure the code blocks are limited to flips and specific patterns, but I can't verify.

I've been looking for a medium to begin to expose my son to coding, and this seems like the perfect platform.

https://scratch.mit.edu/
2018-3-9
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

nofloat Posted at 2018-3-9 07:25

Scratch is a MIT sourced coding program that is geared towards younger children.  I'm sure the code blocks are limited to flips and specific patterns, but I can't verify.

Don't be distracted by some of the apparent snark :-)

My grandson (first grader) is also using "HopScotch" "Playgrounds" (by Swift) and Tynker.  All have similar structure and may be linked to some flying or robotic devices.  Great way to get started on the "thinking" and cognitive process of coding.
2018-3-9
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-8 18:10
Hi, there. I would recommend users contact the support of Tello for better assistance: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/. Thanks for your understanding.

here appear to be a limited number of approved controllers and only "scratch" as a coding option.

Only Gamesir or Gamevice are listed under the FAQ
2018-3-9
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gamesir or Gamevice are the only controllers listed under the Tello FAQ page
2018-3-9
Use props
nofloat
lvl.1

United States

SOUNDWAVE439 Posted at 2018-3-8 19:06
I believe everyone at this point is still a beginner at the Tello mate

Moreso a total new pilot...not just to the Tello.  
2018-3-9
Use props
nofloat
lvl.1

United States

RE: Preferences between Compatible Controllers for Ryze Tello (ed...

WebParrot Posted at 2018-3-9 07:41
Gamesir or Gamevice are the only controllers listed under the Tello FAQ page

Yup.  The only two listed...but what are pilots using?  

What are their preferences one vs. the other....that is the question.

Pros and cons.

Title has been edited to reflect that I'm looking for the preferences between the two compatible controllers...not which controllers are compatible.

Thanks!   
2018-3-9
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

nofloat Posted at 2018-3-9 08:14
Yup.  The only two listed...but what are pilots using?  

What are their preferences one vs. the other....that is the question.

You'll understand if I suggest that you be patient :-) ... that little bird has only been for "sail" in the last week or so.  This isn't a Tello forum, either.  You're not as likely to get Tello users.  Might try RCGROUPS forum, drone-forum.com, or even search YouTube for new users.
2018-3-10
Use props
televue
New
United States

Cannot get the GameSir T1s or the G3 to work on my Android S7. The word is Ryze is working on supporting an android model called T1D which has yet to be released as far as I know. Picked this up from a member on a different forum so I can't authenticate it. Another member was getting a Gamevise to work with an IPad Mini.
2018-3-11
Use props
nofloat
lvl.1

United States

televue Posted at 2018-3-11 12:37
Cannot get the GameSir T1s or the G3 to work on my Android S7. The word is Ryze is working on supporting an android model called T1D which has yet to be released as far as I know. Picked this up from a member on a different forum so I can't authenticate it. Another member was getting a Gamevise to work with an IPad Mini.

Good to know.

I've defaulted to this thread:  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... -Tello-Owner-Thread - per WebParrots recommendation.  
2018-3-11
Use props
daev2018
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12263747 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had already purchased the Steelseries Nimbus remote from Apple for AppleTV. I can report that it works very well using iPhone10. The L1 starts and stops recording and the R1 snaps a photo a little like a DJI remote.

Here is the Apple Store Link:
https://www.apple.com/shop/produ ... 21b3ba584f1fc5d10d4
2018-3-12
Use props
fanscf824295
lvl.3

Austria

televue Posted at 2018-3-11 12:37
Cannot get the GameSir T1s or the G3 to work on my Android S7. The word is Ryze is working on supporting an android model called T1D which has yet to be released as far as I know. Picked this up from a member on a different forum so I can't authenticate it. Another member was getting a Gamevise to work with an IPad Mini.

That would be really unfortunate given that the T1s is so common ... And given how many apps and games work flawlessly with it they should be able to support it via app/software update.

I hope enough people get in touch with support and they manage to sort it out ...
2018-3-16
Use props
fanscf824295
lvl.3

Austria

well ... https://gamesir.hk/blogs/news/co ... n-gamesir-and-tello doesn't look so promising that any Android controllers beside the mystical T1d will work with the Tello.
That is so unfortunate as it kills one of the main selling points ("use a game controller you might already have") which in reality means increasing the base price for many users by a to be determined amount ... :-/
2018-3-19
Use props
TsukoYomi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23422 ft
Philippines

nofloat Posted at 2018-3-9 07:25

let them start at very young age eh! cool!
2018-3-19
Use props
fans2de325ed
New

Ukraine

fanscf824295 Posted at 2018-3-19 12:05
well ... https://gamesir.hk/blogs/news/compatibility-between-gamesir-and-tello doesn't look so promising that any Android controllers beside the mystical T1d will work with the Tello.
That is so unfortunate as it kills one of the main selling points ("use a game controller you might already have") which in reality means increasing the base price for many users by a to be determined amount ... :-/

Managed to control Tello with "GameSir T1s" on ROOTED! Android phone.
All gamesir controllers are supported for so-called "remaping" in their android app "GameSir World".
This remaping is in fact screen touches simulation.
But it is not easy to get it working.
On non-rooted phone we need to have usb-host enabled phone and purchase usb dongle from GameSir.
On rooted phone these screen touches simulations are possible without additional hardware.
Steps for rooted phones (how I recall them):
1. From GameSir official downloads site (www,xiaoji,com/download/) get:
  - latest "GameSir World" app (www,xiaoji,com/download/gsw_V3.3.2j.apk)
  - PC-based remapper activator utility (www,xiaoji,com/download/xiaoji-vtouch.exe)
2. Install downloaded app onyour Phone (installation from unknown sources should be enabled)
2. Enable USB-debugging in Phones's developer's menu.
3. Connect Phone to PC and launch downloaded utility, follow on-screen wizard (my guess is that you need usb-debugging drivers to be installed)
4. Launch "GameSir World" app on Phone. We don't care of app itself, we need notification with gamepad that it produces. App could be closed.
5. Launch GameSir controlling utility from Notification area.
6. Grant root previlegies when asked.
7. Pair T1s wit phone, when connecting from within this utility T1s is switching to some fast mode.
8. Enable remapping
9. Add Tello app by pressing "+" button in this utility
10. Launch Tello app
11. There will be overlay button in Tello app that launches T1s buttons assignment to screen positions.
12. When T1s buttons are aligned with tello app on-screen buttons we are done.

I'assigned left and right joysticks for flight control, L1 button for video/photo mode switch and L2 button for pictures taking.
Working great so far.
2018-3-21
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans2de325ed Posted at 2018-3-21 12:42
Managed to control Tello with "GameSir T1s" on ROOTED! Android phone.
All gamesir controllers are supported for so-called "remaping" in their android app "GameSir World".

That stinks, I have returned the T1 and T1s and waiting for the mysterious T1d and/or will drop on a Nimbus controller. Not critical at the moment but whatever.
2018-3-26
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.4

you should be able to control your Tello with a PS4 or Xbox controller, connect the drone to your phone and then connect bluetooth from controller to phone.  it works perfectly with the spark and should work with Tello also.

I plan on doing this and getting a small wifi extender that will power up by usb and a small Mophie cell charger. That way I can fly little farther than 30m.
2018-3-29
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 16:30
you should be able to control your Tello with a PS4 or Xbox controller, connect the drone to your phone and then connect bluetooth from controller to phone.  it works perfectly with the spark and should work with Tello also.

I plan on doing this and getting a small wifi extender that will power up by usb and a small Mophie cell charger. That way I can fly little farther than 30m.

That's intriguing.....hooking up xbox controller to the phone.  The only thing is there no "holder" for the  phone.

It would be great if there was a compatible Android controller, hopefully soon.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-3-29
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.4

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-3-29 19:48
That's intriguing.....hooking up xbox controller to the phone.  The only thing is there no "holder" for the  phone.

It would be great if there was a compatible Android controller, hopefully soon.

2018-3-29
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.4

they make them for most controllers now.
2018-3-29
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
United States

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 20:05

Wow!  I'll need to look for that!

Thx!

Todd
2018-3-29
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
United States

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 20:05

Bummer....

I've got two different Xbox controllers and neither seem to show up in my Bluetooth list on my phone.  :-(  I may have to wait for the Gamesir....

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-3-31
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180584 ft
Canada

fans2de325ed Posted at 2018-3-21 12:42
Managed to control Tello with "GameSir T1s" on ROOTED! Android phone.

Good info here. I now have the T1s working on my rooted S6, only need to do the following steps:

1. From GameSir official downloads site get:
  - latest GameSir World app (www,xiaoji,com/download/gsw_V3.3.2j.apk)
2. Install downloaded app onyour Phone (installation from unknown sources should be enabled)
3. Launch GameSir World app on Phone. There is a weird popup at the beginning. just click the bottom button (I can't read Chinese).
4. Click GameSir at the bottom of the screen
5. Grant root previlegies when asked.
6. Pair T1s wit phone (by clicking connect button in GameSir and selecting the image of T1s)
7. Enable remapping
8. Add Tello app by pressing + button in this utility
9. Launch Tello app
10. There will be overlay button in Tello app that launches T1s buttons assignment to screen positions.
11. Assign the buttons to whatever icons you want clicked in the tello app (and L and R for control) Just drag the button over the tello icons. I use A for takeoff, R1 for picture/video toggle, R2 for start/stop video/picture. Start for flight mode menu.

I bought this for my 4 year old, his birthday was today. Thankfully stumbled across this so his gift was a success and he could fly with the controller and video feed on phone, just like daddy Could have been a disaster otherwise... he was very specific he wanted a controller (and I needed him to have something simple to fly indoors) He did a great job flying, this thing is great for kids to learn on.
2018-4-6
Use props
Thunderbirdsarego
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

LouisP Posted at 2018-3-8 19:43
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)

Sct=ratch is a linux based block programme,,,developed at MIT...this will give you a clue as to who Tello is.
2018-4-9
Use props
Computer Normal
lvl.1
United States

daev2018 Posted at 2018-3-12 19:39
I had already purchased the Steelseries Nimbus remote from Apple for AppleTV. I can report that it works very well using iPhone10. The L1 starts and stops recording and the R1 snaps a photo a little like a DJI remote.

Here is the Apple Store Link:

I linked my Nimbus to my iPhone X yesterday. Everything worked except for the R1 (take photos) button – it works fine on my Apple TV so I know it's not the actual button.
2018-4-11
Use props
TLG
lvl.1
United States

I just received my Tello and T1d controller as  a package deal from DJI.  I cannot get the T1d to connect to any of my Android phones.  I've tried old and new phones.  My phone sees the T1d, but fails to pair.  Does anyone have any advice?  Ryze customer service was quick with a no help reply.  I have not heard from Gamesir.  Thanks much everyone!

TG
2018-4-24
Use props
nmac
First Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

There are others on another forum that have found out how.    I hope this link will help you, as one said turn on BT on phone then open tello app then turn on RC.  go to settings in app under BT and look for controller and it should say disconnected.  press on the disconnect and it should connect.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... Owner-Thread/page45
2018-4-24
Use props
TLG
lvl.1
United States

nmac Posted at 2018-4-24 09:59
There are others on another forum that have found out how.    I hope this link will help you, as one said turn on BT on phone then open tello app then turn on RC.  go to settings in app under BT and look for controller and it should say disconnected.  press on the disconnect and it should connect.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3014999-Ryze-Tello-Owner-Thread/page45

Thanks for the link.  I've tried everything I can think.  Uninstall and reinstall.  Nothing seems to work.  I do NOT see the T1d in the blue tooth settings within the Tello App.  I am really disappointed in Ryze and Gamesir customer support.  Gamesir has not responded to a single email.
2018-4-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

Tello Android Remote Controller now being sold by DJI Online Store.
2018-4-25
Use props
nmac
First Officer

TLG Posted at 2018-4-25 07:53
Thanks for the link.  I've tried everything I can think.  Uninstall and reinstall.  Nothing seems to work.  I do NOT see the T1d in the blue tooth settings within the Tello App.  I am really disappointed in Ryze and Gamesir customer support.  Gamesir has not responded to a single email.

Hey like i said make sure your phones BT is on then open tello app, then turn on controller. then look in tello settings as the first is speed slow/fast then vr mode but the next is Bluetooth controller settings and that is what you need to click on. As many have said it should show your controller but say disconnected and just tap on it and it should connect.... sorry i have not got mine yet so cannot give great detail but only from what worded for many. and maybe one there can help you better than i. Am just trying to be helpful to others as they have to me.
2018-4-25
Use props
nmac
First Officer

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-25 09:33
Tello Android Remote Controller now being sold by DJI Online Store.

Yes he has the same a T1D  and i just ordered one. and not to far from you as 51 and Bell rd.  I do love that little thing but not a spark or mavic but still a blast.
2018-4-25
Use props
Todd in Chicago
Second Officer
United States

Slightly off topic, but I just got a new phone and now the Tello doesn't work right.  Anytime I click on the video, the app closes.....not good if it is starting to drift....

It appears the app may not be fully compatible with the new Samsung Galaxy S9+.

Anyone else with this phone having problems?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-4-25
Use props
nmac
First Officer

I think i remember some at another site saying that a S9 works for them but i have a S7 edge and works great for it and go4. You may want to go to that one that i posted a link to a few posts ago as its for tello and many are there.
2018-4-25
Use props
fansc0b26c7d
New

New Zealand

I am having the same issue as TLG above.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s6 with Android 7.0 which I can not get the T1d to connect to.

Bluetooth is turned on, and I can see the T1d from within bluetooth settings of the phone but can not pair here (expected).
I can use the T1d upgrade tool and it responds to button calibration but says is running the most up to date firmware.
Google Play confirms that the Tello app is the most up to date.

I have tried various orders of turning devices on an off eg app first, then wifi to Tello, then T1d on, or having controller on first, then app then wifi etc. Every time I can not see the T1d from within the Tello app, that is, when I go to the settings cog, and click for the bluetooth connection settings, there is NOTHING displayed in the connection items, i.e. the only two clickable things are the controller map and how to connect instructions (which do not work for me).

I am starting to wonder if my T1d is defective as it arrived from the DJI store with no plastic or anything around it, so anything could have been done to the controller before I got it.

Can anyone help please?
2018-5-1
Use props
fans73e3bb0e
New

Anybody know if steelseries stratus xl for android works? My local gamestop has it considering getting it. Thanks
2018-5-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules