DJI GO 4 won't start (Samsung S5)
3759 16 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bought my Mavic Air this morning, still haven't flown it because DJI GO 4 (version 4.2.6) will not start on my Samsung S5 (Android 5). Instead of using my drone I have spent the entire afternoon Googling and reading forums.

I have closed every application, reinstalled the app several times. I have plenty space. All I get is the initial splash screen and the infamous "Unfortunately, DJI GO 4 has stopped".

Which is wrong, because it never even started. I've gone through my phone's files system looking for an error log and can't find one. Why is that???

I know Android has its share of issues, but the S5 is listed as compatible and I had expected to get a little further than this. Luckily I have an Ipad Pro to test things otherwise the drone would be flying without batteries in the direction of the dealer.
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, since you use S5, I would recommend you provide us the crash log of DJI GO 4 for further analysis. Are you using the latest firmware? Here is the path: mobile device/SD card/DJI/dji.pilot/LOG/CRASH
2018-3-10
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-10 01:09
Hi, since you use S5, I would recommend you provide us the crash log of DJI GO 4 for further analysis. Are you using the latest firmware? Here is the path: mobile device/SD card/DJI/dji.pilot/LOG/CRASH

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

As indicated in my original message, there is no log file at the location you suggest. I have done keyword searches over the entire android file system looking for an error file.

What is the firmware you suggest? My phone SM-G900F reports that it has the latest updates, I don't know if that includes firmware.

Thanks
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-3-10 02:00
Hi, Thank you for the reply.

As indicated in my original message, there is no log file at the location you suggest. I have done keyword searches over the entire android file system looking for an error file.

I would recommend you clean up all the cache files see if it works better.
2018-3-10
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-10 03:17
Did you try to reinstall the app? Please try again and save all the files first. I would recommend you clean up all the cache files and see if it works better.

As indicated in my original message,  I have installed and reinstalled the App multiple times. I have cleared the application cache and data and also the system cache.

I have also stopped all other applications from running. There are no other apps running on my phone.

As the App seems to have failed at startup without leaving a crash report, is there any way to diagnose why it is not starting? Because it fails at the initial splash screen there is nothing to go on. I am completely at a loss - the app is supposed to run on the S5 and I have done everything that has been suggested.
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-3-10 04:29
As indicated in my original message,  I have installed and reinstalled the App multiple times. I have cleared the application cache and data and also the system cache.

I have also stopped all other applications from running. There are no other apps running on my phone.

Hi, here is supported mobile device size for your reference. I would recommend you use the recommended devices. Thanks for your support.
mobile support.JPG
2018-3-12
Use props
SanDiegoAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14980 ft
United States

Don't bother.

I spent hours trying to get the Galaxy S5 to work, and best it will run with bag lags and crash about every 30 seconds.  I have 2 of them, one was new and the only app.  Don't waste your time -- it just isn't fast enough.
2018-3-20
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

SanDiegoAir Posted at 2018-3-20 00:08
Don't bother.

I spent hours trying to get the Galaxy S5 to work, and best it will run with bag lags and crash about every 30 seconds.  I have 2 of them, one was new and the only app.  Don't waste your time -- it just isn't fast enough.

Thanks for the info. I like the drone, but I would have thought twice if I had known the app wouldn't run on my phone (even though it is supposed to).
2018-3-20
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Erm I hate to throw a spanner in the works but my old S5 works absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever. It's an old phone with no sim card, airplane mode turned on.  The S6 S7  also work great, again old phones with no sim cards.
2018-3-20
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-20 01:57
Erm I hate to throw a spanner in the works but my old S5 works absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever. It's an old phone with no sim card, airplane mode turned on.  The S6 S7  also work great, again old phones with no sim cards.

I've spent a lot of time Googling and reading forums and it is clear the S5 *can* work ... but mine refuses to even let the app start. The App release notes show a lot has been added to support the Air, and it could be that not everyone with an S5 is running the most recent version of the App.

If you read the "support" responses on this thread you will see that they could be easily reproduced by a bot - I mean, why would I want to know the physical dimensions of supported phones?? I never asked that question. So support has not been useful.

Clearly, memory is likely to be an issue, so I stop every other app from running. Airplane mode is a good idea, I will try that.

Nope, didn't help.
2018-3-20
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yeah, I don't get why it works fine for me and not for you. Latest version of Go4 no issues, though I did read somewhere there are different versions of the S5 and the earlier versions struggled, so maybe you have the earlier version.... I just don't know.

I only use the S5/S6/S7 when I want easy portability where I don't need to carry bulky ipads (most of the time with the air and now pro) and have dedicated ipad mini 4's for the larger drones.

My advice is if you are in a position to get yourself an ipad mini 4 (second hand) do so and don't give up on the air, it's a fabulous little drone.
2018-3-20
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-3-20 02:24
I've spent a lot of time Googling and reading forums and it is clear the S5 *can* work ... but mine refuses to even let the app start. The App release notes show a lot has been added to support the Air, and it could be that not everyone with an S5 is running the most recent version of the App.

If you read the "support" responses on this thread you will see that they could be easily reproduced by a bot - I mean, why would I want to know the physical dimensions of supported phones?? I never asked that question. So support has not been useful.

Have you turned Developer options on and Debugging on?
It run on my J5.
2018-3-20
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-3-20 00:37
Thanks for the info. I like the drone, but I would have thought twice if I had known the app wouldn't run on my phone (even though it is supposed to).

I am absolutely new to drones and the Air has run just fine on my Galaxy S5.  I Power up the drone, power up the RC and the Go app opens automatically on my phone, once I swipe the screen lock.
2018-3-22
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-3-22 09:42
I am absolutely new to drones and the Air has run just fine on my Galaxy S5.  I Power up the drone, power up the RC and the Go app opens automatically on my phone, once I swipe the screen lock.

I think it is absolutely right for people to say "this works for me". That is why I began this thread. When I was looking at the S9+ the first thing I did was Google everything about DJI GO 4 and the S9. I wanted to know what experiences people had had.

On the other hand, it is equally right for people to say "I did everything DJI support suggested (and everyone else) and it didn't work for me". I've worked in the computer industry since the 70's, built computers out of chips, programmed Arduinos, RPI's, PICs etc etc, and I can't get the bloody S5 in my pocket to run DJI GO 4 :-)
2018-3-22
Use props
Chito G. Reyes
lvl.2

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-12 03:27
Hi, here is supported mobile device size for your reference. I would recommend you use the recommended devices. Thanks for your support.

Why like that? You included the Samsung S5 as a compatible device for the DJI Go 4 App, and you are now declining form your recommendations???
2019-9-12
Use props
Bgernaat
New
Flight distance : 2260 ft
United States

Had the same problem.  Found this online and fixed it in about 30 seconds.  Flying fine now.  Search this link on youtube and put this in the search.  DJI Go 4 App not working FIX November 2021 after android 12 update
2022-3-13
Use props
Bgernaat
New
Flight distance : 2260 ft
United States

Bgernaat Posted at 3-13 06:09
Had the same problem.  Found this online and fixed it in about 30 seconds.  Flying fine now.  Search this link on youtube and put this in the search.  DJI Go 4 App not working FIX November 2021 after android 12 update

Long red haired guy with a beard.  Totally worked for me.
2022-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules