Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
charging phone in horizontal position with Osmo2
12Next >
11212 45 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
senatorkelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450525 ft
United States

So i'm not sure anyone tried to charge their phone while its sitting in horizontal mode while on the Osmo2 but there's a problem. All convential cables get in the way to even balance the phone on the gimbal.

So I found these cables: I looked for every phone connection type

Micro-USB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB C
https://www.amazon.com/Micord-De ... ord+90-degree+usb+c

Apple Lighting
https://www.amazon.com/Micord-90 ... 90-degree+lightning

I'm not sure how well these work but its the thinnest 90* angle i could find. I'm not affflicated with the brand or Amazon, just trying to help

Hope this helps!
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Thank you senator. You inspired me to make trial. I purchase one of the similar cord in a nearby retail store at ~US$6.
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Thank you senatorkelley. You inspired me to make trial. I purchase one of the similar cord in a nearby retail store at ~US$6.   As expected, application of the 90-degree cord to long phone like Note 8, is creating horizontal tilting to the left, approximately 20 degree down, even though I adjust offsetting slider notch to max (to right side).  I guess the phone can be charged (by OM2) this way while shooting video, but additional power is required for OM2’s balancing.   But, this arrangement makes an easy way to microphone plug-in too (LOL)
2018-3-10
Use props
senatorkelley
lvl.2
United States

I got my USB cable and my tripod! everything works perfect!

2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Looks nice cable, but I don't think it works for most of phone since the gimbal is still hard to be balanced well.
2018-3-11
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-11 22:32
Looks nice cable, but I don't think it works for most of phone since the gimbal is still hard to be balanced well.

Hi Mandy

You are correct.

Right after I post #3 above, I go out to take time-lapse with the 90 degree cable attached to gimbal.
As said, the whole gimbal suffered left tilt ~20degrees.
But after power on, it can still start motion-time-lapse.
It's just after 15 minutes or so during motion time lapse, OM2 suddenly power off itself

If there is  a OM3 to come, please consider extending horizontal offset-slider to further right,
so that long phone can use power cable (while charging) and microphone jacks.
(Xiaomi gimbal offers even a better solution, its gimbal has male extrusion that fits right to and charge-up the action cam female power socket)

Regards
2018-3-12
Use props
senatorkelley
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-11 22:32

Then whats the point of charging phone feature? Who will need to charge the phone in portrait mode? I myself will never use portrait so that USB port would be useless.
2018-3-12
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I have been using this set up for a while now but beware the phone drains a lot of power from the gimbal, plus the gimbal is working extra to balance the phone with the cable.  In my experience, the gimbal only lasted 1.5-2 hours top.  I have an iphone 8 plus.  Not sure if this will be the same for smaller phones.  Because of this, I now tape a small portable charger to charge my iphone separately while using the gimbal.  This way the OM2 lasts longer.  It'll be interesting if everyone who uses this cable reports back how many hours the OSM2 lasted while charging the phone.   
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

senatorkelley Posted at 2018-3-12 05:00
Then whats the point of charging phone feature? Who will need to charge the phone in portrait mode? I myself will never use portrait so that USB port would be useless.

The Osmo Mobile 2 can charge a mobile device via the USB port on the back of the handle. It can be simply used as a power bank just in case your phone is out of power.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Thanks for your test and feedback, we listen to all the suggestion from our customers, I will transfer your need to engineers for consideration in the future development.
2018-3-13
Use props
NinjaTurtles
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for sharing the link! I have the same cord and it is a challenge to use it with larger phone like the Samsung Note series.

I am now using a power bank for keeping the phone charged during long time lapse sequences rather than charging through the device, it is working fairly well but it is not possible to have a proper balance as the phone plus low profile USB cord still make the device droop left.
2018-3-27
Use props
zimou13
lvl.1

Vietnam

Solid cord. Works to charge and play my iphone 6. Isn't too bulky, so the distance from the dash to the cable is significantly shortened when I mount my phone as a GPS (whereas it was super long with a straight cord). ShowBox Kodi Lucky Patcher
2018-3-27
Use props
thetrickseek
New

India

Thank you for sharing this with us. You inspired me.
https://thetrickseek.com/
2018-5-20
Use props
kbm79
lvl.3
France

Whilst you can use a right angle cable, is the battery drain worth it?

One thing to bear in mind - you can't charge your phone AND use the OM2 at the same time.  The best solution i found so far is to switch the phone mount to vertical which gives you space to plug in the usb cable. You of course have to do this during your filming 'down time' so timing is the key.  Its a bit of a fiddle to return it back to horizontal, but at least the phone is still balanced.

In an ideal world, all smartphone would still have removable batteries - alas, consumer demand has pushed them towards waterproofing, so fixed batteries are here to stay.

2018-5-21
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I use a right angle lightning cable with my iPhone 6 and it balances just fine.  Charges the phone and use the osmo 2 at the same time no problems.
2018-5-21
Use props
userf1d95a1ea1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448110 ft
United States

I have the 1 foot length of this cable and it works ok but the cable is stiff so its not ideal until its broken in a bit. In this case its better to use a thinner, kinda cheaper cable so the gmbal moves more feely. I can also report that you can be charging your phone while filming with the osmo with no trouble. Its great to be able to do so, however as has been mentioned, the gimbal battery life is shortened big time doing so. I figured it would be, but not this fast. Dropped from 3 bars to 1 bar inside of approx 45 minutes. Shame since phone battery is eaten up during filming. This is my moto z phone. Im finding the tradoffs with android and phone charging to be concerning. Not sure its a keeper.
2018-5-31
Use props
showbox
New

India

Showbox is an android based entertainment app which allows you to access of free unlimited movies on your android device.  Go to download page to download latest showbox app for your smartphone.
2018-6-24
Use props
alanclark007777
New

India

this is really very sad that you have to face such a bad situation. I am not supporting it.

http://www.viper4androidfxapk.info/
2018-6-26
Use props
rosstacular
New
Switzerland

One workaround is to flip the phone as seen below, but the downsides are:
1. Screen partially obscurred
2. Will have to hold joystick backwards, making the joystick very difficult to use.

2018-7-2
Use props
SpeedyGonzales
lvl.1

Norway

Another workaround is to turn your phone around, so the charging port is on the left. When you are doing this, the arm of the Osmo Mobile 2 will be in the way of you hold it straight up. Hold it like you would hold a flashlight, and there is nothing that is blocking the camera. You will miss the ability to lift the camera high and do everything you can do with the camera mounted as it should, but it will work of you are planning to walk straight forward and not "fly everywhere with the camera"
2018-7-4
Use props
Walk
lvl.1
Cyprus

I made curly cable and it works fine
2018-7-14
Use props
alanclark007777
New

India

viper4android is an app to increase the volume in the android smartphones. It is free and anyone can use it on their mobile phones.
2018-7-14
Use props
damyanti97
New

India

Download one of the better alternative of play store downloads your paid apps absolutely free!!!!!!!
Blackmart App
2018-7-23
Use props
djiuser_Yhe73OUeehMW
New

India

It is free and anyone can use it on their mobile phones. Natasha Jain
2018-8-9
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

senatorkelley Posted at 2018-3-11 08:26
I got my USB cable and my tripod! everything works perfect!

[view_image]

Nice. I do the exact same setup even the same cable. Works like a charm (except for underslung mode)!
2018-8-9
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

kbm79 Posted at 2018-5-21 02:00
Whilst you can use a right angle cable, is the battery drain worth it?

One thing to bear in mind - you can't charge your phone AND use the OM2 at the same time.  The best solution i found so far is to switch the phone mount to vertical which gives you space to plug in the usb cable. You of course have to do this during your filming 'down time' so timing is the key.  Its a bit of a fiddle to return it back to horizontal, but at least the phone is still balanced.

but the thing is that you can charge yr phone and use the osmo at the same time..
2018-8-9
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Joemar7 Posted at 2018-3-12 05:24
I have been using this set up for a while now but beware the phone drains a lot of power from the gimbal, plus the gimbal is working extra to balance the phone with the cable.  In my experience, the gimbal only lasted 1.5-2 hours top.  I have an iphone 8 plus.  Not sure if this will be the same for smaller phones.  Because of this, I now tape a small portable charger to charge my iphone separately while using the gimbal.  This way the OM2 lasts longer.  It'll be interesting if everyone who uses this cable reports back how many hours the OSM2 lasted while charging the phone.

3,5 hours with an iPhone 7
2018-8-9
Use props
djiuser_Yhe73OUeehMW
New

India

I now tape a small portable charger to charge my iphone separately while using the gimbal.  This way the OM2 lasts longer.  It'll be interesting if everyone who uses this cable reports back how many hours the OSM2 lasted while charging the phone.  most expensive cars in the world  
2018-8-10
Use props
teleworm
New

India

https://snaptube-downloadapp.com/
2018-8-16
Use props
joggybush1
New

India

hi.,
Place the mobile phone in the mobile phone holder while pulling the sides of the holder outwards, then release the sides of the holder so they hold the phone in place. Hold the Osmo Mobile 2 horizontally and adjust the position of the phone (in the holder) to balance the tilt axis.

Install norton.com/ setup
2018-8-22
Use props
Mike Davies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1288885 ft
United States

I think the biggest problem is because you are causing more of a strain and imbalance on the Osmo battery and gimbal motors by moving your phone over to accommodate space for a right angle charging cable.... More than by just using your Osmo to charge the phone.... I would be willing to bet if you plugged the cable into the phone but not the Osmo and used it... You would see a dramatic change in battery life on the Osmo vs. having the phone correctly balanced with no charging cord...  Just my two cents of simple physics...
2018-9-14
Use props
adejasper
lvl.1

Nigeria

thetrickseek Posted at 5-20 01:24
Thank you for sharing this with us. You inspired me.
https://thetrickseek.com/

You have done well for this important info. You are wonderful
Gadgets-Right
2018-11-10
Use props
mrqbapawlakk
lvl.1

Poland

This is a great peace of hardware that will provide a lot of useful features for users.

2018-12-12
Use props
Peggybates
New

India

That is a really great way to charge my phone. I was suffering for keeping charging and taking the videos for one of my projects Electic Man Unblocked . Now i will visit the nearby place and buy the product.
2018-12-17
Use props
johnmorgan13
New

India

alanclark007777 Posted at 2018-6-26 03:01
this is really very sad that you have to face such a bad situation. I am not supporting it.

http://www.viper4androidfxapk.info/

Great  thread.
2019-3-12
Use props
johnmorgan13
New

India

joggybush1 Posted at 2018-8-22 09:27
hi.,
Place the mobile phone in the mobile phone holder while pulling the sides of the holder outwards, then release the sides of the holder so they hold the phone in place. Hold the Osmo Mobile 2 horizontally and adjust the position of the phone (in the holder) to balance the tilt axis.

Awesome reply.
2019-3-12
Use props
tomroot
New

India

Awesome Post
2019-3-16
Use props
qeryter
New

Pakistan

Awesome Post

https://apkdose.com/mobdro-app-download/
2019-5-3
Use props
jamesmartin
New

Pakistan

I have a great device. You like yours. We have not convinced one another and are not likely to do so.

I was merely suggesting there could be a different way to get your point across to more people. But one must be open to such a suggestion.

Be well.

Regards
James
2019-5-16
Use props
jamesmartin
New

Pakistan

The Osmo mobile can be charged with usb. I’m sorry but RV? What vehicle past 1960 doesn’t have a cigarette lighter.

As far as worse? No it’s quite capable... provides the same optical stabilization as the original... even allows for vertical videos as well. It’s made of cheaper composite materials (lighter) and no interchangeable batteries (cheaper). As a stabilizer you lose nothing compared to the first one. Maybe in design or additional features theres a difference.

Martin
2019-5-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules