1080p Sharpness is Broken. Yours too, or working?
1565 12 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've got an P4P Obsidian and found a few problems in Video modes.

Firstly 2.7k @50fps is actually 49.50fps, which is slightly annoying, but I can adjust it in post. At least 25fps is actually 25, but for slowmo it's bit more work.

Secondly, 1080p sharpness settings make no difference whatsoever. They're all stuck at about Sharpness +2, compared to what 2.7k and 4k look like.

Luckily 2.7k and 4k sharpness do actually change, although the jump from -2 to -3 is more like -2 to -5, so has this been fixed in a more recent firmware?

I'm on 1.03.0509 and Android app 4.1.14.

Anyone else also getting this and if it was fixed, where was it fixed, in Firmware (which one) or the App and in Android or iOs?

Come on DJI, prove I'm wrong.

EDIT: Scroll down for the video I made for a later post.
2018-3-9
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Has no one spotted this before? Did it ever work and DJI just broke it in fw 0509? Have they fixed it since?
2018-3-14
Use props
Wingshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

What have you done to verify the sharpness?  In your editing Program? or Just with viewing the video.
2018-3-15
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I sat the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian on a table looking out of my  window to a house at the end of the garden.

I then filmed 21 short video clips at all 7 sharpness settings in 1080p, 2.7k and 4k.

Subsequent tests show this makes no difference in NTSC/PAL or in any of the styles: None, D-Cinelike, D-Log, True Color, B&W etc. etc. they're all the same.

I then loaded all 21 clips, 7 clips at a time into a video editor and zoomed in 400% to a chimney which was silhouetted against the sky.
Then I turned off each layer in turn from +3 to 0 to -3 and noticed in each mode:

1) 1080p No difference whatsover in each setting.
2) 2.7k, decreasing sharpness, as expected.
4) 4k decreasing sharpness as expected.

I'm assuming this would have been noticed by others in the last 18 months if it always did it, so I'm hoping it was a specific firmware or App glitch and has been fixed since.
2018-3-16
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wingshooter Posted at 2018-3-15 02:02
What have you done to verify the sharpness?  In your editing Program? or Just with viewing the video.

The result is the same in both and is clearly visible when viewing normally. In my editor I can zoom in to more easily identify the problem.

Just to make it easier to see: here's a video of stills taken from those video clips.

Yes, it's correctly focused for each clip.

Basically, I'm restricted to 2.7k and 4k video at -2 Sharpness.  -3 is over-soft.

All the other modes are over-sharp and as a result of that there are very visible moire patterns on bricks, roof tiles, fences and anything with uniform lines, which looks pretty bad.

So, what does everyone else's look like? If yours is better, what FW and App version are you using?

It runs quite slowly through the options, so watch at x2 Playback speed and you'll miss nothing.

2018-3-16
Use props
tompahr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1653848 ft
Croatia

Excellent analysis! Thanks for sharing.
2018-3-16
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

tompahr Posted at 2018-3-16 23:01
Excellent analysis! Thanks for sharing.

So, is yours any different? Or are they all like this? Seems unlikely given the number of pixel peepers in the world that this hasn't been spotted before now.
2018-3-17
Use props
tompahr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1653848 ft
Croatia

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-17 03:10
So, is yours any different? Or are they all like this? Seems unlikely given the number of pixel peepers in the world that this hasn't been spotted before now.

I am read about that before but that is first time to someone make video analysis.And I like that because someone from DJI will maybe do something to correct that! Unfortunately, I have same problem.
2018-3-17
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great, are they really all like this or has DJI pulled a switcheroo when they made mine and I've got some sensor reject in my Obsidian?

Come on guys (and a few girls?), it's only 2 minutes of your time to watch the video (speed it up x2, you'll still get the idea). Is yours better?

If not, we all need to complain to DJI to fix it in a FW or App update or something, if it's possible.
2018-3-18
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-3-14 10:25
Has no one spotted this before? Did it ever work and DJI just broke it in fw 0509? Have they fixed it since?

I have this issue with the 1080 sharpness settings. Both on my I2 and P4P so assuming its a Go4 Issue. I've been posting on it for weeks on the I2 forum. Finally got a reply from DJI that its been handed to their engineers. Like you I can't understand why more people have't picked up on it. (I2,P4P/Ipad 4 mini all latest SW)
2018-7-7
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-155375-1-1.html
2018-7-7
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

fansdb6ff1f7 Posted at 2018-7-7 03:30
https://forum.dji.com/thread-155375-1-1.html

Being a relative newbie, I have only worked in 4K and 2K and trying to get a handle on that.  I have not done much in 1080P at all so I will have to look at that.  I always use -2 sharpness so that would suck if I needed to go 1080P for some reason
2018-7-7
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-7 03:40
Being a relative newbie, I have only worked in 4K and 2K and trying to get a handle on that.  I have not done much in 1080P at all so I will have to look at that.  I always use -2 sharpness so that would suck if I needed to go 1080P for some reason

It would be really helpful if you could post your results including what tablet your using. Thanks
2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules