Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Samsung Tab S2-8 Connect Work Around for the P4P
9849 29 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Greetings,

For all of us with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2-8, we know once it connects that it is a solid performer.

However getting it to connect is nothing short of a magic trick from time to time.

I have come up with a work around that will connect every time without issue. This has also been tested with the latest operating system updates without issue as well.
The root of the problem is either DJI GO4 or the controller is not handling the USB connect protocol correctly.

This should be a simple fix for DJI's software engineers and if completed this would make 1000's of users very happy as well as the ability to add another tablet to their approved devices list. But this hasn't happened. (yet)

So on to the work around. Do this at your own risk, don't try this at home, some assembly required, batteries not included bla bla bla. (done correctly, its safe)

Step One
Place your Tablet in Developers Mode.
Follow the instructions here>
http://visihow.com/Enable_the_De ... msung_Galaxy_Tab_S2

Step Two
Once in developers mode, open settings, scroll down to the bottom of the left hand menu and select Developers Options.
Once in Developers Options, scroll down to USB configuration. Change USB settings from MTP to RNDIS

Your P4P should now connect – Every time.

Notes
The Tablet wont remember your change in settings. It will revert to back MTP. So you must make this change each time you connect.

Enjoy and Regards

Mike

2018-3-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

OK Mike thanks. I've just noticed, you refer to the P4P. Mine is a P4 Standard so not sure if the workaround would be the same. The Reset Defaults to None works for me - usually - so I'll stick with that unless you know different?    Thanks for the thread.
2018-3-9
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-3-9 14:42
OK Mike thanks. I've just noticed, you refer to the P4P. Mine is a P4 Standard so not sure if the workaround would be the same. The Reset Defaults to None works for me - usually - so I'll stick with that unless you know different?    Thanks for the thread.

I would strongly consider trying it. I think the only difference is the cam, therefore the connect issue would be the same.

Cheers
2018-3-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-9 14:52
I would strongly consider trying it. I think the only difference is the cam, therefore the connect issue would be the same.

Cheers

Can't hurt to try. Next time there's a break in the weather ( 10 day forecast is rain and more rain   ) I'll give it a go.  Best regards
2018-3-9
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-3-9 15:19
Can't hurt to try. Next time there's a break in the weather ( 10 day forecast is rain and more rain   ) I'll give it a go.  Best regards

I dont think you can go wrong with this. Its easy to place the tab in developers mode and easy to switch the port settings. Do it a few times and you'll be a pro in no time.

Avoids all the nonsense rebooting, standing on one foot and rubbing your tummy while patting your hear at the same time. You wont even have to wave a dead chicken over your head twice.

I believe this will solve your issues too

Good luck  and cheers!
2018-3-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-9 15:24
I dont think you can go wrong with this. Its easy to place the tab in developers mode and easy to switch the port settings. Do it a few times and you'll be a pro in no time.

Avoids all the nonsense rebooting, standing on one foot and rubbing your tummy while patting your hear at the same time. You wont even have to wave a dead chicken over your head twice.

You forgot to mention: -   Whilst doing ALL of the above, to keep all fingers and toes crossed for luck
2018-3-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-9 14:52
I would strongly consider trying it. I think the only difference is the cam, therefore the connect issue would be the same.

Cheers

Well I've tried it Mike and it seems to work. Can't get outdoors to fly due to adverse weather, but I've followed the steps you outline and it works - first time.  I've run through the procedure twice, switching the tablet on and off, and launched alternately DJI Go4 and Litchi, which both work first time of asking.
It's not a definitive test, as the tablet often connects without any hiccup, and it's only when it throws a tantrum that I'll be able to give a definitive answer.
But cheers for the tip - much appreciated.  It could well save me a lot of cursing and hair pulling in the future.
2018-3-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Two days now since I took your advice and applied this workaround.  I've performed a boot sequence a dozen times, from cold, and it works like a charm. Still not flying weather, but I'm armed with a new confidence for the next opportunity. Thanks for the tip.
2018-3-11
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-3-11 10:35
Two days now since I took your advice and applied this workaround.  I've performed a boot sequence a dozen times, from cold, and it works like a charm. Still not flying weather, but I'm armed with a new confidence for the next opportunity. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks,

But I dont understand the re booting you are doing. I dont reboot. I just set the USB port protocol and away it goes every time.

????
2018-3-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-11 11:04
Thanks,

But I dont understand the re booting you are doing. I dont reboot. I just set the USB port protocol and away it goes every time.

Once the DJI Go4 App ( or Litchi ) have been used, that App is set as the default.  If the App is then closed after use, unless I clear defaults in settings for either or both of those, AND reboot the tablet, they will not connect again to the RC. Except rarely.  When I'm shutting down the tablet and RC, I routinely clear those defaults in order that the connection should take place smoothly next time.  But it sometimes doesn't.  This is where your suggestion comes in.  Adding that sequence of setting RNDIS after bootup ensures that the RC connects first time.
2018-3-11
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-3-11 11:55
Once the DJI Go4 App ( or Litchi ) have been used, that App is set as the default.  If the App is then closed after use, unless I clear defaults in settings for either or both of those, AND reboot the tablet, they will not connect again to the RC. Except rarely.  When I'm shutting down the tablet and RC, I routinely clear those defaults in order that the connection should take place smoothly next time.  But it sometimes doesn't.  This is where your suggestion comes in.  Adding that sequence of setting RNDIS after bootup ensures that the RC connects first time.

Ok

As long as you understand the reboot is not needed. I  gather you are doing this as a precautionary move.

Me, I just close all apps and go. No reboots.

Cheers
2018-3-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-11 12:10
Ok

As long as you understand the reboot is not needed. I  gather you are doing this as a precautionary move.

I;m just happy it works   Two minutes from bootup to take-off. Some days it could be twenty minutes of fiddling about if the tablet threw a tantrum. Happily that appears to be a thing of the past.
2018-3-11
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-3-11 12:20
I;m just happy it works   Two minutes from bootup to take-off. Some days it could be twenty minutes of fiddling about if the tablet threw a tantrum. Happily that appears to be a thing of the past.

Say,

Based on your user name, Im curious as to where (approx.) you are located.

Maybe you are close to where I am.... Or over seas!

Disregard. I see you are in France!

Cheers
2018-3-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting, i dont have to do this at all, plug in, popup shows, click ok and its workin
2018-3-11
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-3-11 21:12
Interesting, i dont have to do this at all, plug in, popup shows, click ok and its workin

And you are running a Tab S2-8? Correct?
2018-3-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah no, 9.7
2018-3-12
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks,

That's a very interesting fact. Do all S2-9.7's run without issue?

Does yours run well? No issues at all? Smooth video etc...

Thanks.
2018-3-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, works fine once i disabled the default app, but i m on Android 6, 7 was not that clever, not too smooth, so i put on Android 6, it was a version with no rubbish included, then installed  slim version of Gapps (google stuff) the main workings of play store, gmail, youtube and maps, then added FB and messenger, DU recorder, NATS (UK safe flight), DJI go 4, Litchi and UAV Forecast and thats all thats on it, it runs very smoothly and thats with DU running at the same time
2018-3-12
Use props
Mickus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 601677 ft
United States

Thaks for info Mike I have been going crazy with my Tab2 9.7 that used to work perfectly until this week with P3A. I will try this this weekend.
Cheers.
2018-3-30
Use props
Mickus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 601677 ft

Well I tried it, now I connect first time. Thanks very much for the information I was lossing my patience trying to get the camera connection. DJI should take note and put this on the device list page. I have a feeling it will work with all Android devices having the same issue.
2018-3-30
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

That work around seems to work well for me i can live with that thanks for sharing
2018-3-30
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.3
Malaysia

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-3-12 14:51
Thanks,

That's a very interesting fact. Do all S2-9.7's run without issue?

My Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7 needs to reboot every time I shut the DJI Go app down.  I have a Phantom 4 standard.  If I leave it running when I'm changing batteries it has no problem reconnecting when I start the AC back up.  But shut down the RC as well as the AC and a reboot is needed.
2018-4-24
Use props
Mike Snider
lvl.3
Canada

Oscar Myer Posted at 2018-4-24 07:28
My Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7 needs to reboot every time I shut the DJI Go app down.  I have a Phantom 4 standard.  If I leave it running when I'm changing batteries it has no problem reconnecting when I start the AC back up.  But shut down the RC as well as the AC and a reboot is needed.

Even after completing the steps listed here in post one?

Cheers
2018-4-24
Use props
Oscar Myer
lvl.3
Malaysia

Mike Snider Posted at 2018-4-24 17:03
Even after completing the steps listed here in post one?

Cheers
Thanks so much for the comeback!!!

Actually, I haven't even tried the work around steps above.  As I said the other day, if I leave the RC and DJI app running between battery change, no reboot is needed.  Only when I shut everything down and then try starting everything up again, it won't reconnect without a tablet reboot.  And so, in my case it's a simple solution - one that I just stumbled upon.

I'm so sorry that I didn't get back to your reply sooner but the real world came up with some issues that needed my attention, leaving me no time for flying or keeping up with the forum.  But there's better days ahead!!!
2018-4-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

Hi again Mike. I followed your advice and can report back that it works great now for my tablet and the P4 standard - every time.BUT (ain't there always a but!)  
I can't get it to work with my recently-acquired (used) Mavic Pro Platinum.
After a week of head-scratching and trying everything I've read in the manual and here on the forum. I've made no headway.
Any tips you can impart to help me out, once again?
TIA.
2018-6-13
Use props
Tyrone Shoelace
Flight distance : 146745 ft
Canada

The work-around works to connect the RC to my Galaxy Tab A (which is GREAT!), however, the video feed is very choppy and pixelates often. The video recorded on the SD card is fine, and if connect my Samsung S6 to the RC, it is smooth as silk. Must be a transfer issue from the remote to the tablet.
2018-7-12
Use props
Jacob Williams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Does this work on the Dji Spark? With the new app update, when I record, the live stream is terrible laggy on pixelated, I bought an otg cable but ti doesn't seem to work with my Android Tab S2 Version 7.0
2018-10-19
Use props
Freightshaker
lvl.1

United States

Okay just tried something literally too late. I just ordered an iPad, 6th generation, which for me is a huge deal as I've never used one! Up till now always had Linux & Windows (3.0 - 10) on desktops & Windows & Android on laptops, tablets & phones, but Apple products are a foreign language to me so something new to learn. But I digressed, just hours after order the iPad I decided to try the USB 3.0 cable that comes with the Mavic Air, plugged it into the Tab 2 while it was on & low & behold it opens to give me choices of Litchi, Drone Harmony & yes DJI Go 4. No flashing on the screen, no not recognized attempt. Before the work around was start the RC & aircraft, plug in the Tab 2 THEN turn on the Tab 2 last thing.
Now it works the right way!
2019-8-22
Use props
Freightshaker
lvl.1

United States

Okay just tried something literally too late. I just ordered an iPad, 6th generation, which for me is a huge deal as I've never used one! Up till now always had Linux & Windows (3.0 - 10) on desktops & Windows & Android on laptops, tablets & phones, but Apple products are a foreign language to me so something new to learn. But I digressed, just hours after order the iPad I decided to try the USB 3.0 cable that comes with the Mavic Air, plugged it into the Tab 2 while it was on & low & behold it opens to give me choices of Litchi, Drone Harmony & yes DJI Go 4. No flashing on the screen, no not recognized attempt. Before the work around was start the RC & aircraft, plug in the Tab 2 THEN turn on the Tab 2 last thing.
Now it works the right way!
2019-8-22
Use props
Tankertel
lvl.1

Using Samsung Tab S2 running Android 7 (Mavic Pro) having the same issues tried all the advice on this post anybody got anything else I could try as nothing seems to work, need to restore my sanity!
2019-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules