12Next >
3124 41 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489446 ft
United States

was stoked to get the air up and running that is until i found the range to be super limited, i could fly my spark up to 400 feet but the air totaly looses signal around 200 feet, looks like others are having the same problem too. after all the hype and i get this, very disapointing.
2018-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s a pity, you never said what system you are using, I think it’s pretty well known that most people are having no real problems with range and transmission.
Range at 200 ft then you are obviously having other problems because that’s not normal.
2018-3-9
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve flown mine 2 miles away.  Not sure why you are experiencing such limited range. Is it just the video or the RC?
2018-3-9
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

I run mine at 400ft constantly and usually run out to about a mile. I think you need check your settings. Just my two
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What device are you using?
2018-3-9
Use props
LOMELI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 887031 ft
United States

Over 3000 meters away on mine without issues. It’s either your aircraft or a setting/config.
2018-3-9
Use props
Zea Drone
lvl.1

United States

I've gone 500m away or 1640 feet and ok signal, I'm gonna get me those parabolic directional reflectors. They really work as I saw measuring equipment display the difference in signal strength.

You may had either a faulty unit or wrong setup
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Wifi systems sre heavily interfered by other signals. The air is simply a spark improved.
2018-3-9
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-9 16:05
That’s a pity, you never said what system you are using, I think it’s pretty well known that most people are having no real problems with range and transmission.
Range at 200 ft then you are obviously having other problems because that’s not normal.

went through tech support and sent screen shots of wifi, app version info and firmware info, no luck, they had no idea. I have zero stable transmission bands on my screen, all bands are red
2018-3-9
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-9 16:38
What device are you using?

iPhone 7plus, looked at all the wifi signal indicators in the dpi go and all are red, no useable bars.
2018-3-9
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

Zea Drone Posted at 2018-3-9 17:18
I've gone 500m away or 1640 feet and ok signal, I'm gonna get me those parabolic directional reflectors. They really work as I saw measuring equipment display the difference in signal strength.

You may had either a faulty unit or wrong setup

spent an hour with tech support, they could not figure it out, all my wifi bars are red, no green at all.running on iPhone 7plus with latest software, apps and firmware.
2018-3-9
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Well John, the MA is well designed to prevent you from flying in the neighbourhood. The new antenna can pickup signal so excellent that if you fly in upcountry you can fly further than Spark. On the contrary it can pickup excellent interferance in the neighbourhood.
2018-3-9
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Mine flys fine in neighborhood?  My range is great ...exchange it
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-3-9 18:08
spent an hour with tech support, they could not figure it out, all my wifi bars are red, no green at all.running on iPhone 7plus with latest software, apps and firmware.

Please ensure that if is not caused by environment, please adjust your antenna to the right position. If the problem remains, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg Posted at 2018-3-9 17:23
Wifi systems sre heavily interfered by other signals. The air is simply a spark improved.

This. Says it all.
2018-3-9
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had really good luck with my Air -- where the Spark I tried was just the opposite.  Absolutely unreliable.  Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.  Maybe you got a faulty unit and should give it another go?
2018-3-9
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an Air and a Spark and I can assure you that the Air is not just an upgraded spark.  It’s better than the Mavic Pro in just about all respects except range.
2018-3-9
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-3-9 21:21
I have an Air and a Spark and I can assure you that the Air is not just an upgraded spark.  It’s better than the Mavic Pro in just about all respects except range.

Fully agree!  I still chuckle at how frequently people have to chime in that it's nothing more than a glorified Spark.  Anyone that owns both the Air and Pro will know different.  Extended range and Battery life are the only negatives. Faster flying in breezy conditions, better strong wind handling, smaller size, no tap to focus and more camera options including higher bitrate make it a direct comparison to the Pro.  But each to their own!  
As for the OP's issue, yep, something definitely wrong.  You should have trouble free range up to 1,000 metres / yards.   Maybe try a completely different location away from any buildings, in open countryside, and if you still get a poor range, you know it's a fault.
Cheers,
Ian
2018-3-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-9 23:31
Fully agree!  I still chuckle at how frequently people have to chime in that it's nothing more than a glorified Spark.  Anyone that owns both the Air and Pro will know different.  Extended range and Battery life are the only negatives. Faster flying in breezy conditions, better strong wind handling, smaller size, no tap to focus and more camera options including higher bitrate make it a direct comparison to the Pro.  But each to their own!   
As for the OP's issue, yep, something definitely wrong.  You should have trouble free range up to 1,000 metres / yards.   Maybe try a completely different location away from any buildings, in open countryside, and if you still get a poor range, you know it's a fault.
Cheers,

Fully agree with you.
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Nah the air gives 14 mins of flight while the platinum 28 mins. Nothing the air can do differently
2018-3-10
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg Posted at 2018-3-10 01:35
Nah the air gives 14 mins of flight while the platinum 28 mins. Nothing the air can do differently

Not trying to start yet another MA vs MPP comarison here, but I always carry both with me so I always fly them one after the other on the same day and same location. What I'm seeing over the last 50 or so flights on each of them is mostly 17 mins on the Air, and 24 mins on the Platinum. However,  on the very windy days, it's still 16-17 mins for Air; but 20-21 mins for Platinum, so it appears the Air is more energy efficient in strong winds.
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-3-9 20:54
I have had really good luck with my Air -- where the Spark I tried was just the opposite.  Absolutely unreliable.  Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.  Maybe you got a faulty unit and should give it another go?

thanks, I'm gonna give it a go, thinking about doing an exchange
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-3-9 19:23
Mine flys fine in neighborhood?  My range is great ...exchange it

thanks, thats what I am thinking about doing
2018-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-3-9 17:41
went through tech support and sent screen shots of wifi, app version info and firmware info, no luck, they had no idea. I have zero stable transmission bands on my screen, all bands are red

Have you tried to fly in airplane mode?
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-10 05:06
Have you tried to fly in airplane mode?

yes, I'm trying a firmware restore as well, doubtful though, as I mentioned before in the wifi tab all the channels are red and there isn't even an option to select 5.8g to try that
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

thanks to all that replied, here's a screen shot from my iPhone
I tried auto as well of course
2018-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-3-10 05:16
yes, I'm trying a firmware restore as well, doubtful though, as I mentioned before in the wifi tab all the channels are red and there isn't even an option to select 5.8g to try that[view_image]

Try auto it should give you an option. Certainly showing no signal available in that picture.
2018-3-10
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

If you're flying the Mavic Air directly above the remote, keep the antenna on the Air folded (facing down) and remote's antenna pointing up.
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-10 05:30
If you're flying the Mavic Air directly above the remote, keep the antenna on the Air folded (facing down) and remote's antenna pointing up.

yes, done, gonna try again this am
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

I am wondering if it's an actual problem with the remote.
2018-3-10
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-3-10 05:35

Unless you test in a less polluted airspace you cannot be sure. But RC failures have been reported in the past.
2018-3-10
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Sounds like the internal antennae connection on the board inside might be disconnected. Had very similar results with another of my quads and that's what I found when I opened the controller up. If you look at this picture inside the controller (no not DJI) just using as a reference as I suspect these controllers use the same micro cable connectors on the board for the antennae you will notice a grey cable that drops off the board and next to it a black cable with gold connector on the board printed is wifi. Open the controller and look for something like that disconnected. If it is be careful to center the socket over the board and push straight down, you will feel it click.

wifi cable

wifi cable

2018-3-10
Use props
DougBlueSkies
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Do you find the 2 axis gimble better than the 3 axis gimble on the MP along with an RC that doesn’t have a  display readout. Oh and it connects via Wi-fi
2018-3-10
Use props
DougBlueSkies
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Do you find the 2 axis gimble better than the 3 axis gimble on the MP along with an RC that doesn’t have a  display readout. Oh and it connects via Wi-fi. Did I forget nearly double battery time?
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-3-10 05:35

thats what I suspect, I will create a new post when i get the new m/a and let everyone know
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
United States

RL_XXI Posted at 2018-3-10 12:16
Sounds like the internal antennae connection on the board inside might be disconnected. Had very similar results with another of my quads and that's what I found when I opened the controller up. If you look at this picture inside the controller (no not DJI) just using as a reference as I suspect these controllers use the same micro cable connectors on the board for the antennae you will notice a grey cable that drops off the board and next to it a black cable with gold connector on the board printed is wifi. Open the controller and look for something like that disconnected. If it is be careful to center the socket over the board and push straight down, you will feel it click.

returned it for an exchange arriving this week, what you say makes a lot of sense and I was wondering if it was an actual hardware problem. I didn't have any options at all to change the frequency. a lot of grief, all because I want a bit more functionality than my spark so I can get better quality (in theory) photos and videos.
2018-3-10
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Yup, dji strikes Again
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-10 01:49
Not trying to start yet another MA vs MPP comarison here, but I always carry both with me so I always fly them one after the other on the same day and same location. What I'm seeing over the last 50 or so flights on each of them is mostly 17 mins on the Air, and 24 mins on the Platinum. However,  on the very windy days, it's still 16-17 mins for Air; but 20-21 mins for Platinum, so it appears the Air is more energy efficient in strong winds.

The air does 15, platinum does 25 on the same condition. 10 mins is a lot
2018-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-10 01:49
Not trying to start yet another MA vs MPP comarison here, but I always carry both with me so I always fly them one after the other on the same day and same location. What I'm seeing over the last 50 or so flights on each of them is mostly 17 mins on the Air, and 24 mins on the Platinum. However,  on the very windy days, it's still 16-17 mins for Air; but 20-21 mins for Platinum, so it appears the Air is more energy efficient in strong winds.

Reason for this is better known now because of a certain Mr Welsi, MavAir will turn of obstacle avoidance to increase its pitch and speed in the wind where as Mavic Pro can’t do this so is trying to hold its pitch and maintain obstacle avoidance so becomes less efficient into the wind .
2018-3-10
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg Posted at 2018-3-10 14:08
The air does 15, platinum does 25 on the same condition. 10 mins is a lot

Don't get me wrong my friend, I'm one of those who agree that the Air is a little bit 'hyped and exaggerated'. But those flight times I've quoted are objective and  were based on my own observations. By the way, where do you get your numbers? Do you own a Mavic Air?????
2018-3-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules