Corrupted video after underwater crash, even in cache file
969 7 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Hi, I think I did not installed the props properly and my mavic fell into the sea after couple of minutes. I was recording but the video in the sd is corrupted and the cache in the dji go app is also corrupted.

Any experience recovering the files? Why the dji go app also corrupts the video?

IMG_20180310_194538.jpg

PD: I had to swim into frozen water to save my mavic, hahaha and now after some distilled water cleansing I am trying to dry it.

2018-3-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Put it in a packet of rice fully covered it will draw out the water, not sure about the video recovery
2018-3-10
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The video file may corrupt if you turn off the Mavic whilst it's recording. In this case, the Mavic shut down when it crashed, whilst it was recording.
Check your smartphone; the default is to stream a 720p copy of the video and cache it to your phone, so you may still have a video in your phone.  
This is how I go my footage after I lost my Mavic in the 'Dover Incident'
You mention the cache file is also corrupted, but this is physically stored on your phone and if you attach it to a PC and drag the file over, you may be able to retrieve it.
Try VLC Media Player; it's a very good player that handles imperfect files.  And maybe try dropping the file into a video editing software, like PowerDirector (free version is available), to see if you can retrieve elements that way.

Hope your Mavic dries out and the water doesn't corrode things.  
And glad you're taking it on the chin.  No other way; otherwise you go nuts
Cheers
Ian
2018-3-11
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Wellsi Posted at 2018-3-11 00:05
The video file may corrupt if you turn off the Mavic whilst it's recording. In this case, the Mavic shut down when it crashed, whilst it was recording.
Check your smartphone; the default is to stream a 720p copy of the video and cache it to your phone, so you may still have a video in your phone.  
This is how I go my footage after I lost my Mavic in the 'Dover Incident'

Cool, for some reason both files were corrupted.

I found a excellent tool called recover_mp4 https://www.videohelp.com/software/recover-mp4-to-h264 that copies a good file and recreates the broken one. I got part of the footage, but not the last frames when it goes under water
2018-3-11
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eried Posted at 2018-3-11 10:13
Cool, for some reason both files were corrupted.

I found a excellent tool called recover_mp4 https://www.videohelp.com/software/recover-mp4-to-h264 that copies a good file and recreates the broken one. I got part of the footage, but not the last frames when it goes under water

Well that's the best result you could have asked for!  Pleased you managed to get the footage... don't get too sad each time you watch it   

Ian
2018-3-12
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are some tools that can recover a corrupt video, I had it happen before win the spark before they updated the fw that stops recording if you turn the spark off. I'll try and find them and post them on here this afternoon.
2018-3-12
Use props
JasonWilli
lvl.2

United States

Hey Eried,
2018-3-29
Use props
JasonWilli
lvl.2

United States

Hey Eried, As I suggest to you,  use SD card recovery software for recovering corrupt files.  I aready used this software when I had the same problem with my camera gopro sd card.
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules