Spark went rogue!
2181 22 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24869 ft
United States

Hello I am not sure anyone can help me other than tell me what might have gone wrong. I wanted to take my spark up above me to sanp a photo of my neighbor hood. I do have the controller I bought the spark bundle. I had achieve 8 sattelites and everything was good so i lifted off and took it up aroud 150 ft. and I started getting all sort of  warnings but at the same time the sun came from behind the clouds and I could see what the warnings were. I ducked under a tree and looked up only to see the spark take off and sport mode speed even though i did nt have sport mode on. I started to try to get it to return to home but it was saying disconnected. it then went in landing warning but i could not get it to recconect to my controller. After several minutes of trying that i got into my truck and headed to the other side of my neightborhood in the direction it had flown. I was able to receive a video for approx 2 to 3 seconds and it was in a tree somewhere but I coudlnt tell where and then it was lost. I have look for it now for hours and cannot find it.if i go back to my flight path it says it was hovering above me the whole time. but i seen it fly off as did my neighbor.  I also check my find my frone and it says that it s where I took off. i purchased the DJI care refresh insurance for crash replacement but it doesnt cover lost drones. I have been flying this drone now for several months and know that i did everything correct. it had just been updated also. IDK!

2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

oh I forgot to mention that the warning was compass error and weak GPS signal
2018-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Did you try the Find My Drone on the DJI GO 4 app???  Go to page with Spark picture, tap on upper right corner (menu bars), and tap on Find My Drone.
2018-3-10
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

This sounds a lot like some of the recent flyaways and near-flyaways that have been discussed here... Not much you can do, since the warranty also doesn't cover lost drones.

Maybe there's a source of strong magnetic interference in your neighbourhood, like a large concrete structure. This can trigger a series of errors (compass, IMU, GPS, aircraft goes into ATTI mode), and sometimes lead to a flyaway at high speed. At least that's how most of these events happen, maybe yours was different...
2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-10 12:58
Did you try the Find My Drone on the DJI GO 4 app???  Go to page with Spark picture, tap on upper right corner (menu bars), and tap on Find My Drone.

YES and its showing it never left my back yrd. ugh!
2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-3-10 13:00
This sounds a lot like some of the recent flyaways and near-flyaways that have been discussed here... Not much you can do, since the warranty also doesn't cover lost drones.

Maybe there's a source of strong magnetic interference in your neighbourhood, like a large concrete structure. This can trigger a series of errors (compass, IMU, GPS, aircraft goes into ATTI mode), and sometimes lead to a flyaway at high speed. At least that's how most of these events happen, maybe yours was different...

The thing is i have flown from my back yard at least a dozen times with no problems. I flown the DJI Phanthom 3 and the spark with nothing like this ever happening.
2018-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Do you still have the flight path on the map mode???
2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

Yes I do!yes I do!
2018-3-10
Use props
SpeedyBirdy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968002 ft
United States

Please upload the flight log so we can get a better understand of what went wrong and possibly find a solution.
2018-3-10
Use props
fanse89c21ab
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274829 ft
Canada

you mention you saw a few second of it in the trees, I am a fairly new spark flyer, but in the find my drone there is the option about the ecs beeping and lights, assuming your battery is still okay and has not been ejected on impact to ty and help you locate via sound as well as flashing  lights. Look at the map and click on the red triangle showing your aircraft and a side window will appear, there you can turn on esc beeping and light blinking. if you aircraft is still on and you lost it in the last hour there is hope, a spark on idle will last at least 27min if motor is running  and 40 min just the internal fan on at 50% charge. Good luck!
2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

How do I do that?
2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

How do I upload the flight path?
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm so sorry to read your post. If the drone is still in the warranty period, I'll suggest to contact our support and report the accident: https://www.dji.com/support They will help you start a case and arrange data analysis to see the exact status.  
2018-3-10
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

lowcountryquad Posted at 2018-3-10 13:57
How do I upload the flight path?

Go to the following site and follow the directions, then post the resulting URL here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I would also suggest opening a ticket with DJI as DJI Susan has suggested.  However, if you want group feedback, there are lots of people on here that enjoy looking through logs and providing feedback.

If it is in a tree and you got an intermittent connection while it was there, then that GPS location will very likely be found in the FlightRecord logs.

2018-3-10
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

thanks for your help! I was able to get the flight logs downloaded to my computer. I click on upload highlight the last log TXT file then hit open and it says its uploading and loading picture but never gets past that. I waited for hours and i just sits there on that page. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?
2018-3-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

You can't tell from the map its last position????
2018-3-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

lowcountryquad Posted at 2018-3-11 08:09
thanks for your help! I was able to get the flight logs downloaded to my computer. I click on upload highlight the last log TXT file then hit open and it says its uploading and loading picture but never gets past that. I waited for hours and i just sits there on that page. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

It shouldn't take more than just a few minutes.  Did you close the page and retry?
2018-3-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-11 12:01
You can't tell from the map its last position????

Once it goes into ATTI mode, the app doesn't show any updated GPS information.  However, when looking in the log files, the GPS position is recorded in there.
2018-3-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

fanse89c21ab Posted at 2018-3-10 13:55
you mention you saw a few second of it in the trees, I am a fairly new spark flyer, but in the find my drone there is the option about the ecs beeping and lights, assuming your battery is still okay and has not been ejected on impact to ty and help you locate via sound as well as flashing  lights. Look at the map and click on the red triangle showing your aircraft and a side window will appear, there you can turn on esc beeping and light blinking. if you aircraft is still on and you lost it in the last hour there is hope, a spark on idle will last at least 27min if motor is running  and 40 min just the internal fan on at 50% charge. Good luck!

I never heard of tapping on the red aircraft icon before...this might be a good opportunity for Kloo Gee to do a short video on Find My Drone.
2018-3-11
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

8 gps inadequate. i do not take off until the count reaches 12, largely thanks to advice i've picked up here. rth should have worked, and that guy might be closer to home than you think.
2018-3-11
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to all for your replies and advice. especially a big shout out to DJI Susan for recommending filing a fly away case. DJI has agreed to it being a fly away and is replacing my drone.
Now I just need to find out anything that I can do to prevent this in the future.
2018-3-16
Use props
lowcountryquad
lvl.1
United States

Solestacz Posted at 2018-3-11 12:40
8 gps inadequate. i do not take off until the count reaches 12, largely thanks to advice i've picked up here. rth should have worked, and that guy might be closer to home than you think.

it started out with 8 on take of but had 15 when things started going wrong
2018-3-16
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

lowcountryquad Posted at 2018-3-16 11:25
it started out with 8 on take of but had 15 when things started going wrong

roger that. just brainstorming along w/things....hate hearing about these events - do all i can to avoid them. very glad to know DJI has your back on it!
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules