Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Losing site of your drone - do goggles help you fly further?
928 9 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
Second Officer

United States

I have only 4-5 hours of flight time under my belt now so I am a rank beginner, and have flown enough now that I panicked once or twice when I lost site of my drone (I know, that's a no-no). I tried to figure out where I was by looking at my mobile screen, but I couldn't initially figure out exactly where I was or how to fly back. I saw the horizontal distance indicator and a few other things that helped, as well as the map. I eventually used these clues to figure things out in the end without hitting the panick button RTH, but this leaves me wondering about whether the goggles help flying at greater distances where you can't see your drone.

So... Would using goggles help me fly further distances without losing track of where I am?

Also, I have this issue where I tend to get left/right backwards when I'm flying towards myself. I'm getting better with practice, but does this issue go away with goggles?
2018-3-10
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I've always wondered what people want with goggles. With them mounted over the eyes, I imagine losing one's VLOS. I can be wrong. I have not seen a couple in reality, but I guess that the visual of the monitor mounted in conjunction with the RC simply moves up in front of the eyes, making it easier to see the details.
2018-3-10
Use props
Danger Lampost
Second Officer

United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-3-10 16:12
I've always wondered what people want with goggles. With them mounted over the eyes, I imagine losing one's VLOS. I can be wrong. I have not seen a couple in reality, but I guess that the visual of the monitor mounted in conjunction with the RC simply moves up in front of the eyes, making it easier to see the details.

I could well be wrong, but what I imagine is that wearing goggles removes VLOS altogether from the experience, immersing me in a first-person point of view. In my imagination (which could be wrong), I think this is less distracting because you're not stuck going back and forth between your mobile phone / controller and your VLOS. More like a heads up display on a fighter jet or car. I see videos of all the FPV racers and they seem to have awesome control over their craft.

Also, I wonder if being immersed in the first person point of view would solve my left/right mix-up when flying towards myself because I would remain oriented to the drone's point of view.
2018-3-10
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

According to the FAA  ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... _Model_Aircraft.pdf )

Visual line-of-sight:
While flying your drone you must to be able to see it at all times using only your natural vision (which includes glasses and contacts, but not first person view goggles or binoculars).  

2018-3-10
Use props
Danger Lampost
Second Officer

United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-3-10 16:39
According to the FAA  ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/media/Definitions_terms_Special_Rule_for_Model_Aircraft.pdf )

Visual line-of-sight:

So then how are goggles legal? I must be missing something obvious.
2018-3-10
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-3-10 17:53

In the U.K you need an 'Observer' standing next to you when using Goggles legally, who keeps the aircraft in their VLOS and advises you of any potential conflicts.
It is likely similar in U.S.A.
2018-3-10
Use props
Outie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-3-10 17:53

If you fly for fun under special recreation rules it’s not legal to fly with goggles at all.

You need to be flying under part 107 plus having a spotter/observer.
2018-3-10
Use props
Beeworld
Second Officer
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

Or fly indoors where FAA (CASA here in Australia) regs don't apply. Goggles certainly help the left / right confusion thing when flying towards yourself, and allow amazing acrobatic manoeuvres such as flying through objects, however may not always help flying back to your home point! Don't be shy about using the RTH feature - just ensure your default return altitude is appropriate for your environment, and remember you need to press and hold the button on the RC, a quick stab doesn't work as I discovered the first time I lost VLOS with my Mavic Pro .... now that got my heart racing!
2018-3-10
Use props
burnham187
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

This is very interesting.  I had always wondered about the always having visual with the drone but how is that possible with goggles.  
2018-3-10
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

First, trust your screen on your phone or iPad. There’s an H with a circle around it....that is where you are....the arrow looking thing on the screen is your craft. If you lose line of site simple fly to the H...you will,hear it before you see it....your screen is the same thing you see in the goggles without being immersed and the goggles don’t have some of the heads up items the screen does anyway. If you get lost just don’t change your altitude, slowly yaw around back towards the H and come home...go up and try it a few times until you get comfy. As far as the goggles...I love mine...no more screen reflection and you actually feel like you are onboard. Yes the left/right orientation is as you see it......I also like my goggles for filming...I find I can get closer, smother and better video or shots with them...I can do,better on my framing too...which is important because if you want good video, you’re focusing on your screen anyway....disclaimer, my wife has her own MP and acts as my “observer” when I’m out filming anyway.....one thing you might consider are strobe lights..the Mavic or Air are very easy to lose sight of....stobes help,you keep track of it....I have red strobes on the rear and white on the front for my orientation....I hope this helps a little
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules