New CrystalSky - failed on first flight using CS with GO4
2564 28 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Everything seemed perfect during initial part of test flight using CrystalSky running GO4 app.
After few test maneuvers, fly drone over to place of interest, about then CrystalSky reports loss of connection.
CrystalSky is not showing any updates and video stream is frozen.
Try RTH, but I can't tell Drone is responding.

Start moving quickly towards drone and while moving around chainlink fence that might have caused interference.
Try RTH again, but I can't tell Drone is responding.
Thankfully, after what seems like forever, I hear whine of drones props.
Shortly, afterward Drone makes a perfect RTH and landing.
CrystalSky still shows same screen as it did when things went wrong.

After trying several different touch-screens and button pushes, I find CrystalSky is Hung.
CrystalSky won't even respond to normal On/Off button push.
CS finally responds to long hold of On/Off button and shutsdown.

Moving insdie, I go through a complete Remote Control power-up, CrystalSky power-up, and finally Drone power-up.
Nothing appears wrong.  

I go through several CrystalSky settings, like screen brightness, sound, and all appears normal.
Start checking settings of Remote Control with GO4 app, making a few minor tweaks for C1 & C2.
As I am checking settings of drone, the CrystalSky looses connection, and hangs again.

Only thing I noticed about CrystalSky before it hung again, was Touch-Screen would not always sense a touch or would not respond to change in a slider position.

The air temperature inside was 72.1 degrees Farenheight.  
The hottest spot I found on CrystalSky was 98.9 degrees Farenheight.

Shortly after getting CrystalSky, I did an update on CrystalSky to ensure it had latest Firmware.  
CrystalSky made at least one update for itself.  Believe other updates were for GO4 app and Flysafe database.

It wasn't until today, that I was able to get a chance to make a test flight using CrystalSky.  High winds, rain, high winds, unplanned car problem prevnting a drive to Safe place to fly.

At this point, I don't dare use CrystalSky to fly drone.  

Has anyone else seen CrystalSky Hang, with screen still lit up?

2018-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Tried a different USB-A (bottom of remote) to USB-C cable (bottom of CrystalSky), while DJI GO4 app was running and Drone was powered up, sitting on a table.
After looking at a few settings, and using remote to tilt camera up and down, CrysalSky Hung (or crashed).  Would not respond to button pushes, including to push of power button.

Using original USB-A to USB-C cable, after a forced shutdown, power on, new firmware was detected for Drone, firmware was succesfully downloaded from internet, uploaded to Drone, and installed on Drone.  
Within a few seconds of entering DJI GO4 app's flight screen, the screen went dark, and screen asking about updating Drone firmware came up.  The CrystalSky initially appeared to be Hung, would not respond to Buttons (change screen brightness), after about 15-seconds it went back to DJI GO app flight screen and then completely Hung (or crashed).

Tried Micro-USB (side of remote) cable to Micro-USB (side of CrystalSky) while DJI GO4 app was running and Drone was powered up, sitting on a table.
Looked first at location Map, next looking at camera stream, then looking at settings, and trying to return from settings, CrystalSky Hung (or crashed).

This time, CrystalSky would not respond to a a Long-hold of Power button.  Took two attempts of removing and replacing CrystalSky battery to get CrystalSky to respond to pressing of Power button.

2018-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

After doing a Factory Reset, and getting CrystalSky connected to WiFi, GO4 updated, and my DJI Login working.

CrystalSky hung while using built-in Web Browser.
CrystalSky was not connected to DJI Remote Control and GO4 app was not in use.

At least with this hang, the CrystalSky did respond to Power button.  But it did not reboot or power off.  
Instead CrystalSky went to previous Web page.  Not Web page that was showing at time of hang.

2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-11 19:18
Tried a different USB-A (bottom of remote) to USB-C cable (bottom of CrystalSky), while DJI GO4 app was running and Drone was powered up, sitting on a table.
After looking at a few settings, and using remote to tilt camera up and down, CrysalSky Hung (or crashed).  Would not respond to button pushes, including to push of power button.

Hedge, the situation was forwarded and we will have a new firmware to optimize the disconnection problem. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

May I ask which model of CrystalSky you are reporting about?
2018-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 03:30
May I ask which model of CrystalSky you are reporting about?

Ultra Bright 7.85"
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Thank you, it seems that these still have some problems. My 7.85 high brightness works perfectly.
2018-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 05:17
Thank you, it seems that these still have some problems. My 7.85 high brightness works perfectly.

"My 7.85 high brightness works perfectly."

Oh sure, rub it in.
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-15 05:52
"My 7.85 high brightness works perfectly."

Oh sure, rub it in.

I sincerely apologise, definitely did not want to increase your pain!
2018-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

My CrystalSky Ultra-brite was delivered today to DJI's repair center in CA.
Will be interesting to see what repair center finds and has to say.
2018-3-21
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hopefully, they will just send you a new one. Good luck
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Forestjim Posted at 2018-3-21 18:40
Hopefully, they will just send you a new one. Good luck

Thanks!
2018-3-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

This seems to be the same problem I've experienced this last week with my CrystalSky 5.5inch - basically multiple data disconnects even when the Mavic is just 6 metres away. The point proven when I switched over to using an iPhone 8 - perfect solid connection with all signals and without dropout. I flew 10 kilometres total distance over two flights with two batteries. CrystalSky OS ver. V02,05.00.00 Go4 app ver. v4.2.4 (276-dpadcs).
2018-3-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-21 14:25
My CrystalSky Ultra-brite was delivered today to DJI's repair center in CA.
Will be interesting to see what repair center finds and has to say.

Notice from DJI that my CrystalSky Ultra-brite has been repaired.  
And will be shipped out within three business days.

Back to twiddling my Joy-stick fingers.  
2018-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-29 12:23
Notice from DJI that my CrystalSky Ultra-brite has been repaired.  
And will be shipped out within three business days.

CrystalSky Ub has been shipped out.
Supposed to arrive Tuesday.
Yeah!  

2018-3-30
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
United States

Please let us know what was fixed if they tell you and if they repaired your CS or sent you a new one.

Thanks
2018-3-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Far_North Posted at 2018-3-30 12:04
Please let us know what was fixed if they tell you and if they repaired your CS or sent you a new one.

Thanks

CrystalSky was delivered today, 04/03/2018.

DJI never said what was wrong with my CrystalSky Ultra-bright.

As for whether DJI repaired or replaced, the external sticker in battery compartment has a different serial number.  

However, I can't get to point of looking at internal SN# to be sure.  Stuck in setup mode.  Because CrystalSky I got back has problems with Touch-Screen input along the top of screen.

It took repeated touches on screen to get to where CrystalSky asks about WiFi - Open WLAN to check Wi-Fi List.  More touching did nothing.  I could go backwards with Return key.  I powered CrystalSky down, and tried again.
CrystalSky started setup over.  I got to screen about user agreement acceptance - DJI User Agreement and Privacy Terms.  But ran into same problem with Touch-Screen not taking touch input at the Top.  

I gave up at that point.  There is no way I am going to fight with Touch-Screen not taking input when flying.

While I was waiting to get my CrystalSky back, I bought DJI's official CrystalSky Mavic/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket.  I wanted to be ready to fly!  I had a un-official mounting bracket, but found it was to flimsy.  I should have held off buying offical bracket.  Cause I now have a useless expensive power-suppy, a useless not-so cheap protective cover for CS-Ub, a useless official mounting bracket, a flimsy mounting bracket, and two long USB cables.

2018-4-3
Use props
fansa017bfa8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175492 ft
United States

Interesting, I have a DJI Crystal Sky mounting bracket for my P4 and Spark. I fined them to very sturdy and well made.
2018-4-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fansa017bfa8 Posted at 2018-4-3 16:29
Interesting, I have A DJI Crystal Sky mounting bracket for my P4 and Spark. I fined them to very sturdy and well made.

The flimsy bracket was not a DJI official mounting bracket.
Which is what led me to buying the Official DJI mounting bracket, while Crystalsky was in for repair or replacement.
2018-4-3
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-3 16:45
The flimsy bracket was not a DJI official mounting bracket.
Which is what led me to buying the Official DJI mounting bracket, while Crystalsky was in for repair or replacement.

Damn!!!, so sorry to hear about your numerous problems with the 7.85 Ultra.
So, what are your options now?
Send it back for warranty work again?
At this point, they should offer you a full refund, or possibly the option of getting a new and improved version they might have coming out.
Such a sad situation for a very expensive piece of equipment that was supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology.

2018-4-3
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-3 15:46
CrystalSky was delivered today, 04/03/2018.

DJI never said what was wrong with my CrystalSky Ultra-bright.

I feel your pain.
2018-4-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-4-3 19:40
Damn!!!, so sorry to hear about your numerous problems with the 7.85 Ultra.
So, what are your options now?
Send it back for warranty work again?

I have requested a refund.  Whether it will be granted depends on several things.
1) Someone above DJI phone support has to agree to consider the request.
2) I have to fill out some paper work, and paperwork must pass muster with DJI.
3) Assuming paper work passes, DJI sends me a Pre-paid UPS shipping label.
4) I pack up everything that came with CrystalSky Ub, and ship it to DJI.
5) Once DJI receives shipment, DJI will open shipment, and make sure everything is there, and not damaged.
6) From what I got, DJI will then test the CrystalSky Ub to verify new problem.
7) Assuming all is acceptable to DJI, at some point in time I will get my $999.00 back.

If it was only a couple hundred dollars, I would proceed with purchasing a replacement Smart-device / monitor.
Being it is way more, I will have to wait till DJI makes a decision, and then wait till refund is in bank.

2018-4-3
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

I just went to the store and checked the specs. on all of the CS units.
I think in my opinion, I have found a culprit contributing to the problems of the ultra-bright units. All of the units come with 4gb of ram. The high brightness is 1000 nit of brightness. The ultra brightness is 2000 nit of brightness. In my opinion, the ultra bright should be loaded with much more ram to handle that extra 1000 nit of brightness. At least double which would be 8gb of ram.
So, in my opinion it is just like a computer trying to run a complex program without enough ram. Boom!, it crashes!
So, just my opinion, but these issues will never be resolved with software upgrades and they need more ram added to them.
2018-4-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-4-3 21:03
I just went to the store and checked the specs. on all of the CS units.
I think in my opinion, I have found a culprit contributing to the problems of the ultra-bright units. All of the units come with 4gb of ram. The high brightness is 1000 nit of brightness. The ultra brightness is 2000 nit of brightness. In my opinion, the ultra bright should be loaded with much more ram to handle that extra 1000 nit of brightness. At least double which would be 8gb of ram.
So, in my opinion it is just like a computer trying to run a complex program without enough ram. Boom!, it crashes!

The amount of RAM (memory) is not tied to Screen brightness.  Screen brightness comes from brightness of backlight.  

Requirment of more RAM would come into play if Screen resolution was increased.  With Screen resolution not necessarily tied to screen size.
2018-4-3
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-3 22:36
The amount of RAM (memory) is not tied to Screen brightness.  Screen brightness comes from brightness of backlight.  

Requirment of more RAM would come into play if Screen resolution was increased.  With Screen resolution not necessarily tied to screen size.

Thanks for the explanation.
But, you might probably agree that the hardware in the ultra-bright should have been designed completely different than the high brightness.
It seems to be basically the same with the difference being higher level of brightness that surely must be taxing the current build.
Also, it seems as though the unit was not tested properly putting it through it's paces. Possibly, the high brightness was working very well and they just accepted the fact that the ultra-bright would perform in the same manner.

If you remember, I have the same as yours and still have not unsealed it..........lol
I am thinking of asking to return it for a refund or trading it for high brightness unit.
What do you think?
2018-4-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Rickyber Posted at 2018-4-4 07:35
Thanks for the explanation.
But, you might probably agree that the hardware in the ultra-bright should have been designed completely different than the high brightness.
It seems to be basically the same with the difference being higher level of brightness that surely must be taxing the current build.

From my very limited experience with CrystalSky Ultra-bright, I felt it needed a faster processor.
However, without full access to a CrystalSky whereby I could run Speed tests, and monitor GO / GO4 apps, it would be best guess.

Various aspects of a system can cause bottlenecks (points of slow downs).  And different programs may or may not be effected by those bottlenecks.  I once worked a problem whereby one program was not effected, but that program was effecting other programs.  Weird issue, but it came down to a program causing a Hot-Spot (overly busy) I/O control node between an external interface.  Took moving assigned location of I/O control node.

2018-4-4
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-4 18:53
From my very limited experience with CrystalSky Ultra-bright, I felt it needed a faster processor.
However, without full access to a CrystalSky whereby I could run Speed tests, and monitor GO / GO4 apps, it would be best guess.

Thanks for the reply and opinions.
I think the bottom line is they certainly dropped the ball on the ultra bright. It certainly should have been tested more under many extreme conditions. Then, they might have found out it should have been beefed up more than the standard brightness and possibly even have it's own firmware.
2018-4-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Being I am in Hold mode, submitted paperwork, now waiting.

I decided to try a few things with CrystalSky Ub.  Like swapping battery, power-cycling, couple reboots.

Once again very top of screen was not taking Touch-Screen input.  Like before, could not get past "Agree" of License Agreement.
After trying keys, key combos, light touch, heavy touch, quick touch, slow touch, ..., I found that if I backed up one screen then went to next step several times, CrystalSky would eventually accept a Touch at Top of screen.  Took numerous attempts to Toggle WiFi on, and then get touch screen to accept "Next".
(A few beers may have helped, past the time.)  

Fast forwarding, I got replacement CrystalSky connected to WiFi and Registered.  Now waiting on CrystalSky which just came from DJI, to install latest update for its firmware.  
Running through my head is, why don't they send the things out with latest firmware?

Talk about slow download of 882MB on a 168Mbps (down) connection, over WiFi that shows speed of 165Mbps by CrystalSky, only 50% done after half-hour.
Looks like DJI's servers are slow, around 4Mbps.
(Time for more beers!)  

Not sure where this is leading to now.  Have to see if some how latest firmware fixes the issue with Top of Touchscreen.

Very bothersome to read where others had Lock-ups or Freezes, that were resolved by Firmware update that was meant to fix other problems.
2018-4-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Well this is interesting:Crystal Sky touch screen problem

rfc: During setup, the "buttons" in the upper corners of the screen seemed  very un-responsive. At one point, to move to the next screen (after  "wi-fi" I think), I tapped multiple times and the screen went black.

Lhemmerich: I had the same problem with my new one  I came to the conclusion that the processor is just slow during this  inital setup. After I got it setup and flying it seemed to function  ok..no other slow taps

Cyberpower678: Same.  Definitely not a touch screen issue.  The setup process is a bit unresponsive.  Nothing a FW update can’t fix.

superdave5050: think that was my post and yes the initial setup top corner areas were  not working like you’ve experienced. Fear not though after a few try’s  and creative ways of trying to touch the corners I somehow made it  through the first setup. Do the firmware update once setup is done I I  haven’t had any trouble since.

Leading to: Screen sensitivity settings, are there any ?

Problem has been around since December 2017, and DJI does not know about it?
2018-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules