Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First Crash
953 12 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
unhommelibre
First Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

I've been so nervous about losing and crashing the Spark. Now my first crash is out of the way.

This afternoon I went out and decided I would try to fly the drone about 1000 feet away from me. Before today the furthest I let it go was about 500 feet. So it was 1000 ft away and I brought it back towards me.  When it was near me again, I turned the drone and flew in a different direction. I lost sight of the drone and turned the remote in the direction I thought the drone was and lost the video connection for a few seconds when the connection came back I began lowering the drone. Lost video again and when it came back I saw it got a tree limb and fall to the ground on it's back. I began walking to where I thought the drone crashed and if it hasn't been for a man who saw it fall I'm not sure if I would have found it.  

The Spark seems to be in pretty good shape, just a small nick on one of the propellors.  It was only about 15 ft. off the ground when it hit the limb. I'll have to fire it up tomorrow and make sure it's okay. I'm pretty nervous about flying again.

I should have hit RTH when I lost sight of it. The crash was completely my fault.  Now I have to go out and try again. I'm glad it came down somewhere safe.
2018-3-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lucky for us, the Spark is a very robust little thing!
2018-3-10
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

I have found (thankfully) that the Spark is very forgiving.  I have nailed  wall at about 15 mph, had the drone blow over and scoot across the pavement about 100' and had it land on a tree (and then fall nearly 20 feet) and all I have to show for it is 2 broken props.  Again, I am still learning how to fly this drone and hopefully I have these tragedies behind me.  I would definitely recommend getting a few sets of spare props and a good set of prop guards!  I hope it gets better.
2018-3-10
Use props
The Bash's
Second Officer

United States

It is moments like that, that I always hit the record button... At least then you would have been able to truly after action your crash.... Oh and we would get to see as well.  Just remember to set your RTH height higher than anything you will have to fly over to get back home.  I learned that the hard way, right into a water tower.  
2018-3-10
Use props
Ram-UK
Captain
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Nice to hear you got your Spark back with minimal damage.

One think I realised with my Spark is that’s so small and easy to loose if I flew further than couple of hundred meters and specially the background area is darker.
But it’s not my Spark’s fault I blame my eyesight

Happy droning
2018-3-11
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-3-10 21:02
It is moments like that, that I always hit the record button... At least then you would have been able to truly after action your crash.... Oh and we would get to see as well.  Just remember to set your RTH height higher than anything you will have to fly over to get back home.  I learned that the hard way, right into a water tower.

I have the video. I just haven't been able to review it yet. I'll try and post it today.  
2018-3-11
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Many crashes and learnings curves to come. But keep enjoying the Spark. Experience comes with time and patience.
2018-3-11
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
United States

unhommelibre Posted at 2018-3-11 04:32
I have the video. I just haven't been able to review it yet. I'll try and post it today.

I guess I don't have video of the crash. The video ended before I began lowering it.
2018-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

First thing to do when you lose transmission, let go of the sticks don’t panic aircraft will hold its position, you should always have an idea of what your telemetry readings were like height distance is ,try to figure where your aircraft might be if it’s reasonably close by try walking towards it to see if you can regain signal, if your happy that RTH will not be colliding with obstacles hit RTH .
But first always lay off the sticks.
2018-3-11
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-11 06:40
First thing to do when you lose transmission, let go of the sticks don’t panic aircraft will hold its position, you should always have an idea of what your telemetry readings were like height distance is ,try to figure where your aircraft might be if it’s reasonably close by try walking towards it to see if you can regain signal, if your happy that RTH will not be colliding with obstacles hit RTH .
But first always lay off the sticks.

That's great advice. Thanks.
2018-3-11
Use props
The Bash's
Second Officer

United States

I panic when it is out of the line of sight and enters ATTI mode, I quickly turn around and fly back home.  From what I have learned ATTI and OPTI mode are when fly aways can occur.  I would much rather fly it dead stick if I can see it.  
2018-3-11
Use props
Mr Sparkle
Second Officer
Australia

Spark is a feisty little drone, I crashed it numerous times and it just keeps going.

Watch this video of people who bought the Spark just to damage and crashed it:

2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

unhommelibre Posted at 2018-3-11 04:32

Sorry for your crash. I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules