iPhone disconnecting from DJI Mavic Pro! Any solutions?
6462 12 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I was using my Mavic Pro today and I had the worst panic moment when the DJI Go app came up with a "disconnected from the done" on my iPhone. I was over water and initially didn't realise that I could still control the drone from the Remote Controller. I unplugged the Mavic Pro RC lightning cable from the controll (with it still plugged into the phone) and had to do this two time and it reconnected. I did have a case on at the time but I've never had a issue with this in the past. I'm on the latest firmware on my iPhone 7 and on the DJI Mavic, RC and batteries. I've attached a screenshot when the phone disconnected

I'm thinking of replacing the Mavic Pro RC lightning cable but does anyone know if this is covered by warrany, as I've only had the drone since Jan this year.
Has anyone had this issue before and found a good solution?

Thanks!

The moment when my phone disconnected

The moment when my phone disconnected
2018-3-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That is why it is so important to stay in LOS at all time. Stay cool, read the manual, which would have told you that you can control the drone by remote with even turning the app on. I regards to disconnection, what type of Iphone, OS etc. would help. Also make sure you force closed all the apps except the DJI app before you fly.
2018-3-10
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I use a full USB cable (connected to the remote just beneath the phone) instead of the supplied cable.  I've read others who had a problem with the cable that plugs into the side of the remote.  Finally, every couple of months, I go out and invoke a "Return to home" just to be sure that I'm ready to do it quickly and correctly should the need arise.  Stay "refreshed" on that move.  
2018-3-10
Use props
tylow7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35433 ft
United States

I'm having the same exact issue. I have a IPhone 7+ running IOS 11.2.6. Literally as of 3/11/2018 my mavic is only 28 days old. Should I use the USB port on the controller instead of using the provided wire?
2018-3-11
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I'd use the usb port on the base of the RC. This is the one used when connecting a Chrystalsky monitor and seems reliable. One thing I now also do is turn off the WiFi on the plugged-in device - be it iPhone or Chrystalsky, as with the WiFi on there seems to be a signal clash on the RC - such that control switches out of one (GO4 app) and then back, and if the re-connect is slow, RTH is invoked by the drone.
2018-3-11
Use props
burnham187
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I was having this issue as well it would disconnect, I would reconnect by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable just to have it disconnect again about a minute or two later.  This is with a brand new mavic pro.  What I ended up doing was putting my iPhone6s in airplane mode and absolutely no more disconnects.  Try this and see if it helps as it sure helped me.  I think the issue has to do with the WiFi interfering with the remote somehow.  By putting it in airplane mode it turns off any possible interference.  Give it a try and let me know if it works like it worked for me.  Here is a link to the thread I also started with the same exact issue.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1243485
2018-3-11
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Mini.  
Since I don't know what your pre-flight checklist includes, I have a few things to suggest that might have contributed to the problem.  
1) Put my phone into Airplane mode,
2) make sure all Apps that are/were running in the background have been closed,
3) I completely turn off my phone, then on again
4) I again check to make sure there's nothing running in the background and Airplane is still on.  
In additon, I check to see that my home WiFi is not set as the auto default WiFi.  That way if GO 4 does disconnect I can re-connect without the phone searching -and perhaps linking- to my home WiFi.  Finally, I purchased a longer Phantom cable (USB to Lightening) so I can use either an iPad Mini or iPhone without having to carry a separate cable.  I use the USB on the bottom of the controller.  

Right now you can buy one, get one free on the DJI webstore.  ( March 11, 2018 )

https://store.dji.com/product/rc-cable?vid=21681

PS - I use the extra as my OTG cable on my Spark (yes, it works with iPhone 7) :-)
2018-3-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2018-3-10 20:10
That is why it is so important to stay in LOS at all time. Stay cool, read the manual, which would have told you that you can control the drone by remote with even turning the app on. I regards to disconnection, what type of Iphone, OS etc. would help. Also make sure you force closed all the apps except the DJI app before you fly.

Yeah I was staying LOS, thankfully.
I’m using an iPhone 7 with the newest OS. I’ve got a feeling  it’s due to me not taking the case off?
2018-3-11
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

WebParrot Posted at 2018-3-11 08:14
Hi Mini.  
Since I don't know what your pre-flight checklist includes, I have a few things to suggest that might have contributed to the problem.  
1) Put my phone into Airplane mode,

Hi,

I’ve read a few comments about people putting their phones into airplane mode.
Can I ask why you do this?

Also thanks for your feedback! I’ve never shut down the other background apps before but I’ll give that a go.
2018-3-11
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Practice flying in manual mode. Once you can do this then any disconnection in the future will not make you wet your shorts.......As long as you can still see your drone that is. If you are out of LOS and no vid link then you are pretty much stuffed.
2018-3-11
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had two disconnects recently, all with the latest DJI 4 app and firmware. Both on Android.  Good advice above keeping in line of site and practice flying without looking at the app. Always make sure that you allow enough satellites and record your home point just in case you have to activate Return to Home.
2018-3-11
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

I'm no expert but here are some plausible causes I read here.
First flight new MP with iPhone 6S+, in LOS and distance only a hundred feet or so, Alt 200Ft.
One word "Disconnected" HUD remained, video link fail black screen.
RTH initiated, MP returned safely, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" lol
Took off same thing happened, RTH worked, noticed phone was hot on the back, checked temp 54C.

Possible causes after hours of Forum reading.
1. The lightning cable on the side is virtually a Ribbon with no shielding and I was taking off only 150Ft from some 25Kw power lines strong EMR can cause this.
2. I did not have Aeroplane Mode selected.
3. It was a hot day and even a powerful phone is working hard Receiving and Saving all those video frames as well as everything else it has to do.

Remedies:
1. WiFi off.
2. Aeroplane Mode On.
3. Got a quality USB to tablet cable, a real Apple One that does not have Cheese insulation and plug it in to the bottom Controller Port.
4. Bought a Mint iPad AIR2 for $300 from a Refurbisher it runs at 31C when the air temp is 31C. (And has a brighter screen than a Mini.)

Have not had a single "Disconnected" since these changes. I believe these steps can eliminate most Disconnections and if they don't they will take you closer to the problem source by eliminating the most common.

(There are several types of DISCONNECT and each can have more than one cause though not necessarily simultaneously so it's a puzzle that sometimes has to be solved only One step at a time.)

Good Luck, stay in LOS until you find the bug.
2018-3-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mini-G Posted at 2018-3-11 15:13
Yeah I was staying LOS, thankfully.
I’m using an iPhone 7 with the newest OS. I’ve got a feeling  it’s due to me not taking the case off?

Good!

I have been flying the MP for almost a year and a half and NEVER had any disconnect using the original cable, IPhone6s or MINI4.

Am still on hacked .700 with no problems!

Force close all apps except GO4.

Check my FLYING area using UAV FORECAST.

Download local map and then I turned ON Airplane mode.

I physically check the MP before and after I fly.

In the app, I check the battery level and status, height, distance, compass etc.

Never take off, off or near metal.

Always let it hover for a minute or two after take off and then I fly.

2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules