M200 drifting sideways, not flying straight ... solved!
2513 12 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Not a big deal, but ... Everything seems OK, sensors readings fine ... Throttle stick straight forward and the drone is drifting to the left badly ... Careful IMU and compass calibration fixed the issue partially, but still the drone flies sideways - like a puppy - and drifts to left. After stop she's trying to correct the position shifting to right a bit, but that's annoying behavior ...
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your sharing. If you encounter the problem again, please keep us updated.
2018-3-11
Use props
jstocker68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1739 ft

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-11 23:41
Thanks for your sharing. If you encounter the problem again, please keep us updated.

Mine is doing the same thing. I am flying an M210. I have re-calibrated the IMU, Compass, Cendence, CrystalSky. Sometimes it drifts to the right, sometimes to the left, sometimes it goes straight. I am going to try and calibrate the IMU one more time and see if that helps.  I am also flying it in no wind.
2018-3-17
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

jstocker68 Posted at 2018-3-17 12:33
Mine is doing the same thing. I am flying an M210. I have re-calibrated the IMU, Compass, Cendence, CrystalSky. Sometimes it drifts to the right, sometimes to the left, sometimes it goes straight. I am going to try and calibrate the IMU one more time and see if that helps.  I am also flying it in no wind.

Could you check if this also happen when you're in ATI ?
2018-3-18
Use props
jstocker68
lvl.1

United States

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-18 22:54

I have not yet. I will give that a shot. I calibrated the IMU again and it appears to be better.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

jstocker68 Posted at 2018-3-17 12:33
Mine is doing the same thing. I am flying an M210. I have re-calibrated the IMU, Compass, Cendence, CrystalSky. Sometimes it drifts to the right, sometimes to the left, sometimes it goes straight. I am going to try and calibrate the IMU one more time and see if that helps.  I am also flying it in no wind.

If you are updating the firmware and recalibrating with no result, consider having a technician look at the aircraft.
2018-3-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-19 10:51
If you are updating the firmware and recalibrating with no result, consider having a technician look at the aircraft.

Mark, as for now this drifting is one only major issue with my M200. Right of the box and after all necessary FW updates/RC calibration etc. it was terrible and scary. I did IMU and compass calibration and it helped a lot, but still the issue is noticeable. It seems like the drone flies diagonally, like a puppy. Interestingly, in straight backward flight the drone is passing above exactly the same home point, but remains in rotated position.

I'm going to perform another RC and IMU calibration, but if that will not eliminate flying sideways, perhaps I may ask for technical intervention.

Regards,
Matthew
2018-3-19
Use props
jstocker68
lvl.1

United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-19 18:04
Mark, as for now this drifting is one only major issue with my M200. Right of the box and after all necessary FW updates/RC calibration etc. it was terrible and scary. I did IMU and compass calibration and it helped a lot, but still the issue is noticeable. It seems like the drone flies diagonally, like a puppy. Interestingly, in straight backward flight the drone is passing above exactly the same home point, but remains in rotated position.

I'm going to perform another RC and IMU calibration, but if that will not eliminate flying sideways, perhaps I may ask for technical intervention.

One of our two (not the one with the IMU issue) is doing the same thing.
2018-3-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jstocker68 Posted at 2018-3-20 08:10
One of our two (not the one with the IMU issue) is doing the same thing.

I'm going to the bottom of this ... Just re-calibrated both RC units (stock one and Cendence) to eliminate this possibility of causing the drift. Will post the test results soon ...
2018-3-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-18 22:54

Yoyoman, drifting in ATTI Mode is quite obvious and normal since there's no GPS lock involved. Therefore the bird will drift naturally with the wind, which you can compensate with RC. If not, she'll fly sideways, depend of wind direction and strength. Flying sideways in P or S mode is another story, because it's directly related to a compass/GPS readings efficiency. That's what I'm trying to figure out recently ...
2018-3-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-20 10:05
I'm going to the bottom of this ... Just re-calibrated both RC units (stock one and Cendence) to eliminate this possibility of causing the drift. Will post the test results soon ...

Few hours later ... I believe I was able to eliminate this sideways drifting issue to a very acceptable level by performing another compass calibration. This time I did this with absurdly detailed care on a farm field beyond city limits. I removed all metal objects from my body, including the suspenders with steel clips ... I suggest you do the same after careful IMU calibration on perfectly level table.

As for now my M200 seems to fly square and repeatable pattern with red compass arrow aligned and no stick corrections necessary. More tests must be performed, but I can't think of anything else to be done on my end ...
2018-3-20
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-20 13:35
Yoyoman, drifting in ATTI Mode is quite obvious and normal since there's no GPS lock involved. Therefore the bird will drift naturally with the wind, which you can compensate with RC. If not, she'll fly sideways, depend of wind direction and strength. Flying sideways in P or S mode is another story, because it's directly related to a compass/GPS readings efficiency. That's what I'm trying to figure out recently ...

If your drift issue was strong in GPS mode, then in ATTI with low wind and at low altitude, you could easly manage to see if you still drift. Drift is not "obvious" in ATTI if you fly straight with no wind. I get this kind of issue with my P4P at the begining.
it helps to know if drift issue relates to GPS or not... anyway it wont help you but maybe another user could be interested to know.
2018-3-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-21 02:03
If your drift issue was strong in GPS mode, then in ATTI with low wind and at low altitude, you could easly manage to see if you still drift. Drift is not "obvious" in ATTI if you fly straight with no wind. I get this kind of issue with my P4P at the begining.
it helps to know if drift issue relates to GPS or not... anyway it wont help you but maybe another user could be interested to know.

No, Yoyoman, this is not true. There's no such thing like no wind, never, not on this planet. Do the following experiment in the calmest weather you can get:
1. rise your bird to - say - 10 m attitude.
2. let her hover for a minute or so in P-mode.
3. without touching RC sticks, switch to ATTI mode and watch what's happening.

BTW, we know that drifting issue is directly related to compass/GPS readings. If Red Arrow is not aligned with straight patch line on map view, this means your bird is flying sideways and/or is drifting. Perform another careful IMU and compass calibrations until you get this right. If not, send the bird for service ...
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules