Video Export on Mavic Air with Adobe Premiere
5813 9 2018-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris06210
New
France

HI everyone this is my first post on this forum and i am a beginner in drones and video editing, i am having a problem with the editing and exporting of my videos. I have my new Mavic Air since 2 days now, the video formats  i am trying to edit and convert are all in 4K(3840x2160) 30 FPS, and apparently the bitrate is 100mbps ?  
Once i am done with the editing on Adobe Premiere Pro, i choose to export it in the format H.264 and then i select "match source". I change the export bitrate to 100mbps, and select max quality.
So i did that a few times with a 1minute video, it took me almost 20minutes to export and when i read my video on VLC or Windows Media it keeps freezing and hardly manages to read the video that is almot 1Gigabit, it seems to me that it's too big.
So my questions are: What would be the best settings to export my videos? And why can i hardly read my videos after editing and exporting?
Thank you for your help

Chris
2018-3-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris, after you choose "match source", I wouldn't worry about messing with the other settings like export bitrate and max quality.  Just let it match the source and see how it comes out.  If your end goal is to upload to something like YouTube, I would suggest instead of choosing "match source" instead to choose the YouTube 4K option and leave the other settings alone.  However, if you have a different end goal than YouTube, ignore that last comment!  ;)
2018-3-11
Use props
Chris06210
New
France

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-11 12:07
Chris, after you choose "match source", I wouldn't worry about messing with the other settings like export bitrate and max quality.  Just let it match the source and see how it comes out.  If your end goal is to upload to something like YouTube, I would suggest instead of choosing "match source" instead to choose the YouTube 4K option and leave the other settings alone.  However, if you have a different end goal than YouTube, ignore that last comment!  ;)

Hi Kloo Gee thank you for your answer. Well i am just doing a few tests so it is just to keep on the computer for now, but i'll keep in mind what you said about youtube it will become useful to me at some point.
I thought as the Mavic air can now take videos up to 100MBPS, that i had to set the export to the same bitrate to not lose any quality? Also do you know why i cannot read my videos normally after editing?
Thanks again
2018-3-11
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Yes that is huge for one minute of video. Try cutting the bitrate down to 35mbps and see how it goes; 100mbps seems to be overkill.   
2018-3-11
Use props
Chris06210
New
France

Ok i tried with the default bitrate at 12, it does work much better but it still seems it slightly freezes on some parts that are too detailed i don't know why...
2018-3-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris06210 Posted at 2018-3-11 12:28
Ok i tried with the default bitrate at 12, it does work much better but it still seems it slightly freezes on some parts that are too detailed i don't know why...

What are the specs of your computer?  Just guessing, but maybe your computer isn't fast enough to handle it?
2018-3-11
Use props
Chris06210
New
France

It's the Asus Rog GL552vx, processor intelcore i7, 8G RAM, graphic card GEFORCE GTX950M
2018-3-11
Use props
christing
lvl.2

United States

Learn a tutorial how to edit DJI Mavic Air 4K in Premiere Pro. You can get some clues.
2018-4-16
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your machine shouldn't have any issues playing back your content. Maybe check your codecs are up to date or try a different media player. If you are playing content from an external drive, check its USB 3. Try moving the video to an internal drive.

The filesize for 4k content is about right though.
1 min of footage compressed for youtube weighs in about:
3840x2160 (UHD)
H.264 (Youtube Settings)
File size ~1.4GB

As for outputting. I always export out at the same bitrate that the highest bitrate that went in. For example, my camera captures at 90Mbps, Air at 100Mbps and my gopro at 60Mbps. I will always export at 100Mbps as a master file then compress from this master for distribution.
I always upload the master file to YT because they will compress it to work on their platform and as software and codecs get better they will re-compress the original master file and should I need the original again I can re-download it back from YT.
When editing, the newer version of premiere allows transcoding during ingestion. I would highly recommend looking at this. Its an extra step and a bit of a process because it will convert your video files but the benefits are that the working files are easier for the editor to work with. Both during editing and during export. Basically it takes away the need for the editor to decompress the video during editing. Here is a good analogy.
Imagine a rubber band stretched really tight and you want to trim a little off the end. You need to slack the band off, trim a bit off then stretch it back out. (This is your footage straight from the camera, compressed and the editor having to do more work.)
This time let the rubber band hang loose. You need to trim a bit off the end, go ahead. its still hanging there. When you have finished trimming just stretch it back out. (This is your footage transcoded, much less compression, then exported out.)
2018-4-16
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-4-16 01:52
Your machine shouldn't have any issues playing back your content. Maybe check your codecs are up to date or try a different media player. If you are playing content from an external drive, check its USB 3. Try moving the video to an internal drive.

The filesize for 4k content is about right though.

great info right there, thank you
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules