Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Air not sharp across the lens
1234Next >
9765 157 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314705 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having issues with the Mavic Air being sharp across the screen.  Check out the attached image.  On the left half of the deck it is sharp but as it goes across to the right, it is very soft.  This is all in the same focal plane so it isn't a DOF issue.  

-----UPDATE-----  Problem solved by sending it in for repair.  In my case it actually took two tries to get it right but the unit I have now is excellent and sharp across the image.
DJI_0775-Edit-2.jpg
2018-3-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is not what you would expect.
Have you contacted support yet?
2018-3-12
Use props
ggeorgis
Second Officer
Greece

I don't know whether the sensor is read left to right or top to bottom. If the former maybe a gust of wind moved the drone slightly bluring the picture. If the SS is sufficiently high  this cannot be the case and you are looking at a defective lens or misaligned lens/sensor.
2018-3-12
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happened a lot with the Mavic Pros during the first 6 months or so of being on the market.  However for most of us that had an issue, it was not as pronounced as yours is.
Is this a JPG/NRW or a screen capture of a Video? Does it happen in both modes?   Is your lens clean?  (I know, I am laughing as I typed it but have to ask!)  
I would definitely report it to DJI, as they were replacing the MP for this kind of issue.  On the MP it turned out to be a batch of lenses not installed square on the camera. Good luck in getting it sorted.  
2018-3-12
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-3-12 15:07
This happened a lot with the Mavic Pros during the first 6 months or so of being on the market.  However for most of us that had an issue, it was not as pronounced as yours is.
Is this a JPG/NRW or a screen capture of a Video? Does it happen in both modes?   Is your lens clean?  (I know, I am laughing as I typed it but have to ask!)  
I would definitely report it to DJI, as they were replacing the MP for this kind of issue.  On the MP it turned out to be a batch of lenses not installed square on the camera. Good luck in getting it sorted.

Thanks, that was a crop of a raw file that I added the graphics to in PS.  The issue is evident in video as well, though not as much do to movement/motion blur.

Thanks for laugh about the clean lens... to be honest, I did go and check that after I posted this just to be sure.  It was perfectly clean.

I contacted DJI and they agreed it was not right, it seems like it isn't perfectly aligned with the sensor so I'm getting a new one and all should be well.
2018-3-12
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-3-12 11:35
I don't know whether the sensor is read left to right or top to bottom. If the former maybe a gust of wind moved the drone slightly bluring the picture. If the SS is sufficiently high  this cannot be the case and you are looking at a defective lens or misaligned lens/sensor.

I had a bunch of images that all looked the same, including video.  I'm thinking you are right about the misaligned sensor.
2018-3-12
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-12 11:10
That is not what you would expect.
Have you contacted support yet?

Yes and they agreed it was a problem and my dealer also agreed and is shipping me a new one to replace it.
2018-3-12
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all, this was my first time using this forum.  I am highly impressed.  I posted the same on a couple of FB group pages and the responses were somewhat less... well let's just say thoughtful and illuminating.

About the 5th person who suggested that was just how it is with a small sensor, or I was told that I hadn't focused on the right spot and it was my fault, I pretty much gave up and came here.  Considering the air has no focusing system and my cell phone is much smaller and doesn't have an issue keeping things sharp across the middle of the screen, I was pretty sure those weren't the issues.

Again, thanks for all the help, new Air is on the way.
2018-3-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-12 16:05
Yes and they agreed it was a problem and my dealer also agreed and is shipping me a new one to replace it.

That is good to hear.
Curious how your new unit will perform!
2018-3-12
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome news, and sounds like you picked a great dealer if they are doing an exchange and not requiring you to send in to DJI for repair.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated. Nice to know you have figured this out timely. If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact us.
2018-3-16
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-16 00:15
Thanks for keeping us updated. Nice to know you have figured this out timely. If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Got the new one in and the issue is the same.

Disappointing.
2018-3-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

At least the problem is consistent, instead of intermittent and random.  Being problem is consistent, should make it easier for DJI to analyze the problem.  They will have two specimens to look at and test.
A couple of possibilities.
Issues with grinding of camera lens, causing parts of image to be in focus, nearly focus, and out of focus.
The sensor is being warped when mounted.  Resulting in areas of sensor being at different planes of focus.

There are other possibilities, but those would not fit with left being sharp, middle right being blurry to soft, and far right appearing sharp.

2018-3-24
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-24 22:26
At least the problem is consistent, instead of intermittent and random.  Being problem is consistent, should make it easier for DJI to analyze the problem.  They will have two specimens to look at and test.
A couple of possibilities.
Issues with grinding of camera lens, causing parts of image to be in focus, nearly focus, and out of focus.

100% cropped version that makes it more clear what the problem is.
2018-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

What do you believe is causing the Blurry to Soft focus problem going from middle-Right from Top to Bottom?

What would help is taking pictures of several test patterns.  
Such as these:
http://www.bealecorner.org/red/t ... _12233-reschart.pdf

2018-3-25
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-25 11:47
What do you believe is causing the Blurry to Soft focus problem going from middle-Right from Top to Bottom?

What would help is taking pictures of several test patterns.  

Agreed, I've been looking for something like that.  Thank you.  I'll do it
2018-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-25 16:51
Agreed, I've been looking for something like that.  Thank you.  I'll do it

Probably better of three:
http://www.bealecorner.org/red/t ... _12233-reschart.pdf

Used one similar to it for working with a focus problem, that appeared to be related to temperature of light (warm - cool) the picture was taken in.
2018-3-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-24 21:37
Got the new one in and the issue is the same.[view_image]

Disappointing.

I’m sorry about this. May I know what's the current firmware? Please try to reset the camera settings to see whether it works. Also, please kindly upload some original samples in the SD card for further analysis, thanks!
2018-3-26
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-26 23:31
I’m sorry about this. May I know what's the current firmware? Please try to reset the camera settings to see whether it works. Also, please kindly upload some original samples in the SD card for further analysis, thanks!

Firmware is the very latest that just came out on the 22nd and I've seen the exact same results on two different Mavic Air units now so it isn't the camera settings, though I did try that anyway.

You can download everything here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt7czx ... ft%20files.zip?dl=0

Thanks for looking into this.
2018-3-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-26 23:36
Firmware is the very latest that just came out on the 22nd and I've seen the exact same results on two different Mavic Air units now so it isn't the camera settings, though I did try that anyway.

You can download everything here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt7czxx3d1kukrt/Air%20soft%20files.zip?dl=0

Received with thanks! I'll forward to our engineers for review.
2018-3-28
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-28 00:36
Received with thanks! I'll forward to our engineers for review.

New example of a 100% crop from yesterday's test flight.  Pretty dramatic how it is sharp, then soft then gets better again.  That's me in the middle of the street and I'm totally out of focus.
2018-3-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

The following video pertains to Mavic Pro's video Sharp / Soft problem.  But it may also apply to problem being discussed here with Mavic Air's Sharp / Soft problem.

Override In Camera Noise Reduction with Sharpness of +1

More technical - see TimeMark=3:11

2018-3-30
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-30 13:30
The following video pertains to Mavic Pro's video Sharp / Soft problem.  But it may also apply to problem being discussed here with Mavic Air's Sharp / Soft problem.

Thanks, I'm familiar with this issue with the MP and even tried it with my MA.  It was one of the reasons I sold the MP as setting the sharpness to +1 did fix the noise issue but at the same time, destroyed much of the rest of the image with over sharpening.  What people don't generally understand is, +1 Sharpening isn't magic, it is actually an optical illusion that creates the impression of sharpness by adding contrast to the edges.  However, it isn't actually sharpening anything and especially doesn't work on things that shouldn't be sharpened like sky.  Applying a global sharpening in camera is a recipe for creating other issues that can't easily be overcome.

I did try it, just to be sure and It didn't help in this case as I don't believe this issue is related to noise or it's reduction.  It is simply out of focus as if there was something on the lens in a specific area.
2018-3-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-30 13:59
Thanks, I'm familiar with this issue with the MP and even tried it with my MA.  It was one of the reasons I sold the MP as setting the sharpness to +1 did fix the noise issue but at the same time, destroyed much of the rest of the image with over sharpening.  What people don't generally understand is, +1 Sharpening isn't magic, it is actually an optical illusion that creates the impression of sharpness by adding contrast to the edges.  However, it isn't actually sharpening anything and especially doesn't work on things that shouldn't be sharpened like sky.  Applying a global sharpening in camera is a recipe for creating other issues that can't easily be overcome.

I did try it, just to be sure and It didn't help in this case as I don't believe this issue is related to noise or it's reduction.  It is simply out of focus as if there was something on the lens in a specific area.

''+1 Sharpening isn't magic, it is actually an optical illusion that creates the impression of sharpness by adding contrast to the edges.''

Yes.  We have seen people use (or abuse) Sharpening when it comes to photographing BIF.

From what I could discern from the video was, the only way to kill DJI's built-in noise reduction was to use a Sharpening of +1.  Then in post production De-Sharpen the image, and use editing software for Noise Reduction.  Still not what is needed, but better than what happens when Noise Reduction is done internal by DJI.

What needs to happen is for DJI to separate Noise Reduction from Sharpening.  They are two different things.

To my eye, all of Mavic Pro images are slightly soft and lack color depth.  But at same time, I expected such.  The Mavic cameras are not Prosumer or Professional, nor are Lens on cameras.  Which is to be expected, cause one Professional Lens can easily cost more than entire Mavic Pro Platinum package.  

Being realistic about price and performance, I am satisified with Mavic Pro P. and images from it.  Whereas, the CrystalSky Ultra-brite is a whole different matter.

2018-3-30
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-30 14:57
''+1 Sharpening isn't magic, it is actually an optical illusion that creates the impression of sharpness by adding contrast to the edges.''

Yes.  We have seen people use (or abuse) Sharpening when it comes to photographing BIF.

You aren't happy with the Crystal Sky?  I just bought the middle one today.
2018-3-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-30 15:08
You aren't happy with the Crystal Sky?  I just bought the middle one today.

Not so far.
See this thread: New CrystalSky - failed on first flight using CS with GO4
2018-3-30
Use props
fans1b839f0c
lvl.3
New Zealand

So why wouldn't you shoot in raw and do all your sharpening is post processing?   

2018-3-30
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Please contact customer service for replacement
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-3-30 03:39
[view_image]

New example of a 100% crop from yesterday's test flight.  Pretty dramatic how it is sharp, then soft then gets better again.  That's me in the middle of the street and I'm totally out of focus.

Thanks for keeping us updated. 28# is the reply from our engineers, and they'd suggest to send it in as well. Please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience. Again, we're sincerely sorry about this.
2018-4-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-2 00:49
Thanks for keeping us updated. 28# is the reply from our engineers, and they'd suggest to send it in as well. Please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience. Again, we're sincerely sorry about this.

It is on the way to them.  Shipped it Friday.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans4a0b1b27 Posted at 2018-4-2 09:27
It is on the way to them.  Shipped it Friday.

Well noted, thank you! If there is anything we can help, feel free to contact us.
2018-4-3
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-4-3
Use props
ResteIsmael
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1170358 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hi Ms. Susan. I have the same exact problem. My boss just bought this Mavic Air for about a month now to use here in my the company. And the area or region that is not sharp is the same. I hope you can help me out. Also, I always get the NO SIGNAL error even after I updated to the latest firmware. I fly here in UAE. Thanks in advance.

?dl=0
2018-5-2
Use props
ResteIsmael
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1170358 ft
United Arab Emirates

ResteIsmael Posted at 2018-5-2 05:22
Hi Ms. Susan. I have the same exact problem. My boss just bought this Mavic Air for about a month now to use here in my the company. And the area or region that is not sharp is the same. I hope you can help me out. Also, I always get the NO SIGNAL error even after I updated to the latest firmware. I fly here in UAE. Thanks in advance.

[view_image]?dl=0

2018-5-2
Use props
SebaF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 589462 ft
Argentina

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-30 13:30

Excellent Post! Thanks for sharing...
2018-5-2
Use props
saviour
First Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

I think I have the exact same issue. I noticed that last week, when I took a few picutes with my Mavic Air (3 weeks old). I thought that's kind of "normal" but I guess it isn't. I will try to provide pictures when I am home.
2018-5-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>

saviour Posted at 2018-5-2 22:52
I think I have the exact same issue. I noticed that last week, when I took a few picutes with my Mavic Air (3 weeks old). I thought that's kind of "normal" but I guess it isn't. I will try to provide pictures when I am home.

I received a replacement unit from DJI that was manufactured on the same date as my first one and it had the same issue.  I've sent it back a second time.  Hopefully this one will fix it.  For  those of you who have this issue, DJI is replacing the units under warranty so that is hope.
2018-5-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>

Yep, exactly the same issue.  Not okay.  I've had one replaced so far that came to me with the same issue.  That one is at DJI right now and will hopefully be fixed/replaced.  It would seem that there is an issue but it isn't across the board.  I have two friends with Airs that don't have the issue.
2018-5-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>

SebaF Posted at 2018-5-2 06:50
Excellent Post! Thanks for sharing...

The +1 sharpening fix that solved some issues with the Mavic Pro is not the solution in this case, that only forces artificial sharpening to the entire image which doesn't need it.
2018-5-2
Use props
fans4a0b1b27
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-3 01:37
Well noted, thank you! If there is anything we can help, feel free to contact us.

New Air arrived with the same issue, maybe slightly less but still there.  That one is on it's way back to DJI right now.  This is frustrating how many trips it needs to get it right.  At least DJI is paying for the freight.
2018-5-2
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules