Alarming: Sideways drift on Mavic Pro
7756 25 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
beamlord
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112628 ft
Austria

I have both of the mavics - Pro and Air.
My Mavic Air flies perfectly straight and keeps the direction, and also stops right where you hit the brakes.

Mavic Pro doesn't do that, it drifts to the left when you push the right stick straight up. Also, when stopping after flying forward, it first drifts to the left then settles in. When flying backward, and letting go of the stick, it drifts to the right after stopping. This is absolutely unacceptable.

IMU and compass calibration has been done, and it's at the latest firmware.

I've sent the report to DJI support with corresponding flight log, but I see no sign of the report being received and/or processed.

I really hope someone from DJI reads this and pays close attention.

2018-3-12
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I see no notion on having done a remote calibration.

Might be worth the effort.
2018-3-12
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

And check for damaged or bent propellers that might be giving more lift or less lift on one side when it throttles up.
2018-3-12
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Austria

The sticks show up perfectly centered, also, after releasing them the drone does a strange movement left/right depending on direction it was flying in.
It’s not the control.
2018-3-12
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Austria

Yes, props are brand new
2018-3-12
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

I was thinking the same thing as LoSBoL

2018-3-12
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

I was thinking the same thing as LoSBoL

2018-3-12
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Sorry for that first video. Youtube automatically moved to the next one before I copied and pasted.
2018-3-12
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

beamlord Posted at 2018-3-12 07:38
The sticks show up perfectly centered, also, after releasing them the drone does a strange movement left/right depending on direction it was flying in.
It’s not the control.

Sticks being perfectly centered just says it wont drift while hovering. There could be deviations in the analogue stick range that could cause drifting.
I'm not saying that calibration would solve the problem, but it might, and if it doesn't, than you can at least exclude the remote from causing the issue.
2018-3-12
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Definitely do the stick calibration.  If that doesn't work, change the props - even if they are new.
2018-3-12
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Austria

Update: Stick calibration done
Cold IMU calibration done.

Just tested with almost no wind. The problem is less prominent - drone flies straight but still drifts a little bit right after braking - however now only when going forward. Gong backward no drift after braking.
Still not completely convinced, since this would probably be more prominent in windy conditions- need to test..
2018-3-12
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

beamlord Posted at 2018-3-12 09:39
Update: Stick calibration done
Cold IMU calibration done.

Thanks for the updated! After seeing significant improvement after the first calibration, I would try an additional controller calibration.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry for the late response. May I know what's the current status? Does the drone work well after another RC calibration?

Regarding the report to our support, how do you contact our support? By phone or email? Could you PM us your phone number/email address when you contacted our support? We'd like to investigate. Thanks so much!
2018-3-16
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-16 00:26
I'm sorry for the late response. May I know what's the current status? Does the drone work well after another RC calibration?

Regarding the report to our support, how do you contact our support? By phone or email? Could you PM us your phone number/email address when you contacted our support? We'd like to investigate. Thanks so much!

Dear Susan, thank you very much for following up on this one.
I have, in fact, already sent the unit to DJI Service in Nuth, NL, and hoping very much to get a definitive fix or better yet, a replacement under warranty - since I am really hoping to enjoy the unit to work as intendet.
I am a big fan of DJI products and enjoying my second product (Mavic Air), which behaves perfectly, so hoping to get the same type of experience from Mavic Pro.
The case number is CAS-1552401-K1D7D1  if you could track this and make sure it get's processed promptly, I would very much appreciate it!
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

beamlord Posted at 2018-3-16 01:57
Dear Susan, thank you very much for following up on this one.
I have, in fact, already sent the unit to DJI Service in Nuth, NL, and hoping very much to get a definitive fix or better yet, a replacement under warranty - since I am really hoping to enjoy the unit to work as intendet.
I am a big fan of DJI products and enjoying my second product (Mavic Air), which behaves perfectly, so hoping to get the same type of experience from Mavic Pro.

Received with thanks! I've checked your case, the package is still on the way. The local team will take care once the unit arrived. We'll keep an eye on the status as well.
2018-3-17
Use props
Villej
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128878 ft
Finland

I have had pretty much the same symptoms with my mavic pro.  It once took me to bushes, but it happened at ~2 meters and mavic got hanging by its antenna/leg and i only lost one prop.  Now that i know i can't do precise braking, i could even live with that..

Which brings much worse situation to mind.  Yesterday, i thought i have to try if everything works and got to sky.  Its been quite cold in Finland for couple of months, so not that much opportunities to fly.  Yesterday there was -6 deg Celsius and little wind.  I got to ~15 meters, slight movement while hovering, but everything seemed fine.  Got to little bit further and to 120 m altitude.  Basically to line of sight maximum.  Rear light was green to this point.  Checked my screen and noticed little rotation and drift, which was just getting to speed and errors started to appear.  Probably all navigation aids lost, I turned camera straight down to see which way to brake and when i got it to almost hovering, started to check if i see where my home is.  It then said on the screen that mavic was 900 meters away, it was at about 200 m when this nonplanned journey started.  Never had flied that far at that direction, so it took a little time to understand where my mavic was.  After finding familiar landmarks, i got it pointing home and started to fly back.  I have never been so happy to hear drone noise again

As i descent to home, it somehow found gps and other stuff at about 30 meters or so and i could land on my hand easily.

So, should i only try again in summer or is my drone broken?  If i could fly bare handed, it should be ok for electronics..  And i have flied in colder conditions and seen many mavic videos from others in the winter..

Could the motors interfere with all navigation, if sportmode or wind demands too much?  Or voltage drops for same reasons?  Any better ideas?  Only got couple strong wind warnings on the whole trip.  What systems wind speed calculations use as a reference?  Gps?  Gyro?  Would it even notice wind, if those are shut down?
2018-3-17
Use props
beamlord
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-17 01:18
Received with thanks! I've checked your case, the package is still on the way. The local team will take care once the unit arrived. We'll keep an eye on the status as well.

Dear Susan, I've been notified that the unit has been received today in the NUTH center by "ROOIJACKERS". Very hopeful that is gets processed promptly, since the Easter holidays are starting next week, and it would be ideal to take the Mavic Pro with us on vacation! Since I only bought it just three months ago I haven't had much time to enjoy it in warm weather so was looking forward to this.
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Villej Posted at 2018-3-17 02:14
I have had pretty much the same symptoms with my mavic pro.  It once took me to bushes, but it happened at ~2 meters and mavic got hanging by its antenna/leg and i only lost one prop.  Now that i know i can't do precise braking, i could even live with that..

Which brings much worse situation to mind.  Yesterday, i thought i have to try if everything works and got to sky.  Its been quite cold in Finland for couple of months, so not that much opportunities to fly.  Yesterday there was -6 deg Celsius and little wind.  I got to ~15 meters, slight movement while hovering, but everything seemed fine.  Got to little bit further and to 120 m altitude.  Basically to line of sight maximum.  Rear light was green to this point.  Checked my screen and noticed little rotation and drift, which was just getting to speed and errors started to appear.  Probably all navigation aids lost, I turned camera straight down to see which way to brake and when i got it to almost hovering, started to check if i see where my home is.  It then said on the screen that mavic was 900 meters away, it was at about 200 m when this nonplanned journey started.  Never had flied that far at that direction, so it took a little time to understand where my mavic was.  After finding familiar landmarks, i got it pointing home and started to fly back.  I have never been so happy to hear drone noise again

To ensure the flight safety, I'd suggest sending the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

beamlord Posted at 2018-3-19 03:41
Dear Susan, I've been notified that the unit has been received today in the NUTH center by "ROOIJACKERS". Very hopeful that is gets processed promptly, since the Easter holidays are starting next week, and it would be ideal to take the Mavic Pro with us on vacation! Since I only bought it just three months ago I haven't had much time to enjoy it in warm weather so was looking forward to this.

Per the case log, we have received the package and update in our system. The local team will do damage assessment and keep you updated as well. You can check the status from here: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace
2018-3-20
Use props
dorbsz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31047 ft
United States

Has this been resolved or did you have to replace your unit?

I'm having the exact same issue with a refurbished DJI Mavic Pro unit I purchased and have it for only 2 weeks now. Please check the video for some footage:

Is there a quick fix for this?
2018-4-29
Use props
FreezBox
New
Flight distance : 33780 ft
Russia

Just the same problem. Calibration of all sensors is made, the insertion is updated.
Only 7 hours of flight. How to correct it?

2018-5-31
Use props
djiuser_yCF02cvDQrqg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70210 ft
Norway

Has there been any solution to this problem? I just bought a mavic pro and have the same problem.
2020-4-16
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

I know that this is an old topic, but this might help you!
2020-10-21
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

sergeant Posted at 2020-10-21 12:03
I know that this is an old topic, but this might help you! https://youtu.be/7jA7EzWxYgg

I have a Mavic Pro (1) that has this issue. Saw the video, great news, only one problem. The version (Latest) I have for the Go 4 app doesn't have that "Yaw" adjustment in either iOS or Android. It does have that Roll adjustment tho. Which version of the app do I need to be able to do this. A Standard Gimbal Calibration doesn't fix this.
Thanks
2021-3-3
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

Wanbli Posted at 3-3 13:45
I have a Mavic Pro (1) that has this issue. Saw the video, great news, only one problem. The version (Latest) I have for the Go 4 app doesn't have that "Yaw" adjustment in either iOS or Android. It does have that Roll adjustment tho. Which version of the app do I need to be able to do this. A Standard Gimbal Calibration doesn't fix this.
Thanks

SOLVED!
If you have a Mavic Pro, replace the Compass/GPS Module! Even if it calibrates, it's not functioning properly. I couldn't figure this out, drove me crazy! Then I noticed while flying I got a very quick warning in the app about the compass, It just flashed on the screen and then disappeared, if I hadn't been watching the screen, I wouldn't have seen it!
I replaced the module and WHALLA! Sideways drift is now GONE!!!
2021-3-4
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-12 07:37
And check for damaged or bent propellers that might be giving more lift or less lift on one side when it throttles up.

Changing the props or calibration of the transmitter is a waste of time. Nearly every Mini 2 has this same exact problem and certainly DJI more than everyone is well aware this is a defect. Rather than the administration admitting there is a problem they choose to offer worthless suggestions of goofy solutions such as changing the props. There is absolutely nothing you could do to a prop to make the drone stop fly sideways a few feet then come back, this is solely a processor error. Admit there is a problem and tell us it will be addressed in future firmware. We all realize there is no such thing as a perfect drone!

Thanks Mike
2021-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules