lvl.1
Flight distance : 12995 ft

Denmark

Hi guys

I just can't find the answer (on Google) for this simple question:

Is the tablet/phone connected to
1) the remote controller or
2) the aircraft?

If 1) Why isn't it just a simple USB-cable?
If 2) Then the video signal is NOT going through the RC - but going directly to the phone. So - why is it possible to extend the range of the video-signal with a range-extender on the RC?

M G
P3S-owner
2018-3-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Tablets connects to Controller.

The links for a P3S are :

Command signals for flight are via 5.8Ghz central antenna of Controller and one-way TO AC.

Video and Telemetry signals / Data are via the dual 2.4Ghz antenna of Controller in bi-directional form To and From Controller / AC.

The Phone or Tablet connects to Controller via WiFi. The commands / adjustments you make are sent to Controller and then Controller sends to AC. Data back from AC including video is received by Controller and then sends to Phone / Tablet.

It is not possible to convert to cable connection unfortunately.

The Parabolic range extender works by focusing all COMMAND signal on 5.8Ghz from Controller .. it does not increase video which is on 2.4Ghz ...
Only way to increase Video is by increasing power of transmission by software or swapping antenna system with possible addition of boosters. It is possible and I did it as a test - if you swap antenna on the 2.4Ghz to be external - you can in fact fit parabola reflectors to 2.4 as well as 5.8.

Nigel
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, the mobile device should be connected to the remote controller. You can view the live image on the mobile device as long as the RC and aircraft linked well. As the P3S use WiFi connection, USB cable is not available in this kind of situation.
2018-3-12
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The RC is the WIFI router and i the WIFI extender in one. There are 3 IP addresses,the RC the AC and the mobile device. USB wires ar not required or recommended on P3S,P3 4K and P3SE.
And the mobile device is always connected to the RC in flight.
2018-3-13
Use props
m g
lvl.1

Denmark

Thanks!

Now I unserstand a bit more.
A parabolic extender will not extend the video signal (though some say that on youtube) because it uses antennas inside the RC - not the one on the back of the RC.
I was not sure if the AC communicated directy with the mobile-phone. Now I know that it would be VERY STUPID to buy a new phone to extend the range (i actually thought of that:-).

Facts: I can fly 100m up and 500m away. In this distance I still have signal from both the camera and the AC. But I get a lot of warnings about week signal and the FPV-picture sometimes goes black an white.
I'm flying in Denmark, and I suppose it is the CE compliance that makes this limitation. I don't have a screwdriver-hole in my RC, to change to FCC, so I guess the GPS tells the AC or RC that it is illegal to send stronger signals.

Thanks again for your answers.

2018-3-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The old screwdriver mode change was removed with the P3 .....

100 / 500m with CE in residential area is about right with a stock P3S.

Nigel
2018-3-13
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

What I found is, after flying for awhile and going out pretty far, I no longer EVER fly out of sight. So, you may come to find that your range is fine as it is.  There's really nothing out there worth filming and you can get in so much more trouble if you go beyond where you can see the quad.
2018-3-13
Use props
m g
lvl.1

Denmark

StanfordWebbie:
Love your comment! Maybe I have seen too many cruiseship-huntings on youtube:-)
Actually I like to film my house - my car - the nature around me - my dog - my famiy. And I don´t need a range more than 100m to do that. You are right: There is realy no need to push it further.

2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules