Strange background noise
3157 18 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
panox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568819 ft
Germany

A strange background noise that only occurs when recording with the Osmo mobile 2.  Shooting with the camera app of my Samsung Galaxy S5  phone is not affected. It makes no difference whether the smartphone is inserted horizontally or vertically.

Is the Samsung Galaxy S5 not compatible with the Osmo mobile 2?
I have tested Alcatel idol 3 which is not affected by this issue.

Best regards

Harald
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Samsung Galaxy S5 is not in the compatible list, it sounds like the gimbal motor noise, did you balance the gimbal properly before you switch on? Please do not wear any phone case.
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-13 00:30
Samsung Galaxy S5 is not in the compatible list, it sounds like the gimbal motor noise, did you balance the gimbal properly before you switch on? Please do not wear any phone case.

Thank you, where can I find the list?  Will the DJI GO-App be updated to make the S5 compatible an prevent this background noise? Might this be an interference which can be fixed by isolating material like aluminium?
I have balanced the smartphone and I don't use any phone case.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 00:58
Thank you, where can I find the list?  Will the DJI GO-App be updated to make the S5 compatible an prevent this background noise? Might this be an interference which can be fixed by isolating material like aluminium?
I have balanced the smartphone and I don't use any phone case.

I don't think this has to do with compatibility issues.
Do you also have this with the native camera app?
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 01:21
I don't think this has to do with compatibility issues.
Do you also have this with the native camera app?

No, shooting with the camera app of my Samsung Galaxy S5  phone is not affected.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 01:26
No, shooting with the camera app of my Samsung Galaxy S5  phone is not affected.

So when you mount the phone in the Osmo Mobile, turn the Osmo Mobile ON and start shooting with the default camera app (Samsung) you don't get this noise?
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 01:38
So when you mount the phone in the Osmo Mobile, turn the Osmo Mobile ON and start shooting with the default camera app (Samsung) you don't get this noise?

Thanks for this hint! I didn't test this. Will report soon.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 01:45
Thanks for this hint! I didn't test this. Will report soon.

You're welcome
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

Osmo mobile 2 - background noise with Samsung Galaxy S5 - without noise when turned off the Osmo mobile 2 - recorded with smartphone-camera-app.

2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, that is a huge difference.
So it is not caused by the DJI Go app or compatibility.

Maybe the mic is very close to the gimbal motors.
Do you hear it with your ears when the Osmo Mobile is on?
If not, maybe it is indeed caused by contact between the phone and the Osmo Mobile. (I have the Osmo Mobile 1, that has rubber parts between the metal and the phone)
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 02:08
Osmo mobile 2 - background noise with Samsung Galaxy S5 - without noise when turned off the Osmo mobile 2 - recorded with smartphone-camera-app.

https://youtu.be/fWLuNWCCgF4

Here is the compatible list of Osmo Mobile 2. Since Osmo Mobile 2 works fine with another mobile device, that doesn't mean there is any malfunction with Osmo Mobile 2, like Montfrooij mentioned, can you hear the noise with your ear? Usually the motor will not make noise or we can say the noise cannot hear by ears unless the gimbal is not balanced well. GTScreenshot_20180313_202407.png
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-13 04:27
Here is the compatible list of Osmo Mobile 2. Since Osmo Mobile 2 works fine with another mobile device, that doesn't mean there is any malfunction with Osmo Mobile 2, like Montfrooij mentioned, can you hear the noise with your ear? Usually the motor will not make noise or we can say the noise cannot hear by ears unless the gimbal is not balanced well.[view_image]

"Maybe the mic is very close to the gimbal motors.
Do you hear it with your ears when the Osmo Mobile is on?"

Yes, the microphone is close to the gimbal motors, but there is the same noise in vertical position.

No, I don't hear any motor sounds from the gimbals and the smartphone is perfectly balanced.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 05:38
"Maybe the mic is very close to the gimbal motors.
Do you hear it with your ears when the Osmo Mobile is on?"

That is weird.
Especially since you have it on the stock camera app also.

So my last thought would be that the body of the phone somehow amplifies the sound via contact between the gimbal and the phone and your phone happens to be designed like that.
Can you put something soft (like a piece of elastic) between the gimbal and the phone (on both sides)?
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 12:34
That is weird.
Especially since you have it on the stock camera app also.

Great idea! I'll test it an will report.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

panox Posted at 2018-3-13 12:38
Great idea! I'll test it an will report.

I'll be waiting
2018-3-13
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Germany

Osmo mobile 2 with Samsung Galaxy S5 and DJI Go App.
The Osmo was shut down at 00:26.

I had put some foam into the smartphone-holder.

2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

It sounds better if you ask me.
How is the sound in a real world situation?
Like when there is 'normal' sound.
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_IvZ1M9QiRAoh
New
Flight distance : 1983858 ft
Czechia

I have the same problem, same humming sound. The phone itself doesn't do it, it's illogical. I've tried everything. Everything was fine before. It does it as well as the osmo 5 and osmo 6. Have you found a solution?
2023-8-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_IvZ1M9QiRAoh Posted at 8-14 23:54
I have the same problem, same humming sound. The phone itself doesn't do it, it's illogical. I've tried everything. Everything was fine before. It does it as well as the osmo 5 and osmo 6. Have you found a solution?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize if you are having issues with your Osmo Mobile. Please confirm if the issue happens on both of your DJI OM5 and DJI Osmo Mobile 6. May I know what mobile device are you currently using? Please provide us with a short video showing the issue so we can check. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules