599 9 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Hi,
I need a bit of advice...
I am flying P3P, and today had a bit of a situation. Started flying with a full battery ( as always ), and when it reached some 20 % I started taking it back for a landing. When it reached 17 % drone activated RTH procedure, and did manage to land it nicely on the take off spot. Still, gave me a right fright... Checked my settings, it was supposed to go for RTH at 10 %.

Changed the battery, and all sorts of things started happening - couldn't turn the motors on because ' aircraft is going through an update ', battery error warning came up and lost nearly all the satellites ( kept connecting and disconnecting ). I took it back home, and when tried again all worked OK.
Just checked my firmware :
- app                      3.1.28
- aircraft               v1.11.20 ( latest )
- remote              v1.9.3
- Basic Fly safe   v.01.00.01.05
Any idea what happened ?

2018-3-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

10% is critical battery level .  It will land no matter what you do.  You cannot set a RTHcommand for battery percentage.
2018-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The experienced flyers here would probably not wait until 20% indicated battery capacity to start home, more likely they would start home at 30%. The 20% figure just does not give you enough margin for error. OK on the updating procedure, but none of this really qualifies as a 'malfunction'.
2018-3-12
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-12 15:33
10% is critical battery level .  It will land no matter what you do.  You cannot set a RTHcommand for battery percentage.

Yes, that's why I find it strange it started RTH at 17 %.
And am even more puzzled by not been able to start the m+tors because of some imaginary firmware update, and sudden loss of satellites...
Is it common for P3P to do that ?
2018-3-12
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-12 15:38
The experienced flyers here would probably not wait until 20% indicated battery capacity to start home, more likely they would start home at 30%. The 20% figure just does not give you enough margin for error. OK on the updating procedure, but none of this really qualifies as a 'malfunction'.

Most of the time I go for landing at 30 %, here was the case of having a drone few yards from me at the eye level...
Could you please explain the ' update ' - it has the latest firmware and in any case could not be updated unless connected  to the comp.
Perhaps it was some sort of an update after all, that prevented me from starting motors...
2018-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JackCarter Posted at 2018-3-12 15:50
Most of the time I go for landing at 30 %, here was the case of having a drone few yards from me at the eye level...
Could you please explain the ' update ' - it has the latest firmware and in any case could not be updated unless connected  to the comp.
Perhaps it was some sort of an update after all, that prevented me from starting motors...

I doubt there was any update happening, more likely it was telling you that the firmware needed to be updated. The reason it would not start the motors is probably because of the temporary loss of GPS reception.
2018-3-12
Use props
JackCarter
lvl.2
Croatia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-12 15:55
I doubt there was any update happening, more likely it was telling you that the firmware needed to be updated. The reason it would not start the motors is probably because of the temporary loss of GPS reception.

Thanks, I'll check controller firmware version.
Also, sometimes it prompts me to perform Basic Fly safe Database update, but don't think that was a reason.
Maybe I should just have swithed to atti, and continued...
2018-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JackCarter Posted at 2018-3-12 16:06
Thanks, I'll check controller firmware version.
Also, sometimes it prompts me to perform Basic Fly safe Database update, but don't think that was a reason.
Maybe I should just have swithed to atti, and continued...

It has been reported here that it insists on updating the Basic Fly Safe Database when in the field, a most annoying thing as it appears you cannot always escape it. But I would rather wait for the GPS reception to return rather than take off in ATTI mode. It can be very hard to fly unless you are well practised with it.
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Jack, the flight controller will calculate the battery level during the flight to decide whether it is enough for RTH. Regarding the update, it looks like that the fly safe database has not been updated, please reinstall the APP and update again.
2018-3-12
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I have the latest firmware for P4 standard, finally fixed that database update today, anyhow I have my critical battery at 20% as well. Recently I have been letting my batteries run down to around 10% if possible, the drone is always no more than 3 feet off the ground and 5 feet away from me, at 20% auto landing kicks in for me. I assume its because I am already at the homepoint.  Anyway I cancel the auto landing and have been landing at 10%.  I'm not sure if this is after the firmware update I did a few weeks ago because I have never let my battery get below 25% until the past few days, so I'm not sure what happened at 20% before the update. If I fly any distance I tend to get a little too nervous about the battery so I try to always have it back with in 20 feet of me by around 40%, 30% if really needed.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules