Gimbal issues after crash
716 9 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OpenTrackRacer
lvl.1

United States

I finally crashed my Phantom 3 Standard.  It collided with a vehicle in gusty winds on landing.  It fell about four feet and thrashed around on the ground for a few momments until I got the motors shut off.  After the crash the gimbal was buzzing and I was getting video with the jello effect.  I adjusted and tightened the set screw on the yaw axis shaft and the buzzing went away.  However, the gimbal no longer points straight ahead, even after doing a calibration.  It actually does point correctly when the quad starts up (after the gimbal goes through its range of motion) but then points off to one side immediatly thereafter.
There is no adjustment for gimbal yaw so I'm pretty much stuck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
2018-3-12
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Has the gimbal arm been bent?
Have you tried reseating the ribbon cable it may have come loose in one of its contacts
2018-3-12
Use props
OpenTrackRacer
lvl.1

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-3-12 15:56
Has the gimbal arm been bent?
Have you tried reseating the ribbon cable it may have come loose in one of its contacts

I don't think the gimbal arm is bent but I can't tell for sure.  However, after doing some more research I see then when I tighten the set screw the flat of the yaw shaft isn't aligned with the camera.  Even if I loosen it and retighten it always ends up off a little.  I'm not sure how that's possible but...
2018-3-12
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Can you post some photos of the gimbal and camera front and rear
2018-3-12
Use props
OpenTrackRacer
lvl.1

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-3-12 17:16
Can you post some photos of the gimbal and camera front and rear

I'll work on that.  I've been looking more and it appears the flat of the shaft may be dented where the set screw contacts it.  I'm going to try and get a replacement set screw with a less pointed end and that might do the trick.
2018-3-12
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

OpenTrackRacer Posted at 2018-3-12 17:28
I'll work on that.  I've been looking more and it appears the flat of the shaft may be dented where the set screw contacts it.  I'm going to try and get a replacement set screw with a less pointed end and that might do the trick.

Good luck i hope you get it fixed and back up and flying soon
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear the crash. It is not suggested to take apart at your end if the drone is in warranty period. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-12
Use props
OpenTrackRacer
lvl.1

United States

Well, I changed the set screw and the camera is still pointing off to one side.  It seems like it's aligned with the flat of the yaw shaft now so it wasn't that.  A gimbal calibration doesn't help at all.  I'm kind of stunned that there is no adjustment.

Anyone have further suggestions?
2018-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

OpenTrackRacer Posted at 2018-3-31 13:56
Well, I changed the set screw and the camera is still pointing off to one side.  It seems like it's aligned with the flat of the yaw shaft now so it wasn't that.  A gimbal calibration doesn't help at all.  I'm kind of stunned that there is no adjustment.

Anyone have further suggestions?

Aircraft is a very sophisticated unit, like Susan mentioned, it is not recommended to repair at your end, please send in the drone to DJI official repair center or there are also recommended service centers, you can also contact them to see if they can help. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-3-31
Use props
OpenTrackRacer
lvl.1

United States

Not super helpful...
2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules