DJI SPARK malfunctioned causing breakage
1194 15 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

I know what you're thinking, another beginner drone piolet blaming DJI on his own faults. For this situation, it is just simply not the case. Here is what happened. I take off, the drone with roughly 80% of battery and a good GPS signal. About 10 seconds later the drone disconnects from wifi lose all GPS satellites and the phone screen says disconnected. I try to land with the RC and drone somehow falls three feet above the ground and the motor including the wires break from the frame. Keep in mind I just received the drone 4 days ago. I have read many DJI horror stories about customer service. I am hopeful that some sort of warranty can cover this crash as for I have had it for less than a week, I also know that people will try to accuse me of breaking the drone but I swear 100% that this was the DJI's sparks fault. Online there are many DJI customer support return horror stories and I really want to ensure that this works out smoothly. What steps should I take?
2018-3-12
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

Also to update, I contacted DJI support and started a repair ticket. I see that it says a $65 fee will be charged. Since the drone is still under warranty and I am %100 sure that it is a device malfunction will this fee be waivered?
2018-3-12
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Hi Kaiku, did you submit the flight logs to DJI? You may also post your flight log in this forum for others to comment on.

Your flight log is also available on your device (if you use one) and go to this link to upload the log http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-3-12
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

Here is the flight log http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/FRUQBK2BA2NFA9M2VZBU/
2018-3-12
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

I was asked to calibrate the drone before the flight and followed the calibration steps. There was no magnetic interference by me as for I was in a fairly open area.
2018-3-12
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

I'm curious to see what the log analysis guys have to say about this.
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Kaiku Posted at 2018-3-12 18:00
I was asked to calibrate the drone before the flight and followed the calibration steps. There was no magnetic interference by me as for I was in a fairly open area.

Kaiku, did you provide them your flight records for data analysis? Please tell me your ticket or case number so I can check the details for you. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-12
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

Hi, my case number is CAS-1545721-S2Y6Z3. I did not yet return the drone, also I was never asked to provide flight records. How do I return the drone if I want a repair or replacement. Based on my understanding there is a 7-day warranty.
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kaiku Posted at 2018-3-12 18:33
Hi, my case number is CAS-1545721-S2Y6Z3. I did not yet return the drone, also I was never asked to provide flight records. How do I return the drone if I want a repair or replacement. Based on my understanding there is a 7-day warranty.

Thanks for the case number, once you receive the shipping label, we recommend to send in the drone at your most convenience, when the drone arrives, our repair center will export the data log and make data analysis for you, we will do our best to locate the reason and then the corresponding resolution will be provided.
2018-3-12
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

How exactly should I ship it off? Should I only ship the drone or should I ship back the drone, battery, controller, and wires.
2018-3-13
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

Also, is this included in the return policy?
2018-3-13
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

I don't mean to be spamming I just extremely concerned, I don't have to pay the $65 examination fee since the product was purchased within 7 days right?
2018-3-13
Use props
John the Mighty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136959 ft
United States

Just send it in and see what happens. If they say it’s your fault escalate the case. They aren’t going to tell you anything until they have it.
2018-3-13
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Curious to see if one of the guys on here that knows how to read the log files better than me will chime in.  I have not seen one with that many errors before..  The downlink from the spark was lost almost as soon as it took off and it was never more than a few feet away.  Downlink restored and tons of YAW ERROR..  last entry is 'forced landing'  also something I have not seen before.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kaiku Posted at 2018-3-13 04:34
I don't mean to be spamming I just extremely concerned, I don't have to pay the $65 examination fee since the product was purchased within 7 days right?

It depends on the damage assessment and data analysis, if the accident was not caused by pilot error, we will provide warranty service, please send in the damaged parts.
2018-3-14
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

United States

Thank you, they have been sent. I was told that since I returned the drone within 7 days of reception I would not have tot pay any fees.
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules