Gimbal Problems HELP PLEASE
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans61f01832
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60925 ft
United States

Hi all, I crashed my PA3, not bad light damage. replaced the gimbal arm (cracked) and installed new Ribbon cable. Latest firmware on card and recalibrated gimbal. When I turn everything on, I get a message GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOAD, and the gimbal is very erratic all over the place. Any help or suggestions are greatly appriacated.
Joe
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Joe, I'm sorry that the aircraft performance cannot be ensured after the crash. You may have to send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-12
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Your gimbal might have taken a hard enough hit to cause it to be out of proper location. There are several videos showing how to replace that arm / and or ribbon cable and how to check for correct location on the motor shaft. There is a set screw that may have slipped. I would at least try and check these out before you send it in. Just my opinion. Does the gimbal move easily when powered off? If it doesn't and has rough spots, etc. you could have more damage than you think. Good luck.
2018-3-13
Use props
Top of the World 1
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Ricardo, the gimbal moves freely when powered off, also just recal the IMU & Gimbal no difference. Will recheck set screw on shaft, could any wires inside the body  of craft cause these symptoms? I don’t really want to send it in.
2018-3-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Could be the shaft on yaw motor not centered.
2018-3-13
Use props
Top of the World 1
lvl.1
United States

The  gimbal shaft has a flat on it so it’s next to impossible to get that wrong you just have to make sure you have end play between the arm and the top of the mount so it isnt binding. The other shaft that y’all and forgive me if I’m wrong on naming the shaft so I’m new at this could be off that’s a good call I’m going to check that next. The one thing that is suspicious to me is right away it gives your warning gimbal motor overload and if you feel  The side of one of the shafts with the round disc on it it is pretty hot and it’s not even been on for 2 minutes so I’m thinking that I may end up have to purchase the whole gimbal  less the camera if that’s possible
2018-3-13
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Top of the World 1 Posted at 2018-3-13 11:36
The  gimbal shaft has a flat on it so it’s next to impossible to get that wrong you just have to make sure you have end play between the arm and the top of the mount so it isnt binding. The other shaft that y’all and forgive me if I’m wrong on naming the shaft so I’m new at this could be off that’s a good call I’m going to check that next. The one thing that is suspicious to me is right away it gives your warning gimbal motor overload and if you feel  The side of one of the shafts with the round disc on it it is pretty hot and it’s not even been on for 2 minutes so I’m thinking that I may end up have to purchase the whole gimbal  less the camera if that’s possible

There is a flat on that one shaft, but the shaft/bearing can turn inside the housing and not be square with the horizon if that makes sense.. There is a Youtube video that shows if the shaft is not perpendicular your can turn it to get is straight. If I remember correctly the guy used some super glue to hold it in place. Can't remember exactly since it has been a while since I have repaired one of these. And yes you may have other damage. You can buy the motor by itself I think. Sorry for your misfortune. Good luck.
2018-3-13
Use props
Top of the World 1
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your help Ricardo, I,ll let you know how it turns out. It,s my fault I was trying to follow and film a Bird. We’ll guess we’re Birds go, TREES LOL
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules