Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dubai Flight Permission Form Help
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello everyone.

I want to keep this short as I've seen many threads about this, but NONE of them clarifies into the right direction.

We are looking to film in Dubai as commercial users, so we can be more free and not so tied down as a recreational user.

I've found this: https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/Publi ... eg_Organization.pdf

BUT it requires a UAE ID card number which, as UK citizens, we don't have.

I can't find any other way to register for permission to fly and film.

Many thanks.
2018-3-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

My office is based on Dubai with satellites in Fujairah and Jebel Ali.

Best advice is to contact a local and enlist their help. To try and sort yourself ? Myself and Partners out there - we hand over to a trusted local to sort documentation as that is what the Authorities expect out there.

There is a lively RC Community out there ... one in particular posts many Youtube vids of reviews and tests etc. Sorry but without his OK - I will not post his ID here.

Be aware that there have been some 'incidents' where odd flights have led to 'discussions' with authorities ... one was where an idiot decided to fly up and round the Burg Khalifa Tower building ...

FYI - I do not fly my P3P out there. It stays at home in Latvia.

Nigel
2018-3-13
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

For Dubai you need the DCAA. Need to get permits etc. for commercial shoots unfortunately (otherwise significant fines).

https://www.dcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/RPASRegistration.aspx?sid=16
2018-3-13
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 2018-3-13 08:31
For Dubai you need the DCAA. Need to get permits etc. for commercial shoots unfortunately (otherwise significant fines).

https://www.dcaa.gov.ae/en/Pages/RPASRegistration.aspx?sid=16

Thank you. So for example, if I wanted to film for a holiday, I wouldn't be allowed? As recreational use doesn't allow recording. I find this rule to be a bit extreme.
PS: Also that link you sent me, to apply, you need a UAE ID number and address. So this isn't possible?
2018-3-13
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Droning-On Posted at 2018-3-13 09:19
Thank you. So for example, if I wanted to film for a holiday, I wouldn't be allowed? As recreational use doesn't allow recording. I find this rule to be a bit extreme.
PS: Also that link you sent me, to apply, you need a UAE ID number and address. So this isn't possible?

The 'no filming' thing is for the GCAA. DCAA it is allowed. Not too sure what the process for registration is for non-UAE residents. Best to email the DCAA for this. FWIW I have never been asked for my drone ID rego while living here though.
2018-3-13
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 2018-3-13 20:52
The 'no filming' thing is for the GCAA. DCAA it is allowed. Not too sure what the process for registration is for non-UAE residents. Best to email the DCAA for this. FWIW I have never been asked for my drone ID rego while living here though.

It seems impossible to find anything on tourists registering with the DCAA. It's a real shame as we've been looking into this for a while.

To be shot down with the 'No filming' rule is pretty pointless as an overall reason for flying or bringing a drone into Dubai.

I really hope and wish someone has the answer I'm sure so many people are looking for.
2018-3-16
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
United Kingdom

Tourists cannot register. You must be a UAE resident to register and fly a drone legally in Dubai. Don’t even take your drone there it will be confiscated on scanning your bags before exiting the airport.
2018-3-16
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dan_vector Posted at 2018-3-16 11:35
Tourists cannot register. You must be a UAE resident to register and fly a drone legally in Dubai. Don’t even take your drone there it will be confiscated on scanning your bags before exiting the airport.

Thanks for your reply.

I hear people who get in just fine, you wrote that down as if drones are deadly weapons. I found these on the DCAA Q & A page.

2018-3-16
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So i just signed up on the DCAA website and i'm not even a UAE citizen!

2018-3-16
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Droning-On Posted at 2018-3-16 15:12
So i just signed up on the DCAA website and i'm not even a UAE citizen!

Have you received your NOC yet? I haven’t heard of anyone actually getting one who is Non-UAE resident. I live in Oman just across the border and even for us it’s almost impossible unless you do a course at the Dubai Academy and get a certificate which you need to use to register with the DCAA. Good luck.
2018-3-18
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dan_vector Posted at 2018-3-18 04:00
Have you received your NOC yet? I haven’t heard of anyone actually getting one who is Non-UAE resident. I live in Oman just across the border and even for us it’s almost impossible unless you do a course at the Dubai Academy and get a certificate which you need to use to register with the DCAA. Good luck.

So during my registration process. I haven't seen anything about a NOC. I get the choice to apply as a commercial, commercial tourist etc.

We are going to try applying on Tuesday, so I will let you all know what happens after that.
2018-3-18
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Droning-On Posted at 2018-3-18 04:47
So during my registration process. I haven't seen anything about a NOC. I get the choice to apply as a commercial, commercial tourist etc.

We are going to try applying on Tuesday, so I will let you all know what happens after that.

You’ll get the NOC if the DCAA approve your application. You will need to submit proof of formal certification such as a PfCO in the UK or Part 107 from the USA. The issue is that you won’t get approval without it. Even UAE residents have to attend the course at the Dubai Drone Academy before they can gain DCAA approval to operate. Without the NOC it is highly likely you’ll get your drone confiscated on arrival in Dubai as all luggage is scanned as you exit the airport.
2018-3-18
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UPDATE-----UPDATE------UPDATE

I've been able to register my drone and we are heading over in April. I've had at least 20 email talks with the DCAA.

FILMING IS ALLOWED IN DUBAI.

Have fun be safe, adhere to the rules as a tourist!
2018-3-27
Use props
Drone Motion
lvl.2
United Kingdom

That was an awful experiece. Never fly in Dubai, even with permission.
2018-4-26
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft

Drone Motion Posted at 2018-4-26 00:22

Sorry to hear that but it comes as no great surprise
2018-4-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Can you elaborate ?
2018-4-26
Use props
Drone Motion
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've posted this on my Facebook, here's the story.

As most of you know, we went to Dubai at the end of April and our main purpose for the trip was to film with the drone, for our portfolio. We had been granted permission via the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, which had taken a while to get our hands on. So we felt pumped for this trip!

Unfortunately, our 2nd day is where this all went wrong. As we were filming away on the Palm in a clear to fly zone, security stopped us and started asking questions. This lead to a 3-hour wait in an underground security office. We were interrogated with multiple questions and split up. With the massive uncertainty of where this situation was going, we were fearing the worst, to then be told the police were on their way…

As the police turned up with an entourage of many very important looking people, (owner of the island we were filming on, who knows.) We were instructed to delete all prior footage we had taken and forced to write an apology letter on the spot. I know words can only say so much, but a £5,000 fine and real jail time were on the cards.

IF we had NOT gained our permission and printed out ALL of our licences, I would be writing this from a Dubai jail cell, not the comfort of an Oxfordshire office…

Boy, does it feel good to be home.

2018-5-15
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tried to tell you!! We live in the region and tried to give you the benefit of our experience. It just isn't worth the hassle.
The region is so disjointed that even with permissions from one government organisation you still end up falling fowl of another.

I've recently returned all my aircraft back to the UK and will resume drone flying on completion of my assignment here.
2018-5-15
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

From the photos it looks as you were flying in Palm Jumeirah which is a zone that requires the builders permission to fly.   I live in Dubai and regularly fly in areas that is allowed without a problem.
2018-6-18
Use props
themiyao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29386 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Rivi Posted at 2018-6-18 07:36
From the photos it looks as you were flying in Palm Jumeirah which is a zone that requires the builders permission to fly.   I live in Dubai and regularly fly in areas that is allowed without a problem.

I am gonna register myself this week. But I am wondering what are the flying zones in dubai ? Is Exit 55 is a flying zone or not ?
2018-8-26
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
India

themiyao Posted at 2018-8-26 00:33
I am gonna register myself this week. But I am wondering what are the flying zones in dubai ? Is Exit 55 is a flying zone or not ?

Exit 55 is a flying zone. Download the UAE Drone app on your phone and it tells you if you can fly on your current location or not.
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules