Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello all,

I noticed that the DJI Geo Zone Maps are vasty different from the UAV Site Selection Tool from Transport Canada.  In many sites(Especically in Southern Ontario), the locations require a NOTAM from NAV Canada and an SFOC from Transport Canada.

LINK: https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/s ... selection_tool.html

Shouldn't these areas be at least a yellow or red zone on the Geo Maps considering the amount of approval that is needed from both NAV Canada and Transport Canada?

Thank you.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for the feedback, I will forward your post to the proper team to confirm.
2018-3-14
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-14 01:39
Thank you for the feedback, I will forward your post to the proper team to confirm.

Thanks Thor.  Flying within these areas can lead up to a $25K fine.
2018-3-18
Use props
cormad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4698 ft
Canada

Hey Burlingtonfilms:
2018-3-27
Use props
cormad
lvl.2
Canada

Hey Burlingtonfilms;
I am interested starting a small drone business in the Belleville, Ontario area (Eastern Ontario), If I look at the map you linked there is really no area nearby that I can fly in. I was wondering  the work around are and level of effort for permits ? insurance ?
2018-3-27
Use props
cormad
lvl.2
Canada

cormad Posted at 2018-3-27 06:35
Hey Burlingtonfilms;
I am interested starting a small drone business in the Belleville, Ontario area (Eastern Ontario), If I look at the map you linked there is really no area nearby that I can fly in. I was wondering  the work around are and level of effort for permits ? insurance ?

Screen Shot 03-27-18 at 10.36 AM.JPG
Screen Shot 03-27-18 at 10.36 AM.JPG
2018-3-27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

cormad Posted at 2018-3-27 06:35
Hey Burlingtonfilms;
I am interested starting a small drone business in the Belleville, Ontario area (Eastern Ontario), If I look at the map you linked there is really no area nearby that I can fly in. I was wondering  the work around are and level of effort for permits ? insurance ?

Depending on the exact address and flight path, you will most likely need written permission to fly from each location, an SFOC, uav insurance and contacting the airports or helipads and getting a NOTAM.  It's a ton of work but the only way to fly legally.

It's kind of like driving a car.  You can drive without a drivers licence or without car insurance, but if you were ever in an accident or got pulled over...
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I think you should never rely on NFZ enforcement from DJI's NFZ implemetation. NFZ compliance should be every pilots own responsibility and not been taken lightly.
It's commendable to give NFZ info to DJI to implement, but you should always check the official sources for the area's you tend to fly in.
You can never say blame DJI's for being fined in a NFZ, its totally your own fault if you get one.
2018-3-27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 08:54
I think you should never rely on NFZ enforcement from DJI's NFZ implemetation. NFZ compliance should be every pilots own responsibility and not been taken lightly.
It's commendable to give NFZ info to DJI to implement, but you should always check the official sources for the area's you tend to fly in.
You can never say blame DJI's for being fined in a NFZ, its totally your own fault if you get one.

+1  The NFZ is not even close to where or where not it's legal to fly in Canada.

But when a new pilot buys a DJI UAV, they are going to depend on the app telling them where or not to fly.
If DJI can make it at least close to all of these NFZ from https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/s ... selection_tool.html  it will prevent many of the problems that the public are complaining about, not to mention safer.
2018-3-27
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2018-3-27 09:03
+1  The NFZ is not even close to where or where not it's legal to fly in Canada.

But when a new pilot buys a DJI UAV, they are going to depend on the app telling them where or not to fly.

Sadly, I think you are right and many users will depend on DJI to endorse their flights...

Can confirm It works the other way round to, I've flown in a few DJI designated enhanced warning zones, while there were no official NFZ's issued for the area's.
2018-3-27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-27 09:12
Sadly, I think you are right and many users will depend on DJI to endorse their flights...

Can confirm It works the other way round to, I've flown in a few DJI designated enhanced warning zones, while there were no official NFZ's issued for the area's.

Same here regarding the warning zones being different from the official TC NFZ.

When it comes to Canada, I think the Geo zones are in desperate need of a 2018 update.
2018-3-27
Use props
cormad
lvl.2
Canada

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2018-3-27 08:45
Depending on the exact address and flight path, you will most likely need written permission to fly from each location, an SFOC, uav insurance and contacting the airports or helipads and getting a NOTAM.  It's a ton of work but the only way to fly legally.

It's kind of like driving a car.  You can drive without a drivers licence or without car insurance, but if you were ever in an accident or got pulled over...

Thanks for the response;
I don't mind doing all the  paper work, training and insurance. My issue is that can I get a "blanket" SFOC for my area ? or do I need to submit a flight plan for authorization every time I want to fly ?  I assume the authorizations take a lot of time ? The NOTAMS seem to be a daunting task. I do work at  the Canadian Air Force Base in Trenton,I would definitely stay away from there Zone.
Jeff  
2018-3-27
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

One thing that bothers me is that this is a government site and the information displayed does not reflect the current drone laws at all. Per Say the radius around the Ottawa airport is far to large. I know there is a disclaimer stating this site insn't updated and to check the regulations but common! UAV forecast does a great job however )
2018-3-27
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It be a great addition to the DJI GO app to have the option to check for NFZ's - just saying. All things considered I am quiet surprised this isnt a feature yet
2018-3-27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Rawsome Posted at 2018-3-27 16:34
It be a great addition to the DJI GO app to have the option to check for NFZ's - just saying. All things considered I am quiet surprised this isnt a feature yet

Same.  Dji use this map instead.

https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/solutions/collaborative/civuas/uav_site_selection_tool.html

Could you imagine if Google maps or Waze were this outdated?  People would driving in areas they weren’t suppose too all the time, because they trust the app.

But if a new pilot buys a dji drone, it isn’t clear that the dji No Fly Zones are only for reference.

2018-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules